What game are you playing?

AwakenTheSkies

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Finished Far Cry 3. I already didn't like Ubisoft open world games from my two previous (and admittedly brief) forays into the Assassin's Creed series. But if FC3 is a top shelf experience in that regard, it must be on a shelf in a short girls house.

I did get all three Dead Space games in the mail yesterday so I'll be starting on those after work tomorrow.

It was really cool in it's time. Like GTA but FPS, on a tropical island with animals. Also with weapon customization. And the graphics looked really good. I guess now it's not as impressive because it's almost 10 years old and there's many games using the same formula.

AwakenTheSkies

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I just finished RDR2 a few days ago and now I'm starting AC Origins.

RDR2 has been a bit slow. Maybe I didn't enjoy it as much because I knew everything that was going to happen already? I watched the whole story on YT when the game released. The first RDR never released on PC so I didn't expect this one to ever be on PC either. Anyway RDR2 is a very good looking game with good story and characters, but I wasn't satisfied with the gameplay. Actually sometimes I got frustrated..

Anyway AC Origins is looking a lot more promising, I know nothing about it. And I really liked Odyssey.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Finally getting towards the end of Dark Souls 2 NG+. Switched to an ultra greatsword on Sinh and killed him second try, after dying over and over and over when trying spells and other melee weapons. Felt for a little bit like I was totally awesome or something, he didn't hit me till he was less than half health, upon which I self-destructed and kept getting hit and barely squeaked through. But man, the whole fight took less time than half the attempts where I barely got him down to 50%. Feels pretty easily repeatable, assuming luck is somewhat in my favor. Of course, it requires summoning the tank phantom.

Ran through most of the Iron Keep DLC including that asshole phantom that runs away through tons of monsters (I love using the seed of the giant tree which causes the monsters to turn on him and kill him for you), got to Fume Knight, promptly got 2-shot by him a couple times using the strat I did last time - wear the Velstadt helm to push him into P2 instantly, take off all other armor, use attack-boosting rings and then just use the red iron twinblade 2h and roll through everything. Got him to about 15% the first attempt, and then just kept screwing things up early on, mainly due to the difficulty of dodging that orb explosion thing he does that hits for over 50% of your health. Then I put on resistance rings, some light armor with high dark/fire resist, used great magic barrier at the start of the fight, and tried again with slow stamina regen, and easily beat him first try since all of his attacks were hitting me for 1/6 my health instead of 1/2!! Having basically all the items in-game sure gives you a lot of options for cheesing things. Having the hollow skin helm from my previous clear was a BIG one, that thing negates curse and there are a lot of curse-fog areas in this dlc.

Got to Alonne, and had completely forgotten about the insanely tedious boss run to him. It's two full rooms of knights and those fire-breathing salamanders. You can technically run past everything if you do things JUST RIGHT, but it takes 5-10 minutes to clear through the knights. Fortunately he's a total pushover if you use a greatshield, the only attacks that you have to dodge are his jump and the thing where he stabs you with magic and then goes into super-damage mode. If you dodge all those, it's just a block/poke fight! Two tries.

Tried getting to the blue smelter demon once, remembered the boss run was terrible, but not just how terrible it was. What a nightmare. I used 7 of my estus and that was with running past the last couple mobs, upon which I realized I hadn't dismissed the two phantoms I had helping with trash so I was screwed anyway due to his health being massively buffed, and he promptly stabbed me in the face before I could heal up. I'll probably bother with this guy, but definitely not the gank squad "boss" in the sunken king dlc since there's no reward whatsoever if you've already done it, and probably not the dual tiger boss cause it has the worst section of the entire game as the boss run and they'll probably be insanely difficult on NG+ besides.

I think this game is vastly superior to DS1, which I guess is kind of reflected by the fact my save file has 180 hours on it!! The quality of life changes alone make it a massively better experience, the weapon/build variety is much greater, you're given a lot more room to experiment with the addition of respecs and how fast you can level and how common crafting materials are, and I just like a lot of the zones better than DS1's. There's something to be said for the sheer dread instilled in you knowing you have to go all the way back up through blighttown to get to safety with DS1's metroid-style map, but after a couple playthroughs it's mostly just tedious as hell. The locations of keys are pretty arcane and the fragrant branch of yore gating mechanic is sort of annoying, but I tend to explore enough that I never had a problem being unable to get where I was supposed to be going.

Plus nothing in 2 is even close to as stressful to me, someone with extreme vertigo, as Anor Londo's rafters. There's nothing as oppressively dark as Tomb of the Giants that can't be overcome with the game's Torch system. And there's no poison swamp, an infuriating standby of Miyazaki games! Just an area with a bunch of poison clouds that don't slow you! DS2 might have a lot of "filler" bosses according to critics, but I don't think DS1 has that many "good" bosses either - DS2's worst boss is still better than fighting CEASELESS DISCHARGE or Bed of Chaos. DS3 and BB definitely trounce both games in this department.

Anyway AC Origins is looking a lot more promising, I know nothing about it. And I really liked Odyssey.

I played Origins after Odyssey, too. It has the benefit of a much more interesting and likable protagonist plus his wife is a really memorable character - the story is just a lot better even if it fumbles things at the end. However, I primarily played Odyssey as an archer build - it was totally viable once you had a ton of crafting materials and the right armor set to use arrows as your main attacks. Origins does not even remotely allow for this since you can only hold like 20 arrows at a time and you can't craft more. If you're playing a stealth build, it's probably superior, since your assassinations actually kill people instead of doing an amount of "assassination damage" based on your gear that may or may not kill them. Melee, it's about equivalent, I guess.

I love the Dunkey video about it (I love how he harps on the Feather thing) and can kind of agree with him that the series is awful. But, I enjoyed it anyway.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Really don't get into new games much. Pillars of Eternity was okay, but once I figured out the combat system my party could auto attack everything to death on the hardest setting while I ripped fat bowls. I got close to the end but never actually finished due to the lack of engagement.

Playing through some of the user-generated Neverwinter Nights campaigns currently. It's a lot like playing fanfiction, which means sometimes it's great and sometimes you roll your eyes. On Aielund Saga right now, the writing is pretty one dimensional but the combat is refreshingly difficult from the official campaigns.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Oof, and right before a full remake of 1 is coming out! Well, next year, anyway. I haven't played 1, but 2 is great and I actually like the much-lambasted 3. Just look up a good crafted weapon or two and don't concern yourself again with the awful crafting/micro-transactions system.

I thought FC1 was great until you found out that the bad guys are doing biological experiments on the island and all of a sudden you're fighting weird monkey monsters instead of mercenaries :lol: After that I just quit. I wouldn't mind giving the full remake a try though.

Carrion Rocket

Taiwan is a Country
Reaction score
It was really cool in it's time. Like GTA but FPS, on a tropical island with animals. Also with weapon customization. And the graphics looked really good. I guess now it's not as impressive because it's almost 10 years old and there's many games using the same formula.

I think if I hadn't of played Shadow of Mordor years ago I'd have probably have enjoyed FC3 more. SoM did the Ubisoft formula so much better than any other game, imo. And while I agree that the environment of FC3 is amazing, the story falls off a cliff after you take out Vaas and thus tanks the experience. That infiltration mission where you have to steal the privateer outfit almost made me quit playing all together.

I did play through Blood Dragon and that was quite enjoyable. Killing off the main villain in a cutscene was pathetic, though.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I thought FC1 was great until you found out that the bad guys are doing biological experiments on the island and all of a sudden you're fighting weird monkey monsters instead of mercenaries :lol: After that I just quit. I wouldn't mind giving the full remake a try though.

That post was about the Dead Space trilogy! Is there a farcry 1 remake coming too? I've heard a lot of people say that game was cool until the aliens showed up and it got frustrating. Never had any motivation to play it, myself.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
That post was about the Dead Space trilogy! Is there a farcry 1 remake coming too? I've heard a lot of people say that game was cool until the aliens showed up and it got frustrating. Never had any motivation to play it, myself.

:lol: My bad! The descriptions could've matched Far Cry too though. I don't know if a remake is actually coming but there's been rumors about it over the years.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Chapter 8 of Guardians of the Galaxy. Does "Never Gonna Give You Up" playing after you do a huddle attack constitute getting Rick rolled?

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
I just bought the NERF MA40 Halo blaster because I love it so much, and wanted the in game skin.

KnightBrolaire

meet me in the pit
Reaction score
Been playing a lot of halo and I like everything except the ttk. The ttk is a bit too high with some of the pickup weapons e.g the heatwave, commando, pulse carbine, shotty.
The disruptor pistol has quickly become one of my favorites though. It melts shields and has minimal bloom. Really good for 1v1s

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
Been playing a lot of halo and I like everything except the ttk. The ttk is a bit too high with some of the pickup weapons e.g the heatwave, commando, pulse carbine, shotty.
The disruptor pistol has quickly become one of my favorites though. It melts shields and has minimal bloom. Really good for 1v1s

Agreed and the AR is too powerful.

Carrion Rocket

Taiwan is a Country
Reaction score
Finished Dead Space.

Pretty good, but it did get to the point of parody at times. There were a couple parts where I thought of that Randy Marsh "I'm so startled" clip from the giant guinea pig episode of South Park. Which I guess is pretty ironic since both came out the same month.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Finished Dead Space.

Pretty good, but it did get to the point of parody at times. There were a couple parts where I thought of that Randy Marsh "I'm so startled" clip from the giant guinea pig episode of South Park. Which I guess is pretty ironic since both came out the same month.

I haven't played 1, but I think it was more "horror" than 2. 2 is a combination horror/action game. The camera is way too claustrophobic for my liking, but the combat's really fun and the weapons are great. 3 is pretty much straight action, no horror. So, maybe you'll like the sequels more??