What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Cyberpunk worked mostly fine for me on PS5. I'm waiting for the native PS5 version to do another playthrough.

TedEH likes this.
  2. StevenC

StevenC Javier Strat 8 2022

Part of me deep inside feels warm every time Cyberpunk is mentioned in a negative way.

3. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

You know, we had our little argument about this a while back. But in their hubris, CD Projekt Red tried to promise the biggest game in the world at the expense of their employees wellbeing, only to crash and burn with an incomplete product on launch... we're on the same side.

StevenC and Mathemagician like this.
  4. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

(DS2 Spoiler)

Gutter has multiple paths/extra bonfires. Just FYI.

This is what I’m waiting for a Native PS5 update. And ideally some juicy DLC too. Gimme dat content I’ll never finish!

5. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Gutter sucks. I definitely missed the first bonfire in it cause if you fall off the wrong ledge you can't get back up to it, and then I looked around for items for a bit but didn't remember anything really important being in there so I just got out as fast as possible. Kind of the same deal with black gulch, I couldn't remember what the point is of those giants under the level that you have to fall down to so I just killed everything on the upper level and the boss as quickly and carefully as possible and got out!

Iron Keep was the hardest zone yet as a caster, those Alonne knights are EVERYWHERE and will absolutely get in your face and hit faster than you can cast, so you have to either snipe them with arrows or burn them down as they're running out you. They really weren't that bad on NG as a shield/1h mace build. I died a few times, and then just resorted to every time going through that secret passage up behind the grate where you can snipe out the whole big upper level with arrows with no chance of reprisal. Tedious, but safe! I had to look up the location of the bonfire closest to old iron king, that ladder was hard to see. He killed me a couple times due to the huge difference in his possible attack patterns and the fact you instantly die if you lose track of your position and roll into the lava!

One of the hardest parts of this game is figuring out where to go next. The progression's wonky, even on a repeat playthrough (partly cause I used a lot of walkthroughs on playthrough 1 cause I was so scared of the game, and thus didn't have to figure anything out that time and thus didn't memorize it very well). On NG I killed that npc that sells miracles without knowing what I was doing, and I guess she dropped the key to turn the gate in the basement in Majula. I left her alive this time and didn't realize you had to talk to her till she moves back to Majula, and then she opens that gate for you herself! But, that was nothing compared to trying to figure out where to go after getting the 4 great souls. I knew that door in shaded woods went to DLC, but I did not remember at all that it also went to Drangleic Castle, and that it also just automatically unlocks once you have 4 great souls but is locked beforehand. So, I had to look up where to go next. Ah well.

Drangleic was also horrible as a caster, I had to rush through that big room with all the statues that come alive and the ruin sentinels locked behind the doors cause killing any of them is vastly more dangerous and slow than it was just chunking them all with a 2H mace. Going up the stairs, etc and then the twin dragonslayer boss was all easy, though. Can't wait to try the PVP boss; I'll probably have to do it offline like on playthrough 1. Since I did so much grinding on playthrough 1 I'm a very high soul level (230) and I've been on online mode for all of NG+ so far and have gotten invaded a grand total of once, by some idiot who did nothing other than try to stab me with that spear that does equipment damage that was easily killed just by spamming dark orb at him for a while since he was so bad at rolling and trying so hard to break my equipment rather than just kill me. :p

Anyway, I finally watched that Elden Ring gameplay. I'm kind of ambivalent. I mean, the gameplay/enemies look incredible and I absolutely want more DS3, but the open world thing does NOT appeal to me with this particular subgenre. A big part of the appeal of the DS/BB games for me is that there's so little filler and it's so relentless. Having to run through empty fields between encounters doesn't sound appealing at this point, even though I actually like some newer Ubisoft games. I guess with those you can save anywhere and they autosave all the time, while this game clearly has bonfire equivalents and thus if you go exploring for a while and then get killed it looks like you'd be doing a LOT of travel again to get where you were.

I guess it also just sort of looked in that preview like it was pretty standard DS3 areas and bosses but spread out. The spell effects, etc looked crazy. I'm definitely going to preorder it and play the crap out of it, but I guess the open world thing itself doesn't excite me in this particular case.

6. Mathemagician

I think I confused the gutter and black gulch. I’m talking about the one with poison statues along the wall and a giant chasm on the right you can easily roll off before fighting the meaty pile of bodies at the end.

(Spoilies)
    That place has secret bonfires. And I believe the area you mentioned below the path is for shortcuts.

7. wankerness

Yeah, that's black gulch. I'd forgotten The Gutter had poison statues, but it definitely does in a few places. Black Gulch just has a zillion of them. I did find the bonfire close to the boss entrance, but yeah, I think there was at least one area you had to get to by falling off the ledge back by where the worms came out. I remember fighting two giants in one room via running into a safe area and sniping them with poison arrows for a long time on NG. I'll do that again eventually, I just think maybe there was no point to that area until you get to Vendrick and thus need all those giant souls from the memories and assorted giants to lower his defense or whatever the mechanic was. They're still all in my inventory from NG, so I don't know if I even need to do that a second time.

The Gutter is the really dark, crappy place with the wooden structures and the breakaway floors. It's the closest equivalent this game has to the valley of defilement/blighttown.

Mathemagician likes this.
  8. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Started playing Legion TD 2 last night and it's still as fun as I remember during the Warcraft 3 days. Bee. Way too long since I've played a good tower defence, especially one that isn't on mobile.

9. Mathemagician

So this Lost Ark pc game is looking good. It’s checking a lot of boxes for me.

10. wankerness

DS2 Executioner's Chariot is SERIOUS bullshit on NG+ as a caster. I've gotten killed over 15 times on this already, that's more than any boss on NG except maybe Fume Knight. This was after just easily 1-shotting both bosses in Drangleic Castle. The skeletons are way too resilient and they don't get very affected by the chariot running them over, so I'm constantly getting destroyed by them since they get resurrected almost instantly if I don't manage to kill the Necro fast enough. If I manage to get to the necromancer and kill him, the skeletons still have most of their health due to the chariot not doing much damage to them and then they still manage to get me in the corner and destroy me well before the chariot can come around again.

Then on the rare occasions I kill the first necro/skeles, there's FIVE skeletons that all swarm you as soon as you start running to the next. All skeles and casters take 3+ hits each and the skeles attack way too fast to deal with them unless you're far away, and if you use a 1H melee weapon they can parry and riposte you, which will also get you run over by the chariot since you're frozen in place. It's completely insane. I've gotten to P2 once, where I was out of Estus, chipped him down to 50% and then got hit with breath once and died (i only have 5 at the boss since the trash and especially the havel clone right before him were insane). I'm actually save scumming this too, since on NG+ you have to deal with FOUR red phantoms on each runback. It's bizarre that this is by far the hardest part of the game so far, since I don't remember it being hard at all on NG (and the trash not being red phantoms there certainly helped with runs back). I think the skeletons died instantly from the chariot running over, plus I was like 1-shotting them with a mace with a strength build. Just goes to show how a little HP scaling can make a huge difference in strategy/difficulty! I might just give up since you don't get anything important from beating it.

11. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

Neptune's Pride has sucked-up far too much of my time lately. Picture Olde School Table-Top Diplomacy (with the behind the scenes alliances/treachery) + Resource/Research Management all happening realtime over the course of days to weeks. It's the only game I've gotten up early for to launch a sneak attack, knowing that an opponent checks-in "before breakfast" and "before bedtime" and pretty much ignores the game between those times.

StevenC likes this.
  12. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Got to the end of Metroid Prime 3.

Good game, but didn't quite make the same impression that the first Prime did. I've heard a lot of people say they like 1 and 3 more than 2, but I think 1 and 2 rank higher for me. My disc was scratched so I played in Dolphin instead. While it works really well with some enhancements that way, there's some jank that comes with it. Anti-aliasing breaks outlines, and higher resolutions sometimes make the scan visor go wonky, so a lot of the time I shut those things off and played it vanilla.

The good:
    - I like the pointer controls, whether it's a real wii controller or a mouse.
    - Some of the new powers are pretty good.
    - The "hypermode" thing feels good to use.
    - The visuals still stand up, especially when you upscale with Dolphin.

The bad:
    - The game overstayed its welcome, like most Prime games tend to - mostly because of the late-game fetch quest. At several points I thought "alright, cool, I think the endgame is coming, and I'm satisfied with how this went" to discover there was a lot more backtracking to do. The game also doesn't tell you that you don't need all the end-game power cell thingies, so I got all of them.
    - Hypermode, while fun, felt kinda half-baked, and it replaced a lot of series staples.
    - Waggly wii controller stuff. Dolphin didn't handle this stuff very well either.
    - Cheesy side characters.
    - Lots of weird spoken dialogue.
    - Doesn't have that lonely Metroid vibe.
    - No escape sequence at the end.
    - The end game planet is called Phaaze. What a terrible name. If they had spun it as a bit of a joke, like a character went "yeah, it's on the nose, but I didn't pick the name" or something, I could live with it, but it was played strait, and just felt like the most lazy generic on-the-nose sci-fi name.

I'm glad I played it, but I'm not sad that it's over. If I feel the urge to replay one of the Prime games, I'll probably just go back to the first one.

CovertSovietBear and wankerness like this.
  13. wankerness

Got to Vendrick and the Dragon Aerie in DS2, had to take a break. Started up RE8, got to the first save point and quit. I'm really not digging it so far, but I assume things will improve as I get out of deserted villages and don't have to deal with garbage weapons vs hordes of werewolves!

14. StevenC

StevenC Javier Strat 8 2022

This is the most obsessed I've ever been with a game and it consumed my whole life for like a month in university. But I haven't been able to convince people to play again and even then have been thinking about it non stop.

ElRay likes this.
  15. mmr007

mmr007 (anti)Social Influencer

Aliens Fireteam Elite....sure is repetitive though and you cannot play the game without suffering a 20GB software update download each login.

16. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

I'm waiting for a turn-based game to start: https://np.ironhelmet.com/game/6156257587888128 There's 3 of 6 players in it now. Turn-based are definitely easier to avoid becoming all-consuming. It's odd when things get tense for everybody in the game - I had one game that started as one turn (8-hours) per IRL-day and then we completed three Game-days in one IRL-evening.

17. wankerness

I didn't realize the DS2 DLC was specifically designed to punish casters, with most enemies and bosses being highly magic-resistant. Glad I read that before trying it out. Guess it's time to respec! Thank god this isn't like Demon's Souls/DS1 where you can't respec.

Tried Vendrick for a bit, he 1-shot me when I was 100% health after I hit him a few times. Whoops. Guess I'll try him again once I'm back to being a beefy strength build with tons of armor.

I guess I forgot that this game's Bonfire Ascetics mechanic stacks with NG+ levels, so some of the stuff that was giving me trouble was stuff I'd used a bonfire ascetic on in NG when I was going around trying to get some of the NG+ rings without actually playing NG+. Thus making the chariot boss and Vendrick, among others that I didn't have trouble with, equivalent to NG++ instead of NG+ like most of the content. I love how complicated this game is, but kind of hate it too. I had to look up how to actually unlock the DLC today since I had no memory; all three of them have keys in ludicrously obscure locations that I don't see anyone ever happening upon by accident.

Been playing Nier Automata here and there; it's weird how drab it feels to me. I think that game benefitted from being one of the first games I played on the system. I still utterly love the soundtrack and the character/enemy design, but the world seems kind of empty and ugly, and I really don't like the way lock-on works compared to Nier Replicant. I dunno. Maybe I need to play more to get back fully invested in it again.

18. rokket2005

rokket2005 SS.org Regular

I started up Crosscode the other night, going to try to get through it before SMT V gets here.
    So far it's pretty cool. I think whoever did the music used the same midi instruments that Mitsuda did on Chrono Trigger. The combat feels pretty good, melee attacking feels like Hawks moveset from Seiken Densetsu 3, the ball throwing is similar to something else too but I can't think of what at the moment. I'm only through the first real dungeon so far but some of the puzzles are kind of challenging already, a little Zelda-ish even. The characters and story so far are likeable enough, but the circuit system, basically a ffx sphere grid, is what's really got me hooked so far.

19. CovertSovietBear

CovertSovietBear Lord Bagel Supreme

Getting ready to preload Battlefield 2042 on my PS5 tonight - taking Friday off when it's out

20. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular