What game are you playing?

ImNotAhab

ChronicUnderachiever
Reaction score
So I tried Avengers since it's on gamepass and man I really did not like it. I found that it handles very poorly, it feels heavy but not impactful. It is also boring as hell but I am not a MMO/Destiny guy so the grind is not my jam.
Looks great though, I will give it that. I really did like Kamala too. The story and beats were great, it's just let down by the actual gameplay.

CovertSovietBear

ブロリー
Reaction score
Surprised I'm not seeing anything about Dread. Got it at launch. Maybe half way through. Happy with it so far.
Seen a playthrough, new mechanics seem subtle and integrated, not sure about how it sits thematically (Prime 2 was my favorite title) but it seems to align with the events in Fusion.
Too bad I don't have a Switch :frantic:

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Metroid Dread doesn't look at all appealing to me; I don't like the emphasis on "being scared" that they seem to have placed on the game. I'm a Metroid Prime 1 diehard. I like the desolate feel of that, I like the exploration and look of it, etc. Being under threat of constantly dying and having stuff jump out at me is not what I want from the series. I also haven't really liked any of the others I've dabbled in that much, though I have played all the way through Super Metroid a couple times and MP2 most of the way. I have the 3DS one and a (defective) copy of Zero Mission, I think, but haven't played either for more than an hour.

If you're too cheap for a switch but have a beefy pc (which would be weird since a Switch would cost 1/3 the amount of a good graphics card), evidently the emulated version of Metroid: Dread looks better and runs more smoothly than the Switch version. It's very weird to me how good the Nintendo emulators are. Seems like the Switch one must be better than the PS2 ones out there, let alone PS3.

CovertSovietBear

ブロリー
Reaction score
There's an official Switch emulator? Or are we talking through other means, because I've played through Super Metroid, Zero Mission and Fusion on PC before. Haven't played the Prime trilogy emulated due to lack of ISOs that don't stall while loading.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So a Reddit email popped up saying Blue Point games is working on a Bloodbourne PS5 Remaster, and a sequel.

remaster? Hell yes. Sequel? Doesn’t sound very believable that From would let someone else do that. I am skeptical of that news.
There's an official Switch emulator? Or are we talking through other means, because I've played through Super Metroid, Zero Mission and Fusion on PC before. Haven't played the Prime trilogy emulated due to lack of ISOs that don't stall while loading.

OFFICIAL? Hell no. Nintendo would never release an emulator. No one has as far as I know. I really don’t understand your question tbph. It’s just as illegal as every other emulator, but it apparently works really well, and even better than on a switch in some cases.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Finally going through the back part of playthrough 2 of Nier: Replicant. This is THE most depressing game I've ever played. Just completely bleak, nihilistic, no faith in humanity whatsoever, constant twisting of the knife through playthrough 2. Nier: Automata seems like Sesame Street in comparison.

Mathemagician

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So I checked out genshin impact. Dunno if it’s come up yet in this thread. It’s basically a VERY high budget mobile-game MMO. You get characters and weapons through lootboxes. However there is a voice-acted (very)anime save-the-world story in there. No idea I’m if going to keep playing it, but yeah is this what all free games are now? Just the fifa card packs slapped onto whatever shell the game is?

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Finally going through the back part of playthrough 2 of Nier: Replicant. This is THE most depressing game I've ever played. Just completely bleak, nihilistic, no faith in humanity whatsoever, constant twisting of the knife through playthrough 2. Nier: Automata seems like Sesame Street in comparison.

Makes sense. Despite the themes of Automata, it's the most humane of Yoko Taro's work. Ending E was apparently inspired by a Coca Cola commercial that tried to bring people together. Turns out somewhere during developing that game, Taro grew a heart.

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
Surprised I'm not seeing anything about Dread. Got it at launch. Maybe half way through. Happy with it so far.
I got caught up in a Samus Returns playthrough over the weekend, which I'll finish off before starting DREAD today.
It's very weird to me how good the Nintendo emulators are.
One word: Melee

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score

Well, now I need to go back to Replicant...

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Metroid Dread doesn't look at all appealing to me; I don't like the emphasis on "being scared" that they seem to have placed on the game. I'm a Metroid Prime 1 diehard. I like the desolate feel of that, I like the exploration and look of it, etc. Being under threat of constantly dying and having stuff jump out at me is not what I want from the series.
IMO it's more just a general environmental atmosphere than it is a mechanical horror-type tension. All the standard Metroid-y exploring and getting new items and re-exploring and boss fights then getting a bit lost and going in circles and then finding a new power then repeat, etc., is all there. The bits you're probably referring to aren't a constant. If anything, I'd think it's more mechanically like "normal Metroid game with occasional stealth segments". Alien Isolation it is not. Not by a long shot.

I got caught up in a Samus Returns
This is, IMO, the closest comparison to this game so far, and if you like one, you're likely to enjoy the other. In a way, Dread is to Super as Samus Returns is to Metroid 2. I haven't played Fusion, so I can't comment on that one, but I can say that Dread feels directly comparable to Samus Returns. If you told me it was a sequel to that, I'd believe you.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Far Cry 6 is pretty good. So far.

I'm interested in 6 but on the fence. It sounds like (and seen in videos) enemies tend to be bullet sponges.

I really liked 5, it was my introduction to the series. I tried 3 and it was okay but the story and characters are so godawful I wanted them all to die. Tried to get into New Dawn but it just felt like a weird rehash of 5 and I couldn't get into it.

I wish Ubisoft would make a game that used that engine but got away from the FC formula. The driving and combat was enjoyable in FC5, so changing up the format for a different type of FPS game could be great.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm interested in 6 but on the fence. It sounds like (and seen in videos) enemies tend to be bullet sponges.

I really liked 5, it was my introduction to the series. I tried 3 and it was okay but the story and characters are so godawful I wanted them all to die. Tried to get into New Dawn but it just felt like a weird rehash of 5 and I couldn't get into it.

I wish Ubisoft would make a game that used that engine but got away from the FC formula. The driving and combat was enjoyable in FC5, so changing up the format for a different type of FPS game could be great.

Ubisoft has been making "weird rehashes" of all their mainline Farcry games. I think they're better in some regards, they're shorter and thus have way less bloat, and release for 40 instead of 60 dollars. Far Cry 5 is redone as New Dawn and removes the awful kidnapping mechanic but streamlines a lot of other stuff and puts it in the post-apocalypse; Far Cry 4 is redone as Primal which sets it in stoneage times and has you playing as a caveman; and Far Cry 3 was redone as Blood Dragon which set it in some weird 80s version of the future with tons of neon lights and great synthwave. It's criminal that they ported Far Cry 3 but not Blood Dragon for modern consoles, I think Blood Dragon is the most beloved of all those games.