What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Choop

Choop n______n

Yeahhh, I really think the Forest of Giants is a brutal introduction to that game. It gets easier and better, but like weapon choices are so limited early on.

2. Crungy

Crungy SS.org Regular

I'm starting Elite Dangerous after work, does anyone here paly that?

3. MFB

MFB Banned

Had to look this one up, because why the Christ they changed it I don't know, but I've got healing hot keys figured out. Apparently now in DS2, down on DPad SCROLLS through healing items instead of actually using them. Now you have to hit Square to USE the item.

So that in conjunction with getting the shortsword instead of using the broken straight swords, allows for a thrust attack to avoid clipping in corridors. It also does more damage than any of the others with a higher durability.

I got slightly further but the intro is just brutal

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire until Vanhalen bruthher

DS2 is easily the most bullshit game in the series. There are areas later in the game that will make you chuck your controller

5. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Are you playing the original version (only available on PC or old systems) or the Scholar of the First Sin version? The latter is considered considerably harder, I guess. I got through it, but definitely was overwhelmed by enemy swarms and took a while to get the "feel" of it. I ended up loving it and think it's at least as good as DS1 despite some undeniable problems (ex, movement and swing accuracy are wonkier than 1).

The biggest difference from DS1 difficulty-wise is that it likes to hit you with crowds of enemies. I'd advise getting both a rapier and a mace ASAP since a bunch of enemies are weak to one damage type and strong to the other.

6. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

You can two-handed R1 your way through every boss in DS2. And that mace will smack through almost any regular mob. Also lots of enemies can be pulled with a bow, that helps a ton especially in FoG.

7. MFB

MFB Banned

Fuck, I'm playing through Sins of The First Scholar so of course I picked the harder version without knowing it.

I do like the aspect of bonfires restoring durability, but it seems like every other area is a step back. Even a premise as basic as leveling up was changed and now instead of doing it at any bonfire, it's through one person at the beginning of the game.

8. wankerness

Yeah, but, you can warp anywhere from anywhere immediately instead of DS1's ridiculous traversal times pre-anor londo (and its arbitrary choosing of which bonfires you could actually warp to) so having to level up at the NPC isn't a big deal. Plus, you played Bloodborne! It was the same there!

Besides the giant QOL improvement that was being able to warp anywhere (DS3 and bloodborne used this, too, though Bloodborne went a step backwards by making you warp to the hub world before warping to your ultimate destination every time), the entire system of gear and weapons is a huge step forward from DS1. DS2 has all kinds of cool dual wielding setups you can do, and has the best weapon variety besides. 3 was actually a step backwards.

Also, some caster builds are OP as heck, especially hex builds.

Biggest thing with 2 was just that it took me a long time to figure out how to approach it. I was getting chunked by enemies non-stop for the first few levels and was struggling horribly with things like the Pursuer, but then once things "clicked" it was pretty smooth sailing till I got to the DLC areas. I didn't massively grind levels in it, either, unlike 1 and 3 and Bloodborne. Though there were a couple areas where I killed enemies till they stopped respawning.

I was basically a quality build, but a strength build would have worked equally well apart from arrows doing less damage. Second the advice above about getting a bow and leveling it, there are a few parts that it REALLY comes in handy. Especially if you start doing "side" stuff like the bullshit 2 giant room beneath the poison-spitting statue area.

EDIT: oh yeah, another big qol thing that inexplicably got rolled back in ds3 was the ability to climb faster on ladders! Why did they remove that!!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  9. MFB

MFB Banned

You know, I totally forgot that Bloodborne was leveled up via The Doll in Hunter's Dream, I guess it's just that I'm still viewing them as separate franchises so when they start to incorporate styles from later series I think, "I like this mechanic sure, but not in this context," because now it's not what I know/expect.

I expect a slower play from DS and to be more of a middle ground of combat/defending vs the other two relying heavily on one or the other. But currently DS2 feels like, "Oh you thought you could play Dark Souls? You ignorant slut!"

10. wankerness

One of the key things in DS2 you might have already looked up is that you need to level adaptability up a bunch if you’re big on rolling. 110 agility is the point at which the rolls are on par with ds1’s in terms of “invincibility frames.” I definitely aimed for that early on and it made a big difference. If you’re doing a shield build and don’t depend on rolls then you probably don’t need to bother.

Mathemagician likes this.
  11. StevenC

StevenC Javier Strat 8 2022

Literally the only thing I know about Dark Souls is that you should never ever ever use a shield.

12. KnightBrolaire

Nah, shields are super useful in the DS series. Especially with certain bosses in DS2.

Mathemagician likes this.
  13. StevenC

This contradicts everything hbomberguy has told me

14. KnightBrolaire

I've played the hell out of the series and shields are overwhelmingly useful. There aren't always opportunities or enough space to dodge around, but there's basically always space to hide behind a shield. Turtle strats ARE relatively useless in dueling (unless you're really good at parrying) but otherwise they have a ton of utility.

StevenC likes this.
  15. wankerness

Basically shields are the easymode build in all of the DS games. It’s very rare that bosses are easier with rolling and 2h (there are exceptions, especially in 3 with a few bosses that seem designed to punish turtlers). However, the game is a lot slower and you get to ignore a lot of enemy mechanics. So yes, the “git gud” crowd insists you should never use them. Bloodborne basically is like DS if you didn’t have even the option of a shield, but that game has a rally mechanic where doing damage heals recent damage which is not in any other DS game and makes the aggressive play style much easier.

Mathemagician and StevenC like this.
  16. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

I'm sorry sir but this is actually the Dark Souls and Yakuza thread, contrary to what the title says. :lol:

Mathemagician, gabito, Crungy and 3 others like this.
  17. KnightBrolaire

you forgot bloodborne, Sekiro, Nier, YS and Tales too :lol:

18. wankerness

Hey, it's not our fault no one has anything to say about any other games!

I finished up Judgment yesterday. Worst Yakuza game I've played, and does NOT make me at all optimistic about the future of the series unless they abandon the Judgment franchise and make a new one, or relent on their "Yakuza is now always Turn-based, only Judgment will have real-time combat." Had to switch difficulty to easy to kill Amon, that was a pretty good fight, if infuriating. But yeah. I don't like this character and I dislike everything that made him unique to Yakuza protagonists and I would rather have an all-new character that doesn't have a job that revolves around tailing people and getting mortally wounded by everything until he goes to the doctor!!

Now I'm thinking about replaying Yakuza 0, or doing some more AC Valhalla DLC, or going back to NG+ in Dark Souls 2. Or playing Sekiro! Or maybe playing Disco Elysium as I just now remembered I have it installed.

19. MFB

MFB Banned

I scroll past everything that has Yakuza in it as they're a series I have zero interest in, I'm just here for the FromSoft posts basically :lol:

20. StevenC

Bayonetta

I've been replaying Bayonetta to try and manifest some news about Bayo 3.

It's amazing how much you can forget about a game. I'm not saying I was great at it before, but the spacing, timing and sheer number of combos I had in my head before makes getting back into it pretty unsatisfying without studying and learning everything again. Especially since it gets taught to you pretty naturally from just playing the game the first time.