What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Do the memory heat sinks require thermal paste?

2. Choop

Choop n______n

They usually use a thermal pad, kind of the same idea just less messy.

3. StevenC

StevenC Javier Strat 8 2022

The easy solution here is to this: 1 Controller Jump Forever

As a side note, I haven't got it yet but the demo is great and I've played every Warioware to death.

4. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

This. You stick a pad on each side, put the whole thing in a separate chasm, and you're good to go. Looked pretty easy. I'll report back when I install it into my PS5. It sounds like it's significantly cheaper to get a drive and separate heat sink than to get one with the heat sink already in. That and ones with heat sinks already in are sold out freaking everywhere.

Mathemagician likes this.
  5. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

This is my first wario game so nit sure how it compares

the one disappointment is there aren't many modes for more than 2 people . 3 of us have been paling mario 3d worlds together allot , so we were hoping there would be more for 3

wankerness likes this.
  6. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Mostly been playing Forza Motorsport 6 recently. I'm playing with all assists turned off except tire wear and racing line showing me where to brake. It's so damned satisfying to put the pedal to the metal and let the wheels spin - the controller vibrates so hard it sounds almost like an extra middle speaker :lol:

Mathemagician likes this.
  7. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

That's good for me, actually. I mostly only play videogames with my girlfriend and the gamecube one is not very fun with less than 3 (but great with that many).

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire pointy purveyor

prob gonna pick up deathloop tomorrow. I usually love Arkane's games.

9. Ralyks

I got maybe 2 hours in but it's excellent so far.

10. wankerness

I saw some comments from people that got a ways in complaining that Deathloop gets too repetitive (unsurprising considering the concept of course), but that has me wanting to wait a few weeks for a consensus from people other than "game reviewers" that may or may not have finished the game before jumping on it.

Speaking of repetitive, I think Judgment's officially the worst game in the Yakuza series for me, by far. Ugh. It's down to a couple really terrible design decisions and the removal of some mitigating factors that existed in most previous games.

1) "Gang Alerts" - about every 20 minutes, you get hit with a series of the same text messages from some guy going "oh no, the gangs are out on the streets! do something!" upon which "alert level" rises to 100% and you get absolutely spammed with random encounters. Like, you can rarely make it more than a block without having to fight dudes. Until the meter goes down to 0, the game is infuriating unless you really want to fight tons of guys. This takes approximately 20 minutes if you wait for it or only fight the random enemies. You can speed it up by fighting the same damn minibosses, and as the game progresses, more minibosses spawn and each one takes off less of the meter (they start out making it decrease by 50%, but then it goes to about 33%, and later about 25%). So, basically, every 20 minutes you get spammed with encounters unless you fight all the minibosses to end the event. It completely derails any progress with anything. You can craft expensive temporary items to get "stealth," which works kind of how the encounter-decreasing items did in previous games, only they're temporary and very expensive to craft and require random materials from different stores every time you make one, but that's the only way to really avoid the event.

And to make matters radically worse, the minibosses can all inflict "Mortal Wound" on you.

2) "Mortal Wounds" - this is a permanent, stacking debuff that reduces your maximum health. I don't know how far it can go, but I've definitely gotten down to ~30% of my max health. It's inflicted by bosses, mainly, but all these frequently spawning minibosses can do it. There are TWO ways to get rid of this. One is by going to a doctor down in the sewers and paying 20,000 yen. This is expensive, and he's far away from any fast travel points so it takes a few minutes. Option two is by using a medkit. These are sold by the doctor, and the cheapest one is 40,000 yen. Also ridiculously expensive! The debuff is NOT cleared by anything else. Not sleep, not getting to the next chapter, not anything. It's infuriating.

So basically every 20 minutes you're forced to fight the same damn bosses over and over or else be mobbed by enemies non-stop. It makes the "Majima Everywhere" from Kiwami 1 seem incredibly benign in comparison. At least he didn't stack debuffs on you that could only be removed by spending 20k yen and making a long detour! And he came to you, you didn't have to run around the city to multiple locations to get him to go away.

If they removed these from the sequel and also back off a bit on all the tailing, I'm sure the sequel will be fine. But, I'm definitely not preordering it!

11. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I'm always a bit skeptical of people saying games are too repetitive when a core part of the experience is known to be a time loop. Kinda like how people reacted to Majora's Mask at first, but with time it's now a very highly regarded title. I've got too much of a backlog to jump into it right now, but I definitely want to give this game a try at some point. Maybe it'll come to gamepass eventually or something.

Also, aren't roguelikes really popular right now? Aren't those all about repetition? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

12. wankerness

Yes. The people who said that all prefaced it with "i don't know if this was avoidable with the concept, but i personally didn't like it."

13. Ralyks

The reviews for Lost Judgement seem okish at best, definitely not as good as the original. And yeah, I'm kinda with you on the game being low on the Yakuza list. I'll see it through, but more out of necessity at this point.

14. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I thought the whole point of rouguelikes was that the game was different every time you played it.

I used to spend a fair amount of time, as a youth, playing Dragon Crystal on Sega. Every item (including weapons and armor) had a different effect, every map was different, and, I want to say that some enemies had different special attacks and stats each time you restarted the game. Even though the graphics were reused, the randomization made the game much more exciting to replay after you finished it.

But whatever, people like repetition. Just look at popular music or TV shows or even movies.

15. wankerness

Oh, I didn't realize it was out already. I just skimmed through a bunch of reviews. They mostly don't seem to have played the original, or didn't play it enough to encounter the same issues I had with it, so there's no mention of whether you still have mortal wounds or there are still constant infuriating "gang takeovers" that you can't do anything to mitigate or decrease the frequency of. Most of the reviews are just whining about it badly handling a story about sexual assault, which, eh, a lot of these things have some very non-Western plot elements that would not fly in a Western game, so I don't really care. Most praise the combat and say it's better than the first (which is good to hear, cause Crane stance is totally pointless in the first one). However, this excerpt from a review has me going "not touching this till it's less than 20 bucks."

Sounds horrible! Sounds like they doubled down on tailing and first person view for clues, too. Sounds like they removed Mortal Wounds based on the one post I could find about the topic, which was based on a demo of the first 15 minutes so I can't be sure it's true of the whole game. I can't find any info about whether there's an equivalent to the Keihan Gang.

Found this post on Reddit, which I wholeheartedly agree with every single point on. Except Bowling. I was not a fan of the bowling in 0.

I didn't know EX mode made you invincible. I guess that's certainly a way around being vulnerable on the minibosses.

16. CovertSovietBear

CovertSovietBear Lord Bagel Supreme

Played the Predator: Hunting Grounds free PSN game for this month and it's fun for 5 minutes and then it gets predictable and boring, it helps if you can play with a full squad of your friends. You can take the Predator down quickly if you have everyone cluster, so a rogue random can drag your team down. Gimmicky from start to end, textures look alright and it feels like a worse version of Ark.

17. Carrion Rocket

Carrion Rocket Taiwan is a Country

Been cleaning up some trophies in Vice City. I'm doing a bunch of the collectables, side jobs, and non-story asset missions. I forgot how much a pain in the ass that Malibu Club bank job mission is. I tried to beat it about a dozen times before the game soft locked on me and I just walked away for the sake of my sanity. Had to do that previously on the ambulance side mission when at level 11 the game stuck a ped in the world geometry meaning I just had to cancel the job. Did the all stunt jumps, found all the hidden packages, and leveled out on the vigilante, ambulance (finally), fire truck, and pizza boy side jobs. I'm grinding away at the criminal ranking currently. I read up on a rubber band technique to raise it while I'm asleep or at work.

18. wankerness

Jesus Christ, Amon in Judgment is a nightmare compared to Amon in any previous Yakuza game. The guy destroys me on easy! They gave him a weird mechanic where he changes colors and you have to be the same color as him to not get annihilated by the fireballs in the room, but you only do damage to him if you're the opposite color, so you have to be switching stances at exactly the right seconds to hit him a couple times then quick switch back before you get destroyed by fireballs. On top of this, he STEALS YOUR PHONE so you can't pause or heal in the fight unless somehow you manage to get him out of first phase without getting hit by that attack. Oof. This guy's vastly harder than all the previous incarnations I've fought of this guy (4,5,6, Kiwami 1/2).

19. MFB

MFB Banned

Started playing Dark Souls 2, this game is cheap as FUCK with it's enemy placement and overload. I'm at the god damn Forest of Giants and I've continued to die at each segment because it's just overload with bullshit enemies.

Make it through the entire arena of hollows? Well, here's a knight who's going to stab through your shield and kill you for all your health. Enjoy! Hope you didn't want the 3K souls you were carrying because you won't make it back to them either.

20. Ralyks

Just following up on installing the M2 SSD into my PS5: it was easy, took a couple of minutes, and no noticable differences between games on the M2 and on the internal drive. So yeah. I recommend it.

Oh, and Deathloop is still awesome.

Mathemagician and Choop like this.