What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. CovertSovietBear

CovertSovietBear Lord Bagel Supreme

Any news on Metroid Prime 4? Been waiting since 2017 and no news since the redevelopment besides the announcement of Metroid Dread

2. rokket2005

rokket2005 SS.org Regular

That's too bad you're having trouble running them on pc, especially since they're psp and vita games. I guess I did have a lot of prblems with P4 Golden though which is a vita game, led me to dropping it for the time being too which I wasn't happy about. I had a few crashes in FC and SC and times where I had to resort to dropping the resolution when turning in bracer quests, but I'm pretty sure I isolated it to the game using certain text characters that would render weird for some reason. Also picking Celeste's name in SC isn't possible with a controller so you have to use the mouse but it's whatever.
    I've also been seeing a ton of Kuro stuff the past few days, but it doesn't really bother me that much. I was about half done with 3rd when they announced nis localizing crossbell, so I was maybe only a few days away from buying them and the fan translation before they pulled them from their site. You can still find them, but I was going to buy the switch versions when they came out anyway and it's not like i'll be short on things to play in the meantime. Totally top 10 games as a whole for me though, I'd been a Falcom fan since I played Ys origin like maybe 8-9 years ago but never heard about Trails until cs3 and how I couldnt/shouldnt actually play it without playing 7 other games first. Falcom really does need to rethink their localization practices though. It straight up sucks that they don't let localizers even see scripts until the games are released in Japan.

3. SpaceDock

SpaceDock Shred till your dead

I just beat this tonight and there were three places in the game iirc that gave that type of message. Really good game but still only took me about 12 hours even with trying to do all the side missions, gather all the card and stuff.

I also absolutely destroyed the Myst remake in only 6 hours. Can’t believe I ever figured out some of those puzzles when I was a kid, it seemed like an unbeatable infinite game back then.

4. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

I'm seeing all my friends grab and play Tales Of Arise, and I'm tempted to grab it despite the retail launch price, but at the same time, holding back since Berseria is still fresh in my mind. The Tales series have been around as far back as the SNES but didn't really get any triple A hype until now. I shouldn't be surprise granted the popularity of Genshin Impact, that's a game I probably should be into, but all the loot boxes and microtransactions are on the off putting side.

Yeah I haven't had a PC for years, and I can't get Steam to run on my Mac properly. Since the Sky games are old enough, I probably should just get one of my brother in law's laptops. :lol: It kinda sucks how I was forced to spoil the Liberl and Crossbell by the tail end of Cold Steel 2.

Despite being around nearly as long as consoles have existed, Nihon Falcom aren't as big of a company as their competitors. The change of the localisation team from XSeed to NIS America was a rough decade at best: it took 11 years for Sky SC to be translated, and NIS had a rough start with Ys VIII's notorious original translation, and I wasn't keen on Tokyo Xanadu either. They are getting better though. I'm happy to wait another 12-14 months for the Crossbell games, since that's an amazing story for the Geofront. They worked painstakingly just for the love of the games, and now they're the official localisers for them. And because the average Trails dialogue and text capacity is as long as Marcel Proust's À La Recherche Du Temps Perdu being read 5 times over, it's a miracle for these localisations to be made official at all. Trails int Reverie... that was going to take ages anyway.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  5. StevenC

StevenC Javier Strat 8 2022

No news yet, unfortunately. It's presumably going to be announced at E3 next year for the October or December release.

6. rokket2005

Or spring for a Steam Deck! I don't know what the waitlist is if you jump in now, but I went for the middle option when it dropped and I think I have a January ship date.
    Yeah, I like the work Xseed did on the Sky games, and I hate that apparently them and Falcom had some sort of falling out cause I believe they still have the rights to them as far as publishing, but they don't have an inhouse port team so they'll never be released on modern systems. I love NISA though. All the disgaea games and the Prinny collections they're putting out now are awesome since I completely missed them on the ps2. I picked up TX+ a few weeks ago but it's deep in the backlog somewhere at this point. I think it was Aksys that localized that actually though, and while I haven't played anything they've published they seem to focus a lot more on fighting games and visual novels as well as stuff way deeper weeb shit than my Xenoblade 2/K-on!/Cowboy Bebop weeb roots go.

7. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

grabbed the new Wario game to play with my 6 year old. Its pretty insane.

8. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Picked up Code Vein for like $10 on PSN. It was marketed as “anime dark souls” and it kind of is. But it’s easy AF so like not really? It’s not bad if you like anime though. Plots moving along pretty quickly. And it being easy means I’m not really getting stuck anywhere.

Also picked up tales of berseria cheaply. But I have vesperia on switch which I haven’t played and idk which on to do first. Any advice from the JRPG Skwad in here?

9. rokket2005

^Are you a jrpg fan? The only way I would recommend the Tales games is if you are, definitely not the series to get into them imo. As a huge jrpg guy I think the Tales games are super mid. I haven't played Berseria, but I didn't care for Vesperia or Symphonia which seem to be the two most lauded games in the series. I think my favorite things about Vesperia was that your dog smokes a pipe and the hot girl in your party can get a KOS-MOS costume. There was also an pretty on the nose joke about Yuri, which also happens to be the main characters name.

I guess if you prefer playing on switch vs. whatever you have Berseria on would be how I would decide.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    Mathemagician likes this.
  10. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I’m old so up through PS2 that was all I played. I’ve played enough now that a lot of the tropes can get a bit tiresome but I still love a good long “save the world/heroes journey” storyline.

In that case I may just start with Vesperia since it’s older, in case they’ve added QOL changes to the series in later games.

11. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Vesperia is good place to start. They're both good games, but if you're new to the Tales series, Vesperia would be the better choice, purely for the simplified (ie user friendly) 2D combat engine alone.

12. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I started Code Vein and while it's definitely not Dark Souls level of difficulty, I wouldn't say "Easy AF." Certainly it's a lot harder than say, Jedi: Fallen Order on normal, especially when you start hitting bosses. The combat felt pretty good, it did a decent job of ripping off the slow, heavy feeling of Dark Souls.

I have heard mixed reviews of it. I barely played it so far. One of the biggest DS fans I'm aware of, who's played a huge number of clones, says it's one of the worst of all the clones (even counting crap on steam workshop) just due to the horribly boring level design, especially later on. I didn't have a problem with it yet, but it sort of put me off it! It does have a very impressive character creation tool, though, I'll give it that.

The only DS ripoff that's high on my list of things I want to play is Ashen, I've mostly only heard great things about it. I've had it for a while, just been playing other stuff first.

Judgment is long as hell. I'm starting to hit some of the big grinds and thinking I'm not going to even attempt to platinum this one. It's a lot more like Yakuza 0 and some of the older games where you have to do EVERYTHING (beat it on very hard and also get 100% on the completion list, which is hundreds of hours of work and requires really learning how to play Mahjong and Shogi and old janky arcade games).

My favorite parts of the game so far are the "chase the pervert" section with a guy in neon spandex named "Ass Catchem" and then the girlfriend plotline that results from the whole pervert plotline, where you meet this asshole in a top-hat and cane who talks as if he's from England and challenges you to duels. Loved it. I still don't like the main character and would enjoy everything more if I was practically any other protagonist from the series, but hey.

I really don't like the drone racing, though. The biggest problem is every race is incredibly long. 3 laps on tracks that start getting long very quickly, and FIVE races for every "cup." I like that they cut this down bigtime on Yakuza 7 with the mario kart. The drone racing is less fun and much more time consuming and you're expected to grind out 100+ upgrade parts!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    Mathemagician likes this.
  13. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Yeah, I'm only on chapter 3 of Judgement and it's feeling long. But I have Deathloop waiting for me, and I've heard only extremely positive things.

Firmware update for PS5 coming tomorrow that lets you finally expand the internal storage, so I went and ordered a 2 TB M2 stick and a separate heatsink.

14. Choop

Choop n______n

That's awesome! Good move, it's so nice that you can just swap it with a regular M2 drive vs having to use the proprietary drives that the Xbox Series X requires.

15. wankerness

From what I read, you might have trouble getting it in there if you have a separate heatsink.

The Xbox one has the big disadvantage of having to get a proprietary one, but installation is a lot easier. Not that the PS5 one is that rough (no worse than replacing the average laptop battery), but it's still involving screwdrivers and having to snap together the system again and there are a bunch of warnings about external heatsinks not fitting.

I'll probably get one in another year or so when there are enough ps5 games to be worth filling up a hard drive for simultaneously!!

16. Ralyks

The one I got had a video including installation with the heat sink. Trust me, I looked into it before putting the money down. It's mostly because anything I play off my eternal hard drive seems prone to crashing, so this will make it easier to have stuff internal and just keep what I'm not actively playing in the external.

17. ImNotAhab

ImNotAhab ChronicUnderachiever

Playing Pyschonauts. Never played the original but I am really enjoying it. Some great design and humour.

Yelir and TedEH like this.
  18. wankerness

If it works, let me know what you got. I'm sure I'll upgrade mine at some point.

19. wankerness

I might need to get that. I was regularly playing the gamecube one at friends' houses as recently as 2020. If this one is a worthy successor to that, I'd love to retire the gamecube (since only one controller still works).

Ralyks likes this.
  20. Ralyks

upload_2021-9-15_9-41-0.png

I figured 2 TB would do. Then got a separate heat sink kit. Suppose to arrive before the weekend.

wankerness likes this.