What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Orphan is VERY stressful, but you can parry him, so if you stack the parry damage gems and get a couple of them off he's basically done for. I had wayyyyy less trouble with him than Laurence.

Gehrman is tough compared to all the other bosses in the base game, but now you're incredibly overlevelled so it probably won't be bad. Moon Presence is infamously easy.

2. MFB

MFB Banned

I think Gehrman took me roughly a dozen tries or so, since I believe he has three phases IIRC (I might also be thinking of Sekiro here), when other bosses were just two? You can get the hang of his moveset pretty easily, it's just playing it properly for the entire fight that becomes tricky.

I was TERRIFIED when I had to go from him right into Moon Presence's fight and then I beat MP on the first try and was just laughing from hysteria at the transition from one to the other.

3. wankerness

I think Gehrman had 3 phases, but they were a bit timed (like, he'd start the phase at 60%, but he'd stay in phase 2 for x seconds no matter what before going to 3 even if you hit the next trigger %), so if you did enough damage he wouldn't even do all three. Which is very possible if you went through the DLC first.

4. MFB

MFB Banned

Gotcha, it's one of those things where the some of the games are blending together since I played all three franchises back to back with each other on PS4, so I'm like "Pssh, it's obviously right" and then I think about it for two more seconds and remember I'm wrong :lol:

I'm do for a replay/finishing my NG+ as I never did the Old Hunter's DLC, but unfortunately the one thing I hate with FromSoft is how I'll need a tutorial just to how to even trigger the DLC portions since I just know I won't find them organically.

5. wankerness

The other thing that would bug me about fromsoft games if I finished one before dlc came out and then got the dlc is how ng+ tends to be radically more difficult and the dlc is already much harder than the base game, so I’d feel like I’d have to just restart the whole game to be able to handle the dlc. I dunno if that’s the case with BB, but it sure was with the dark souls games!

I think the BB dlc is the high point of all of those games, so it’s definitely worth it either way you try to do it.

6. MFB

MFB Banned

Everyone says that the BB DLC is NOT to be played for the first time on NG+, so I'm putting myself at an obvious disadvantage if I do given how hard it will be; I just don't know if I want to do a new build that'll end up the same way as my other one just to do that and save myself some frustration.

7. wankerness

IIRC you have to make it quite a ways into the game to access the DLC area, so you'd probably be replaying most of the game either way unless you have a save in NG+ that's a ways in. Regardless, it's going to be tuned the way Gehrman is tuned on NG+ so it would probably be expecting you to be a much higher level than if you had just started NG+. I dunno if you did a bunch of level grinding in NG, maybe if you did you'd be OK going there as soon as possible in NG+?

8. MFB

MFB Banned

Wait, maybe I'm mistaken here - is NG+ technically considered the THIRD playthrough or second? I think I've been going about it wrong, and it's the new-game of your second run correct? If so, then I'm not there, I'm just on vanilla NG which I think people have said is still doable but others still advise not beating the game at all first.

I think you only have to get to Vicar Amelia and then it's accessible, albeit level gated until your strong enough to actually play through it.

9. wankerness

NG+ is the second playthrough. NG is the first playthrough starting at level 1 or whatever. Then after that it says NG+(+number of playthrough beyond first) ex the third playthrough is NG+2.

10. MFB

MFB Banned

Alright, just making sure we were on the same page as I looked online again and some people use NG+ as the 3rd playthrough, as it's implied that your original playthrough is just ...not counted as it's the base playthrough?

So by that definition, New Game would then be a continuation, then NG+, NG++, etc... I don't agree with it, but it did throw a wrench into my though process so I wanted to be safe.

In that case, then yes, I'd already be on the tough side of things and I'd need to probably grind a bit to make it through. Maybe I'll give it a shot regardless just to see where I stand. I don't even know chronologically speaking where it falls in line with the game, but since it sort of stands alone as it's own area it should be fine for me to just tack on at the end before Gehrman once I'm over-leveled for him.

11. wankerness

Those people either typoed or are at odds with the whole soulsborne community - it's always NG+ for second playthrough and then +2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or NG+ and then NG++, NG+++, etc. I think all of those games cap out at 6. You can keep doing more playthroughs, but enemy health/damage stops increasing. I've never gone past +2, and only did that with DS1/3 for trophies. Depending on how much grinding you do, you might not notice a substantial difference on each subsequent playthrough after NG+. But, given how almost all stats in those games have softcaps that you can hit on the first playthrough or two, eventually the scaling catches up to you and it actually just keeps getting harder.

12. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I’m sure there’s a strategy to him. But man, that fight is fucking rough imo. Hardest boss that I can recall, including DLC.

I did the DLC on my first playthrough but I typically overlevel in these games.

13. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

Yep, this is my first playthrough too. I do like to level up, I must admit... :D i am currently at level 113.

Mathemagician likes this.
  14. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

IIRC you could probably poke around the DLC at Lvl 120 or so.

Wouldn’t hurt to see what happens.

15. wankerness

he already did all but one of the bosses! Though it sounds like he didn’t fight the sharks in the well yet either.

recommended level for the dlc is 70-90, 120 makes it “easy” (and that’s about what I was at cause I farmed pigs for a while).

16. TheBlackBard

TheBlackBard SS.org Regular

Just to break up the Souls convo a little bit, started playing Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, and it never takes long for me to remember just how much and why I love this game. Playing on Hard mode, but it's currently pretty trivial, as I have a Strider with Bastion and Fortitude. Currently using the Rusted Bow +3 which has trivialized every fucking encounter so far given that it inflicts torpor and poison. That's not even talking about the fact that I've got a healthy amount of throwblasts which is a one shot for lots of early enemies, and there's also the matter of me having the aneled stilettos which douse my enemies in oil. Just so happens that my pawn mage specializes in flame attacks and imbuing my weapons with flame. When she's not doing that, she's healing. This is so fucking broken. :lol:

17. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

Yeah, thanks for the tip... Maybe I'll try it out one day ;)

18. Choop

Choop n______n

So weird, just yesterday someone at work was telling me about this game and that I should play it. I think I even own it on Steam, lol. It looks great!

I'm powering through Xenogears atm, though. Roughly 1/2 the way through! Kind of wish that I had emulated it...I'm playing on the PS3 digital version, but to have the option to use save states would have been handy for this game.

Mathemagician and Bloody_Inferno like this.
  19. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Been meaning to replay this myself. Probably a healthier thing to do than constantly beg Sqenix for a remake or at least a re-release that will only happen once apes rule the earth. :lol:

20. wankerness

Dragon's Dogma has possibly the most fun combat system I've ever encountered in an ARPG. The game's janky as hell in the story/graphics department and has some really egregious problems with the leveling system (you get stat bonuses based on your chosen class at time of level up, and often to have a good character at a high level of a certain class you can't have leveled it AS THAT CLASS), and all the "pre-expansion" content is pretty drab and dull, but man, once you hit bitterblack isle it's utterly fantastic. I played it for hundreds of hours and levelled a couple characters on a couple platforms. I REALLY hope a sequel comes out someday.