What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Wow, Theseus and the Minotaur are a brick wall in Hades. Fought them for like 3 minutes before dying and only took off about 15% of their health in that time. And I was pretty upgraded and went through all the minibosses/trash in elysium like a knife through butter! Guess it's time to grind keys to get all the weapons so I can start upgrading them.

2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I got to a point in Psychonauts 2 where it's giving me one of those "point of no return" hints, and I'm less than 15 hours in. Thats..... shorter than I expected, and mildly disappointing, since I feel like I haven't had enough time to really explore the characters and mechanics fully. I'm hoping it's a point of no return for this segment rather than the beginning of the end of the whole game.

3. gabito

gabito SS.org Regular

Currently playing South Park: The Stick of Truth.

I don't know about funny (I like the series, but I'm not a super fan or something) but it's a good, fun game.

4. wankerness

Man, I suck at Hades. Tried Theseus a couple more times (I can only even get there with the bow consistently - I got the Chiron upgrade for it). I can sometimes kill the minotaur, and once got Theseus to 50% after that, but then he goes nuts at 50% and starts spamming AOE god powers and ugh. I guess I need to start unlocking more mirror upgrades. This game is as grindy as Yakuza 7!

5. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Got to the end of Psychonauts 2 last night. In a very broad sense, it's a good game - I've no regrets in terms of backing it or playing it, but I have mixed feelings about some bits of the final product. For something that I spent more money on than the average game, and waiting a significant time for, I think that makes it worthy of nitpicks and a long-winded "review", even if it's great to just have a new game in the series at all - and I am grateful for that.

I wrote far too much, so I jammed it into a spoiler tag just to take up less space. Not really spoiling anything, but now anyone who doesn't care can skip it more easily.

The world established by the first game had a lot going for it, and they kept most of what worked. If anything, I feel like it does most of the kinds of things a good sequel should do: streamline and tighten what worked, a fresh coat of paint, etc. So in that regard, there's a lot to praise in this one. The visuals are much improved. The music is well done and fitting. Presentation values here are fantastic - in terms of "camera" work, art direction, voice acting (for the most part) etc etc. The overworld-type area is well put together, even if you're not given a ton of incentive to explore it. It's just a nice space to exist in, if that's not an odd comment to make.

Mechanically, the game is pretty tight. Movement is good, the platforming is good and generally fair. Combat is kinda clunky at times, but works well enough and isn't really the focus of the game. The powers you get are generally satisfying to use.

Story pacing is a bit of a mixed bag though, where I feel like a lot of the meat of the story happens toward the ending. I kept getting what I thought was "you're approaching the endgame" signals from the game to realize there was a lot more story to go. I mean, realistically, I think the way it's paced out makes a lot of sense - the first half of the game is very exploratory and open, then you get sort of funelled into a second half that's a lot more linear. Steam claims I played for 20 hours, and I think I covered most of what the game has to offer in that time. Like the first, you can go back and revisit previous levels, but unless you're the type to 100% everything, there's no real compelling reason to return to previous levels unless you weren't very diligent in your first visit in terms of collecting things you need for upgrades.

Collecting things is another area where I've mixed feelings. Placement of collectables feels "fair" but the levels are also pretty linear, so you can generally pick up most of what's in a level in a single pass with very minimal backtracking. I tend to think of collectables as being an incentive for exploration, but there's not very far you can go off the path in most levels, and most "secrets" aren't very hard to find.

Being that this is primarily a story-driven game - the story is, once again, something I've mixed feelings about. I generally enjoyed the main arc, especially towards the end where they start throwing in some twists and drilling into what's really going on in the main plot line. The Double-Fine style of charm and believable dialogue is here, and there's lot to appreciate there. BUT - and of course there's a but - the part I find didn't land is one of the big selling points for the game, and something that a lot of other people seem to have really enjoyed - and that's the game's take on mental health. Your first launch presents you with that mental health warning, as has been highly publicized at this point, which primed me to expect a deeper or darker exploration of mental health concepts than the previous game, but that's not what I found. To me, the game felt like it was playing things very safe. The first game may not have been very "PC", but it felt to me like it was trying to explore things pretty freely, and wasn't afraid to get weird or dark with it. The first game was risky, this one is not. Rather than really addressing or discussing mental health issues, they basically bring them up by going "see! This person has self-doubt! That purple blob is doubt! Go blast it with your magic brain fire!", and everything is magically solved with love and friendship and acceptance. There's a reasonably prominent theme of consent, especially in earlier parts of the game, which are again played off very PG - somewhere between a kids show and "corporate sensitivity training: the game". It doesn't ruin the story, but it just didn't stick the landing for me.

I mentioned it in a previous comment - that the game feels like it's trying to be the anti-ubi and anti-blizzard, and that feeling continued throughout the whole playthrough. I'm not calling it a fault per-se, 'because in a lot of ways we probably need some of that. But it's very of-the-times, and I think I'll need to come back to this title in a few years to see it through another lens.

I like the game enough that I'm willing to write up a long paragraph about it that nobody will likely read - but I think most of it's best ideas came from the first game. The best characters and mechanics were the ones established already. The first game was rough in a lot of ways, but it's high points were great enough to make it a classic - this second game doesn't have anything that come across to me in that same way. None of it is bad, but none of it is Milkman Conspiracy good, if you get what I mean. Is that just me being a grumpy old man with nostalgia glasses who can't appreciate a good thing that's right in front of him? It might be!
    It's a good game.

StevenC likes this.
  6. StevenC

StevenC Javier Strat 8 2022

This is a brilliant idea and a policy everyone in this thread should adopt. Just title of the game then everything else in spoiler tags. Not that it will stop me reading most of it anyway.

7. CovertSovietBear

CovertSovietBear Lord Bagel Supreme

More of an incentive rather than a detractor :agreed:

StevenC likes this.
  8. Choop

Choop n______n

Back on the Guilty Gear Strive train, I got some Silent Sanwa V2 buttons for my fightstick and I love them. Much quieter and the feel is very very close to regular Sanwas (so, excellent). Looking to finally play Red Dead Redemption 2 next, but I'm thinking to hold off until I pull a monitor upgrade. Hermmm .-.

There are so many game options to play in my backlog right now. It's almost October, so I'm thinking it might be fun to do like a Horror Month run of spooky games.

9. CovertSovietBear

How easy is it to transition to this type of fighting game from say, Mortal Kombat X/11?

10. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Waiting for the cross play for Warframe. I want to play on my couch but with all my stuff. It’s a good (quasi) Diablo style time killer.

11. Choop

Choop n______n

Pretty different, but I guess if you play fighting games at all you would have the basic idea down. Guilty Gear has air dashing and a move canceling system, but Strive is great because none of the moves are difficult to execute. Hold back to block!~ I haven't really played MK at all since UMK3, despite buying MK11 fully intending to learn and just havent yet. Dohhhh...

12. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

yeah he can be a prick . I find having a leveled up AOE dash attack helps allot as I can dash around him and chip away a bit while he is going ham .

I probably make it to the hades boss fight 7 times out of 10, the times I don't I mess up that fight and thesues gets me

Its funny allot of people love the bow, its my last choice , I never do good with it

BlackMastodon and Mathemagician like this.
  13. CovertSovietBear

I'd play GGS just for the animation at this point ha. MK11 is rather slow and footsie based, balanced and less emphasis on combos, better meter utilization. I still play w/ friends but online isn't fun anymore. MKX is the opposite where it's a quick game w/ tons of combo potential, true 50/50 strings and setups and I still play it as servers are plenty full, at least on PSN.

Choop likes this.
  14. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

My first win was with a shield dash build so it’s a damaging quick shield dash, I had poison damage, and lightning AOE damage. I was able to block/reflect almost everything and keep chipping health even when I couldn’t get off a good direct hit. Made hades a bit easier too.

After that I’ve had some good spear runs. Apparently the bow is one of better/best weapons. But I haven’t played since launch if there’s been balances patches.

15. wankerness

I found facerolling dash attack with the right buffs with both the shield and the fists worked pretty well on Theseus. I’d never previously gotten past the stupid alternate first bosses with those weapons, but got all the way to hades with both. Unfortunately it’s dependent on getting lucky with what weapon upgrades you get from the hammer and making sure you get the dash reflect before things get hard, but using a different god trinket thing for getting the right buffs.

I got to hades twice, took down 3/4 of his health bar with the shield before going through all my lives. Then I thought I beat him with the fists, but nope, he got a full heal and went into overdrive and I ran out of lives when his second form was half health. Ugh.

I’m kinda getting sick of it, it’s so damn grindy and repetitive. But, the core gameplay is fun and the style is great. I just played it too much the last few days.

started hollow knight, f this game. I hate the combat. It feels so limited and annoying. And you’re constantly getting hit by an enemy or obstacle which causes you to get knocked back and land on spikes. It’s just way too frustrating to me. I’ll go back to dark souls, bloodborne, etc happily, THIS game is the real sadistic one.

16. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

hollow knight is great. But it is a abusive relationship. I think I un installed it 4 times in the process of finishing it.
    But every time I was stuck , when I accepted it was my fault, I eventually got past it.

truly an abusive relationship.

wankerness likes this.
  17. wankerness

My issue with Hollow Knight is entirely just the forced limitations on attack abilities. It feels like the old-school NES megaman or castlevania games where 3/4 of the difficulty came from the fact you could only aim straight ahead and then it sends flying enemies cascading around the screen at you so there's this precise dance of having to jump at them and hit attack while holding back the way you jumped from or else the enemy touches you and you go flying with the damage recoil. Ugh.

I thought you got a dash evade move or something in this, but I sure didn't have one at the beginning. Got to the first boss that rapidly smashes up and down on the screen, got smashed since it's not easy to weave between that with a standard walk/jump moveset while doing any damage, and just quit in annoyance cause I didn't want to contend with DS bonfire mechanics while also being enraged. Rgh.

18. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

If I remember right, you do get one, but not right away.

19. MFB

MFB Banned

So, I got to a decent point in HW where I had some moves and power-ups. You do get an items that prevents you from ...stutter/staggering or whatever you want to call it after an attack, so that when you're hit - you take damage and that's it, end of story. Without that equipped, typically you would get hit and be staggered, potentially onto an environmental hazard. But you don't get it right away, and I think it's an item I had to purchase if I recall correctly, or if not purchase than beat someone for it; I don't think it was even an item that you'd find in a chest (don't think HW did chest mechanics) or this equivalent.

And there is a dash attack, but I think that might have even been tied to an upgrade with your weapon? If not then it was just another accessory. It's been years since I played so I forget what mechanics it did and didn't incorporate for skills vs. accessories vs. items.

Maybe I should go back and re-try it now that I'm more familiar with the 'no lore, just play' type games but it's still disappointing when the art is that fantastic to have nothing to go off o

20. wankerness

What is HW? Are you talking about Hollow Knight, or something else? Context suggests the former, but the abbreviation suggests something else! Hot Wheels?