What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I really wanted Oracle Remakes

NotDonVito likes this.
  2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

The chalice dungeons are awful. I did maybe 10 of them before getting really bored of it all, since they're all such mazes and they're all so dark and dreary and repetitive. I didn't get to any that were actually hard in those first 10 or so, but I mostly was doing them towards the end of the game. Depth 4 is where things start getting really hard, I guess, with people particularly freaking out about Rom and Amygdala in powered-up forms when you're dealing with a 50% health debuff. I skipped those by using a false depth code to skip straight to the Great Pthumeru Ihyll chalice for the "final boss" and the headless bloodletting beast in that modified dungeon (it was in a much smaller room than it is if you progress there legitimately) was BY FAR the hardest thing in the whole game for me - WAY harder than anything in the DLC, including things like Orphan of Kos and the double sharks in the well or even Laurence. I had to have died at least 25 times. He was such a pushover in one of the Depth 2 dungeons! Same with the Pthumerian Descendent. The guy was a complete asshole in the Depth 5 version. I only beat him by getting a bunch of parries off really fast before he could kill me. He took a mere 10-15 attempts!
    How_To_Get_Every_Chalice.jpg

3. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Just do chalice dungeons for the trophy. And for Blood Rocks.

4. wankerness

you don’t get anything worthwhile from them until layer 4 or 5 apart from materials to make the higher level chalices, which is the worst part of the grind imo. They are so repetitive and dull! Maybe if you spaced it out through the game it would be better.

or you can just get a bunch of false depth codes and skip right to worthwhile ones!

5. MFB

MFB Banned

I got the blood rocks I needed from my regular playthrough between the Brain, and buying one for 20 insight (which I got for free from a bunch of Madman's skulls)

6. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

I think I'll just play the main quest through and all the non-dungeon bosses and be done with it. I can always return to the dungeons later if I feel like grinding my ass off.

At first I was thinking of trying for the platinum trophy, but after playing for a while it seems like it's just too damn big of a hassle to pull off.

7. wankerness

I got it in one playthrough (with save-scumming on the last boss since you need all 3 endings). But, yeah, it's easier if you look up a list of where weapons are ahead of time. Getting the beast claw out of some random high-level chalice dungeon was probably the most annoying bit apart from the Queen Yarnham trophy.

8. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Got to the end of Fallen Order this morning. I'd argue it's the best Star Wars thing to come out in a while. Presentation is what you would hope for from a big budget title. Set pieces are great. Visuals are consistently good. The characters actually have some character and hit that "I can believe this is a person" threshold. Star Wars vibe is nailed, included the odd in-joke.

I didn't even bother trying on the XBox, I went strait to PC with this one - and while it was usually stable, I had a couple of instances where the game slowed to a crawl for a short while for reasons that weren't clear. My best guess is some kinda weird bug where physics get confused or something - usually the performance problem would go away when I ran into another area, and you'd hear an out-of-place collision sound, I guess as the area you were previously in got unloaded, then everything would work ok again. It was weird.

Like I normally do, I avoided reviews until after playing the game and I feel like people wanted this game to be other games. Soooo many comparisons. "It's like Dark Souls! It's like Sekiro! It's like Metroid!" Nah, it's not really. It takes elements/influence from them all but I feel like this game's design goals are different enough that they make for unfair direct comparisons. Yeah, you backtrack and you have big maps with artificially gated progression - but I hesitate to call this a Metroidvania because your path through the game is pretty linear and called out - it's not about remembering where you've been and exploring with a new skillset. Yeah, you can parry and dodge etc, but the combat feels, to me, like it's trying to be a modernized Jedi Knight game rather than a FromSoftware type thing. If you're expecting one of those kinds of things, you might be disappointed or nitpicky.

Otherwise, good game. Would play again.

9. MFB

MFB Banned

Officially at the last boss of Sekiro, this is a fucking nightmare in every way imaginable.

10. wankerness

man, your posts are really making me not want to try this game again! Do you actually enjoy it at all?

11. MFB

MFB Banned

Looking back at the game as a whole, it is well made and I know mechanically speaking it plays as it should, it's just that difficulty wise? It's is an absolute soul crusher.

There is no joy when I beat a boss compared to Bloodborne or Dark Souls, only relief knowing I never have to fight them again. And that stems from the fact that combat is entirely parry based, and you truly can't play it any other way, which is frustrating and limiting compared to their other franchises. All the parts that aren't a boss fight are fun, the environments are incredibly satisfying compared to the gloomy nature of the others, but pacing/difficulty brings it down at every turn.

Playing this makes me want to replay Bloodborne, or Dark Souls, whereas if I think about replaying this it's just dread.

wankerness likes this.
  12. MFB

MFB Banned

Took down the Demon of Hatred on my first try today after getting back from being out, god damn does that feel good to know. I cracked his 3rd phase yesterday and almost had him on my last try of the night, but honestly, any fight with three deathblows is a fucking struggle (hence why the last fight is giving me so much grieve with four!).

I think I only have one other optional boss left in the game, but I'd have to double check, it may be two (and I think they're both Headless), so that'd be one more achievement under my belt.

13. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

finished main story of Witcher 3. turns out I go the bad ending cause I as too rude to Ciri or something, ungrateful little shit

Started the first dlc but need a break. a bit burnt out .but enjoyed date game . def the first 50+ hour game I have finished in a long time.

Played a good whack of VF5 over the weekend. Have played it a little over the years but never really got into it. been fun hitting it online.

14. wankerness

Which bad ending? IIRC there are 4 levels of bad depending on a bunch of specific choices through the game, things like letting her make her own decisions vs being Mr. Controlling Dad. I think the "second-best" ending is the best one dramatically.

15. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

the one where she disappears and last scene is Geralt is having an emotional
    Breakdown after you kill the witch.

16. wankerness

Whoa, that's a bad one alright. I got the one where she leaves to become queen or whatever but you have a last little patrol through the snow. it was one of the best videogame endings i've ever seen tbh, right up there with Last of Us 1. I know there's another one where she just comes back and lives with you and you are witchers together forever that I know most people like the most that I think is the rank 2 ending (aka, you made a couple "wrong" decisions) as compared to the one I got, which I think I only had made one "wrong" decision for.

17. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

yeah. I knew she was pissed I took the money, but I actually needed it

18. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Thinking I'm around 1/2 way to 2/3 of the way through Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart. This continues to be an excellent game, and very much the best example of "you're playing a Pixar game". And the lack of load times make the action feel nonstop. The pacing is a bit more intense than I expected from a Ratchet and Clank game.

I also picked up Shin Megami Tensai 3 after a few weeks down. There's something about it's totally PS2ness that's drawing me into that game. I'm just still figuring out if I want to commit 50 - 60 hours for just the story.

19. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

I'm near the end of the story of Days Gone i think, and i don't want it to end. I'm already considering starting it all over again after it's finished.

TedEH likes this.
  20. wankerness

see, great game if you can stick it out through the first bunch! The second half of the world that unlocks about 20 hours in is particularly good. I really liked going around and trying to clear out all the hordes.

Werecow likes this.