What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Same here. I might reconsider if I traveled a lot, but since I'm basically always at home these days... Nah, no thanks.

2. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I think the pandemic did a number on E3 this year. Development is taking longer and probably will until towards the end of the year. Plus it feels like the Microsoft show.
    Oh and also with Square, kinda was hoping for more FFXVI, And maybe even a small update or at least mention of FFVIIR Part Deux.

3. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

At this point I wait for the event to end and for various YouTube summaries highlighting the “big reveals” to come out. Or wait for a buddy to show me something that looks unique. I’m not tuning in to hear about sequel after sequel. Just link me the 3 minute gameplay clip later.

TedEH likes this.
  4. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Yeah, I've browsed through a couple articles about it, but haven't really read anything except about FF Origin. I looked up the game after the post on the last page about "FF Dark Souls" and all the reactions I was seeing were more "looks like a shitty 2006 western action RPG" instead of anything about DS. :p Character design in it and the trailer were laughably awful.

5. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

Thanks for the recommendations on Titanfall 2’s campaign. It was real enjoyable! Love the movement/shooting/fluidity of it. Kinda how I would think Spartans and master chief in halo should control. I started HZD but hasn’t really clicked yet. Will give it some more time.

Mathemagician likes this.
  6. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

What i don't like about them is that when those graphics were state of the art, they were never actually that blocky. They were played on CRT monitors, and they smooth and round off pixels in a really attractive way.
    Lots of the pixel art games i see are so rough and sharp looking it's obnoxious. If they're claiming to look retro, they actually aren't, unless they include some sort of light antialiasing or CRT shader like a few console emulators actually have.

BlackMastodon and wankerness like this.
  7. Ralyks

I'd give you a better idea of it, but someone fucked up and it says the demo is "corrupted" and won't play. Supposedly they're trying to fix it. Goddammit Square.

8. TheBlackBard

TheBlackBard SS.org Regular

What I've seen that's interested me so far:

Elden Ring, Amid Evil expansion, Salt and Sacrifice, Evil Dead The Game, and Gloomwood. I'm somewhat excited by Final Fantasy 1-6 getting ported to PC, though.

9. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

In my case, a lot of my early gaming was on PC and emulators, with decent monitors that didn't smooth things too much, so blocky is OK. It's when you see blocky mixed with not-blocky or scaling that older games could never do, or sharp UI on top of pixelly worlds, etc. that gets to me.

10. TheBlackBard

Well I think that you're a game dev, too, right? Not that anyone who isn't couldn't have the same gripes, but you're more likely to notice them. Me myself, I only register that they look more similar to the games of yesteryear and haven't thought enough to take the other stuff into account.

11. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Weirdly - I've had the conversation with a few other dev people and I seem to be in the minority in that crowd who cares. One guy I spoke to didn't even really understand what I was talking about, which kinda surprised me. I tried to say "hey, why fake it when you can just literally use a small frame buffer" and I just got a bunch of weird looks like I was making up words or saying something crazy.... o_O

12. NotDonVito

NotDonVito molesta la breastas

I have no idea what you're talking about on a technical level, but somehow totally understand what you're saying without having words to convey it.

13. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Retro style graphics do tend to bug me, too. I really liked how Octopath Traveler looked, but I've seen some indie games that were way too forced and "blocky," as you say. Something like Octopath Traveler looked more like they had actually just fully devoted art design resources to making the best-looking version of that style that they could, while all too often it seems like an excuse for laziness in the visual department under pretense of appealing to nostalgia or something.

On the same note, most new 8-bit music is really annoying. Disasterpeace is an exception.

BlackMastodon and StevenC like this.
  14. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

With Octopath Square rarely gets graphics wrong. And they’ve made 8/16/32 but RPGS longer than some of us have been alive. So that’s an advantage they have.

Except those ugly FUGLY low-budget graphics they throw on the second or third version of a remaster where everything is “chibi” and looks shitty AF. Fuck I hate that so much. (See rings of fate on the DS).

StevenC and Choop like this.
  15. TheBlackBard

Well it became a bit more clear when you were talking, I think about the UI being a bit different from the rest of the graphics. Amid Evil is guilty of that, but the game is so good that I guess it's just not a thing that bothers me. I do understand your viewpoint, though. Cheers! :)

TedEH likes this.
  16. Ralyks

I'd add Anamanaguchi as well. Unless you count that as 16 bit since what comes to mind is the kick-ass Scott Pilgrim game OST.

17. Choop

Choop n______n

Got a fresh new fightstick today, a Razer Atrox, coming from a Mad Catz TE:S. I like this thing a lot so far! All set for GGStrive.

20210614_191010.jpg

18. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

So... Last night I said nighty night to Rom. Then I beat the electric hunter from cathedral ward and then went for Eileen the Crow in grand cathedral. After handing her ass back to her I went to my first chalice dungeon and got on the third level before quitting for the night.

The first two dungeon level bosses were very easy and now I'm afraid there will be hell to pay when I get to the third one...

19. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Shit

Advance Wars, Warioware, Monkeyball and Metroid DREAD??!?!?!?!?!

It's like all my Xmases have come at once and they're all 2002.

20. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I'm unsurprised that a lot of the coolest news (to me) to come out was from Nintendo. New 2d Metroid has me excited. I wish there was more Zelda stuff though. I don't want to be patient waiting for BotW2

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    StevenC likes this.