What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Got through Archdragon peak, but as expected, the boss is tough. Fighting the first dragon boss in the area was kinda disappointing, I thought the actual fight would start after the plunge attack, but instead he just died :lol:
    I managed to acquire a phantom to help with the princes, but I still keep dying. One time I got to the point where the little guy had 25% hp left, but then the phantom died and that was it.
    At the Unnamed King, killing his dragon is relatively easy and after that my shield is essentially able to block all his attacks, but whenever I attack him he also does major damage to me. So I guess patience is key, I tend to get greedy and when I try to get one more hit in, he kills me...

So yeah, now I'm stuck at two different boss fights.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

If you do nameless king with a shield, it’s a very long war of attrition. As mentioned before, I always used the Lothric knight straight sword, and even with how fast that weapon is and how much I had his attack patterns down, it was rarely a good idea to hit him more than once. I’d usually be almost out of estus by the end just from the chip damage, and that’s even with the major lightning resist on the dragonslayer great shield. He’s so relentless that a lot of times I’d have to just let my guard down and let stamina regen during attack openings, too.

the fight can be sped up a lot by using a 2h (or twin blades) and rolling through everything perfectly, but easier said than done, and it’s a long fight either way.

3. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

Was leveling up my guy in anticipation of the fight to the death with Rom, the vacuous spider and accidentally stumbled upon Darkbeast Paarl on my adventures. Well... I beat it's electrified ass on the first encounter. So easy.

Now I got some new gear from the friendly encounter with Djura and also found Tonitrus.

Mathemagician likes this.
  4. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Funny part is that two-handing Tonitrus absolutely melts Rom.

5. MFB

MFB Banned

I think I ended up using lightning paper on my cleaver/LHB since it was already like, +3 on either by that point, and was far more durable. I wanted to like the Tonitrus, but it just wasn't up to snuff when I needed it to be.

He took me a couple more tried than I would've liked, since he starts spamming the bomb attacks towards the end and the spider quantity gets to be a bit overwhelming.

6. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Oh yes, I finally defeated the princes. It was just a matter of finding the right balance between hitting them hard in the back and letting the phantom take his share of the damage. I killed the bigger guy twice before the little guy was out of health, and the phantom died at the exact same moment.

7. TheBlackBard

TheBlackBard SS.org Regular

Amid Evil. As a fan of Heretic/Hexen, this game and Graven are satiating my lust for old school FPS fantasy games.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  8. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

With all of this SoulsBourne talk, anyone see the Final Fantasy one showed at E3?

ImNotAhab likes this.
  9. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Tell me more about these games.

10. TheBlackBard

TheBlackBard SS.org Regular

So if you've ever played Doom/Doom II, Hexen/Heretic were fantasy versions of that. Instead of guns, you got stuff like axes, staffs, magical crossbows, you were in fantasy locations with epic style music. Like Doom, each weapon had situations it excelled in more than others, so in ways, most of the weapons you got were never truly obsolete. Recently, there has been a boomer shooter revival (think 90's shooters but still being made today, and often with the intention of trying to hit that retro look) that take inspiration from games like Doom, Quake, Hexen/Heretic, Blood, and things like that. If you grew up in the 90's and you're not happy with the way FPS games went with COD and BF (though I do love the modern renditions of Doom and Wolfenstein) and you prefer a simpler, yet fast paced feel like the games of yesteryear, these are the games for you.

Just to name a few:

Dusk-Inspired by Doom but feels like it was also inspired by the Evil Dead movies due to setting in some ways. Backwoods setting for the first episode, not quite sure about the others, haven't gotten there yet, but so far, I'm enjoying it.

Amid Evil-Fantasy game in the vein of Hexen/Heretic mentioned in previous post. Fantastical setting, and not the kind you'd see in a game like Skyrim. FAR more fantastical than that. You almost feel like it's an 80's Sword and Sorcery style movie coming in the form of a video game. Difficulty and world selection not unlike Quake, in which you go into a portal. Handsomely rewards exploration.

Hrot-Eastern European style setting with good music. Heavily inspired by Quake in terms of the being a brown boomer shooter (uses lots of brown, and feels grimy). Good tight controls, great atmosphere, reasonable difficulty, and each weapon excels in different situations, thereby never making any weapon truly obsolete. That is a great design choice.

Prodeus-The ONLY game that touches or comes close to my love for Doom, mainly due to how rewarding it feels to get new weapons. Tight gameplay, the sci-fi aspects of Doom are certainly there, while providing more mobility than the OG games, but not so much as Doom: Eternal.

Ion Fury-Same engine as Duke Nukem 3D. Awesome level design, snarky main character. Shelley is a more PC version of Duke, but she's not afraid to let her enemies have some cold-hearted catchphrases. Has lots of pop culture references from the 90's. VERY HIGHLY RECOMMEND PLAYING.

Shrine-Free game that I THINK was built in the GZDoom engine, but don't quote me on that. Think Doom with more Lovecraftian elements, but on a different wavelength than Quake. Not too much to say about it, since I haven't played much of it, but it can get overwhelming fast.

Graven-More along the lines of Amid Evil. Grimdark setting, first person fantasy game. Now it's in Early Access on Steam and it does have mixed reviews, but a lot of the complaints are people saying it has no content and that the spells suck. Let me make something clear. You can clear this as is in just a few hours, but again, it's in EA, so that's to be expected. Also, people bitching about the spells clearly didn't pay attention in the game. The spells are mainly use for auxiliary effects and as tools for progression rather than fighting, although they can assist in some ways. Spells are not meant for causing damage and it literally says that with the first spell you get.

These are just a few that I enjoy playing, and a lot of these do not have modern style graphics, so if that's what you're looking for, look elsewhere. Still very tight gameplay, good level design, and a lot of these reward your exploration by giving you weapons you might not find until the next level or later. What started my love for these style games all over again is the fact that The Ultimate Doom collection is the first game I bought when I got my gaming PC last year. Beat all the games, discovered the modding community, and then started downloading map packs for the games, and some mods and add-ons that help to somewhat modernize the experience without taking the charm of the game away. I decided I wanted more, and started playing all my favorite boomer shooters on the PC, and then luckily, I was right in the middle of a boomer shooter revival, hence all these games. If this is the kind of game you like, you are spoiled for choice these days. Some of these do function better with source ports, such as Quake for example. The Steam versions of the Quake series for some reason do not have the soundtracks in the game, but if you use DarkPlaces to boot Quake, then it does, and it also adds the ability to set framerate and such. It's a hell of a rabbit hole, and one that I'm not coming out of for awhile. These kinds of games, modern indie retro games, rogue-lites/rogues, and classic style RPG's are mainly what I play, and THAT is whole ass other discussion. :lol:

Mathemagician and wankerness like this.
  11. ImNotAhab

ImNotAhab ChronicUnderachiever

Guy who clearly shops at Topman: "CHAOS..."

12. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Lol @ having to change their name - Ion Maiden was such a better name. I gatta try this one at some point.

I find that "retro-style graphics" tend to send me into weird nerd rants. For all of my appreciation of old games, I'm not a fan of some of the ways modern games do "pixel art". Intentionally low-res and blocky textures in an otherwise hi-resolution world just sort of don't look good to me. The best implementations of those kinds of visuals are, IMO, the ones that stick to actually small frame buffers to draw onto (which seems rare for some reason) or that adhere to their pixel snapping properly so that it loooooks like they used a small frame buffer. Old games looked the way they did because of the limitations they were working within - not just because it was cool to be blocky. When a game has those blocky elements but also has elements that demonstrate those old limitations aren't really there, it completely breaks the effect for me.

NotDonVito likes this.
  13. Ralyks

Speaking of SoulsBourne FF, they indeed announced Strangers of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin, but I'd say it's more in the style Nioh (which makes sense). And apparently there's already a demo on PS5. I donwloaded it, I'll check it out tomorrow.

14. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

I already tried beating Rom with it, but it was such a weak ass weapon the way it came to me, so I'm going to have to upgrade it.

Or maybe I'll just use bolt or fire paper to my hunter axe, which is at like +7 right now.

MFB likes this.
  15. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Anyone watching any of the E3 stuff going on?

Things I am excited for so far:
    - Starfield - just because I really want to like Skyrim but the setting doesn't do it for me. Put it in space and you have my attention.
    - Psychonauts 2 - Been waiting for that one for a while.

.... And that's about it so far, really. I'm back in that pattern of most modern games just not grabbing my attention. So many things turning into a "service" kinda kills any excitement too. Oh well.

16. Ralyks

I'm a bit peeved the Final Fantasy Pixel collection isn't coming to consoles. That's something I've been waiting for, and consider literally every other mainline non-MMO title (ok, and all of the XIII games) are on modern consoles, why not just complete the damn thing.
    Otherwise E3 has felt like Microsoft just going off on finally having Xbox exclusives.

17. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I hadn't heard about the pixel collection until now. I'm hearing in my head now "do you guys not have phones?"

18. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I have no interest in playing games on my phone. The screen's too small and I don't like pure touchscreen interfaces.

19. Ralyks

Yeah, I don't play any games on my phone. At all. I do enough shit on my phone as it is, adding on to that with gaming would make it worse.

20. MFB

MFB Banned

I watched like, 5 trailers from E3, and so far honestly nothing has caught my eye for anything new