What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. MFB

MFB Banned

Hmm, I'm torn on Elden Ring

On the one hand, 2020/2021 has been the year of FromSoft for me as I completed DS1/BB/currently working through the nightmare that is Sekiro with DS2/3 on the backburner; but this looks so similar to DS whereas the one thing I've loved going between all the series is the vastly different worlds they've created each time, and it looks like mechanically it will also be closer to DS than BB/Sekiro which I'm not crazy about. I love the more breakneck speed of the latter two, even if one gets to be a rhythm battle vs. an actual parry fight, but BB is entirely dodge based with the ability for the riposte if you're good enough which is right up my alley.

We'll see as they release more, but for now it's not a 'must have'

2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I don't really see how you can come to the conclusion that the gameplay is slower than Seikiro/BB with how fast the cuts are in that video - you can't tell much of anything other than enemy/player designs and that some of the gameplay takes place on horseback. Plus, have you played DS3? Enemies attack a LOT faster than in 1/2. You can still block with a shield if you want to play that way, but if you want to dodge/etc like a real man, it's way more bloodborne speed required.

3. MFB

MFB Banned

I haven't gotten to DS3 yet, I'm working through them chronologically even if they aren't connected. Again, I'm making the assumption based on what they showed but I'm more than happy to be proven wrong and have it be faster paced.

4. wankerness

Ah, so you're doing DS2 after Sekiro? Cool. In some ways that was my favorite of the three. Having played through NG+ on DS1/3 made me realize its mechanical shortcomings a bit, so I dunno if I still think that, but it's got a ton of great things about it and it's very unfairly maligned. I think I enjoy the experience more than 1, since the weapon/combat variety is so much better and the environments are more varied and you can warp everywhere immediately. As with 1, many of the most memorable bosses are in the DLC. Unfortunately a lot of the DLC is hard as nails. Way nastier than anything other than BB's later dungeons and the DS3 DLC.

5. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

So speaking of almost Souls games, they surprise dropped the PS5 and Xbox Series version of Jedi Fallen Order today, and it is on EA Play. Looks like my save transfered over, but not my trophies, so looks like I have a reason to do New Game +. The next few. Upgrade sure is pretty, and the load times are much better.

Also, grabbed Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart. Holy shit. THIS is a next gen game. A visual marvel that truly feels like playing a Pixar movie, and the action feels non stop. If you manage to get a PS5, get this. I played about 2 hours so far and it's phenomenal.

6. MFB

MFB Banned

I FINALLY cracked Great Shinobi's fight and can move on.

Thank.
    GOD.

7. MFB

MFB Banned

WHY THE FUCK IS THERE ANOTHER BOSS FIGHT AT THE BEGINNING OF THE NEXT AREA, IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING GREAT SHINOBI?!

Honestly, the boss design in this game is fucking MIND BOGGLING. It's boss, after boss, after BOSS, to the point where bosses aren't rewarding because you kill them so often and all you feel is relief you don't have to fight them again instead of accomplishment.

Mathemagician likes this.
  8. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

:: insert Corrupted Monk laugh ::

MFB likes this.
  9. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

I got to the Lothric Princes in DS3... Didn't seem that bad at first, but then I died :lol: The second time I went in, I managed to get to the second phase, but that was just out of my league for now. So I decided to go explore other places and come back with a higher level.
    The Consumed King was super disappointing! I thought he was gonna be tough since his area is a major PITA, but instead I defeated him on my first attempt. I spent all my estus, but still. So now I'm at Archdragon Peak, getting my ass handed to me by fire breathing serpent people...

About Elden Ring: It just seems like another Souls game to me. Which I absolutely don't mind, but I'm not exactly first in line to get it. Besides, I probably don't want to play it on my shitty og Xbox One anyway (if it even gets released on last gen consoles).

10. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I started playing this one recently - and it was another case where I stuck with PC 'cause of reports that the One S version performed pretty bad. I've no complaints about the PC performance so far, although I can definitely "feel" when the level streaming kicks in.

I immediately started the game by going to the "wrong" planet thinking that maybe it would be open enough to progress in any way I want to (otherwise why would they give you the option?). Instead I got my ass handed to me just to reach a dead-end and backtrack to where the game clearly wanted me to go. I guess I got a few extra skills points in the process but oh well. I'm not sure how I feel about the save points + enemies respawning, but maybe that's a part of these kinds of games that I'm just not used to?

11. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

they tried to copy dark soul"s bonfire setup but it's a really weird design choice for a star wars game, especially with enemies respawning. At least it makes sense within the DS universe.

12. wankerness

Lothric Princes killed me in phase two every time cause my weapon wasn’t doing much damage to the little guy (it was enchanted and he was resistant to the element the big guy is weak to, plus it was a short sword and thus half the swings were not reaching him). I remember one attempt where I “killed” the big guy three times in p2 and the little guy still had health!!

I think if you’re using a longish weapon that’s not elemental enchanted that it’s a lot easier. On ng+ I just toasted the little guy with pyromancy as soon as I got the big guy’s health down, but didn’t have the stats for that on NG. I don’t even remember how I ended up beating them. Probably just used a non-enchanted sword. I tried it once with a bleed weapon but my stats weren’t optimized for it so I was barely tickling them.

Hardest boss in the base game is generally considered to be the nameless king in archdragon peak, but the first boss is not too hard. Nasty trash mobs there though. Especially Havel, who can be summoned and is also hanging out on a ledge guarding a slab and some spell (I think?).

have you already done dragonslayer armor and champion gundyr? The latter is in another secret area past where you killed the consumed king. He’s a pretty cool boss. Way less frustrating than twin princes.

If you’re a heavy strength build you can get the shield from dragonslayer armor and basically cheese nameless king, but if you’re not a big strength build you’re going to have to get very good at dodge timings!

13. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Yeah, I have killed Dragonslayer Armour. I think it's not even possible to get to the princes without defeating him?
    That was also a first attempt kill for me, though I have to admit I probably wouldn't have stood a chance without summoning Eygon. He did just enough to draw him away from me so I could drink some estus before continuing to hit him.
    I haven't found Gundyr yet, so I guess that might be my next target. Archdragon Peak seems a little too tough for me at the moment.

I'm using the Black Knight Sword (+5) now, and the sheer length of it definitely helps. Also when two-handing it, it generally staggers enemies after a few hits, which is obviously super convenient.
    I also changed armor, I'm now basically cosplaying the Dancer of the Borreal Valley :lol: It's not the best armor ever, but it's lighter than I had before so my rolls are fast.

14. wankerness

Archdragon Peak is probably the last thing you want to do before the DLC, Nameless King is definitely nastier than the base game’s final boss. If you have the DLC you could probably handle the first two bosses of the Painted World DLC before him, too. Though the trash at the beginning of that DLC is a nightmare. Definitely do the Ringed City dlc second, not least because the summon for the hardest boss gets disabled if you do the dlc out of order.

you should definitely get the dlc if you didn’t, though. I think the two final bosses are almost universally considered among the best fromsoft has ever designed. The third really hard (and optional) one seems more divisive, but is most definitely very memorable.

p0ke likes this.
  15. MFB

MFB Banned

Another nightmare successfully defeated, even if that is Bloodbornes line. True Monk is dead, and I'm farming through Fountainhead Palace to get another skill point and get closer to finishing then all.

Phase 1 and 2 were fine, especially since 2 can be defeated with one deathblow immediately, but phase 3 gets a little hyperactive and closes the gap WAY too quickly to where you can't heal or recover posture correctly. They also patched it so phase 1 can't be cheesed, so anyone who was thinking I could, think again

16. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Nope, I don't have the DLC's yet, but I think those'll be my next purchase... Unless something like DS2 goes on sale :lol:

Pfft, just defeated Gundyr. What a whimp! :lol:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  17. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

I go to Dathomir first just to get the double bladed light saber early. It helps a lot. There's a definite difficulty spike on that planet though, and the game has metroidvania elements where you'll come up to lots of closed off sections or secrets unless you've learnt a skill.
    The respawning is weird. it's a bit immersion breaking for me, but i managed to ignore it mostly and really enjoyed the game.

18. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

Beat the shura gauntlet on Sekiro and first tried the last boss. After like 200+ hours on this game today i finally realized that the Tengu of Ashina is Isshin, can't believe i never put that together until now. Kind of a bummer there's no reward for the final ridiculous Mortal Journey gauntlet of like 17 bosses, not sure if i'll ever seriously attempt it.

19. MFB

MFB Banned

Fought my way through to the Demon of Hatred, Ashina at Night is an absolute bitch. Idols are so far between and all the normal enemies do a shit ton of damage for not being any type of boss.

Took down the mini boss at the Courtyard before the bridge, I didn't realize he had armor so I looked up why my attacks were doing so little posture damage. That took off 3/4 of the health right there. Managed to complete the Ashina skill tree that the Tengu gives you, haven't used Ashina Cross yet though, didn't realize it used emblems. Might grind out for the last two to complete ALL trees, but it would require a good amount of grinding through Palace which gives like, 10K exp each.

20. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

That's exactly what I did, but not because I knew that was there - just because I thought the game was offering me the opportunity to sequence break. The double seems like it was worth the trouble even if it was a pain - even just for that extra light in dark spots.