What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. gabito

gabito SS.org Regular

Played all of the MGS games for the first time in 2017 or so on the PS3. Loved them all, except for MGS V which has probably the best gameplay, but I didn't like the story or characters at all. I didn't like Peace Walker either (it's similar to MGS V). But the rest were GREAT.

I don't know if I can pick just one, but MGS 3 is probably my favorite. This series of games is one of those that I know I will play again every few years.

Choop likes this.
  2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I can definitely see why the series used to get a lot of attention. There's a lot of character. If I'd had a playstation back in th' day, I'd have probably really liked these.

3. MFB

MFB Banned

You do have a bunch of freedom, but it's so much so that it feels like you can ignore most of the mission and just fuck around like it's a traditional sandbox, open-world game. Plus the way the enemies then start to scale up to your own advancements, it's just like, "OK great, at what point is everyone going to just like COD Juggernauts?" I also wasn't crazy about the way you received missions, and the whole recruitment aspect of it; too much micromanagement for my tastes, and I say that as someone who thinks AC:B is the best entry in the franchise.

wankerness likes this.
  4. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Wow, a 10 gigabyte patch for Mass Effect came out today that does things like "reduced amount of fog on Ilium in ME2" and "improved eye animations for male characters in ME1" and "reduced amount of credits that carry over from ME1 to 2." TOTALLY WORTH IT. Boy am I glad I don't have bandwidth caps right now. When I saw the monstrous size of the update I was hoping it included ME3's multiplayer or the missing ME1 DLC or something. Nope, just minor bug fixes and balance junk.

Seems to have fixed the bug where you couldn't get Spectre gear in ME1 except right at the beginning of the game or right at the end, but I'm already past where that negatively affected me. :p Doesn't seem to have fixed the ME3 ability achievements.

I'm packing up all my stuff for a move at the end of the month, and just took down my stereo system and am running the PS4 through TV speakers for the first time in a long time. WOW, does it sound bad. I've gotten so spoiled over the last couple years. Hopefully wherever I end up moving has room for the 5.1 system again. Even just 2 cheap ~$75 stereo speakers through the receiver sound massively better.

5. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Same whenever I have to use the tv speakers. I have a Harman/Kardon 5.1 amp and 5 big speakers (well the center speaker isn't that big tbh) so in comparison the tv itself sounds like a walkie talkie or something :lol:

In DS3 I finally managed to defeat Aldrich with Anri. I changed to the Sellsword Dual Blades, which I sharpened and improved as much as I could, and with those he was actually pretty easy. I also improved the Black Knight Sword, and that became my main weapon now. And I'm trying to kill the actual Aldrich with it now... I've gotten really close (less than 10% left close), but he always gets me with the stupid arrow rain attack which becomes tracking after he sets himself on fire.

6. Choop

Choop n______n

Guess I'm going to be playing Guilty Gear -Strive- when it launches this weekend! Excited about it -- I'm also testing the waters trying out livestreaming here soon, so that'll likely be one of the titles that I do for that. Anybody else going to play it? If so, who are you looking at playing?

Probably going to try to play Ram, and not just because she is considered great lol. Will also probably play with Ky a bit since that is who I always ended up using in previous GG games.

Empryrean and Bloody_Inferno like this.
  7. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

I want to get back into Guilty Gear again, and I hear this is a reboot of sorts for the series so I'm keen.

I've been a Sol player forever so no surprises if I just use him again. I'm such a sucker for protagonists. :lol: i might pick up Zato-1 as another choice, though I'm thinking I-no would be a good fresh start.

Choop likes this.
  8. Choop

Choop n______n

Heck yeah! I was watching Sajam play on stream yesterday, and he was making Sol look hella good. It's hard to pick since everybody seems pretty cool, and from what I've seen everyone has access to big damage combos. The biggest controversial opinion about the game is that it seems a little slower than previous GG games, but that isn't necessarily a con for me personally.

Are you possibly going to be on PC if you get it? If so we should play. My steam account is "chacoop" and username right now is Choopyplz. If you need a profile # code or whatever it is, I could get that later, too!

Bloody_Inferno likes this.
  9. wankerness

Aldrich is a jerk. First time I beat him was after a lot of failures. I think I went 2H and just went all out trying to smack him in the tail, and rushing to him as fast as possible so he only did the arrow rain a couple times. I think it was also the first or second time that I tried fighting him without using lock-on - that really did help to hit him in the tail.

10. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Same rule from Bloodborne applies to DS3 imo, rushdown every boss. Like just get in their fucking face, dodge towards them, etc. I know it’s not a specific tip, but if you’re being a bit careful/defensive I would try just getting up in there more.

11. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

I got him now. Killing him alone actually took less attempts than helping Anri. I also think I ended up making some kind of speed run record, as the fight took less than a minute :lol: Then I proceeded to the Dancer of the Borreal Valley and defeated her in a couple of attempts as well.
    I'm starting to suffer a bit from the same as I did in DS1: the framerate drops super low, but it doesn't slow the bosses down, so I just have to be super calm, press one thing at a time and wait for it to happen to avoid queieing up stuff I don't want to do when the time comes.

It depends on the boss, but yeah, that mostly works. Especially Aldrich, as he won't do his ranged attacks when you're close and they're the most deadly.

12. wankerness

Eh, turtling still works on most bosses in the regular game. I think Crystal Sage and Aldrich were the only two I had to fully go all out on to beat. Lothric Princes is kind of in the middle (shields didn't work too well on them with how lockon gets broken by the teleport).

13. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

MGSV is the most fun entry in the series because of the ridiculous amount of freedom afforded by the engine.

It and BotW are the only games on that same level of "here's an engine, go mess around and when you're done there's a game to complete too".

14. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Finished MGS1 today. I maintain that parts of the early game have that old-school "git gud or do something else" kind of difficulty to them - but a lot of the rest of the game feels a bit ahead of it's time.

I say that because when I think about it, there's some proto- immersive sim stuff happening here. A lot of the scenarios are setup to let you solve them in whatever way you like, and I think the reason I didn't get along with the early game is that it hadn't yet given you all of the tools and the time to get used to how to use them. I imagine a second playthrough would be much easier for that reason.

I recently learned that 2+3 are available on the xbone, for cheaper than any other copies I could find either for the originals or collections. Probably won't go for it quite yet, but the series has my attention enough that I'll probably come back to it. Maybe once my gamepass trial thingie runs out.

StevenC, gabito and Choop like this.
  15. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Thought the PS5 upgrade for Final Fantasy VII: Remake came out tomorrow. Nope, it's out now and downloading as we speak.

Otherwise, more Judgement.

Mathemagician likes this.
  16. wankerness

Fromsoft finally released a trailer for Elden Ring, and it looks incredible. WAY more Dark Souls in appearance than Sekiro, but the monster designs are a whole different kind of weird.

Leviathus likes this.
  17. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

OoOOhHHhHhHhHhh. And it comes out on Jan 21st. Much excite.

18. Mathemagician

Wait this is a Fromsoft game? I thought it was another dev making a game that looked like a fromsoft game. From like a random clip a year ago.

19. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

Maybe you're thinking of Mortal Shell?

20. Mathemagician

That may be it. I’m not really keeping up with games anymore. I’m occasionally playing through free PSN games.
    Glad to see Fromsoft is already almost launching their next IP, excited for it.

Makes sense as they really didn’t seem keen on more dark souls as much as making nee games from scratch from interviews around the time of BB’s launch.