What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

you think that’s bad, wait until you fight him WITHOUT Anri right after!!

Aldrich was the first boss to really frustrate me. Probably took about 5-10 attempts. Next difficulty spike is Lothric Princes, though depending on what kind of weapon you’re using they might not be as bad as they were for me with my stubby little lothric knight straight sword. Those guys killed me the most besides the big three DLC bosses.

2. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Ouch... I'm just using a Raw Broadsword +6 (I think) which is really short too, so time to die, I guess :lol: I've been planning on trying something different for a while, but because I've upgraded the Broadsword a lot, I don't just want to drop it... I have all kinds of greatswords and the Black Knight Sword which I used throughout DS1, so I guess I should just go ahead and start upgrading one of those... The broadsword is good for quick concecutive attacks (and quick dispatching of normal enemies), but I'm more of a one hard hit kind of player, really.

3. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

For DS3 I rocked the Black Knight Sword. It’s a GS with regular sword requirements.

4. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

I love when the black knight before taurus demon drops the BKS in ds1, ez mode activated.

Mathemagician likes this.
  5. TheBlackBard

TheBlackBard SS.org Regular

For shits and giggles, sometimes I'll go down to Blighttown as the first stop and get the Great Club, get enough souls to bring it to +5, put on Gold Pine Resin or Red Tearstone Ring and one shot Taurus. Also with the Gargoyles, I'll do the same thing but use Gold Pine Resin along with RTSR, and even with Solaire being summoned providing a 20 percent boost to the first Gargoyle's health, it's still pretty much two hits and done for the first one. The second one? Dodging his fire and hitting him essentially takes them out in three hits, although with how much freedom the first game gives you, I'm certain there's a way to get one shots on both of them. Boosting stats plus weapon level early will make you a powerhouse.

Leviathus likes this.
  6. wankerness

I used three different enchanted lothric knight straightswords (Dark, Chaos, and Lightning, mainly used the first unless enemies were weak to lightning) almost entirely through NG++ on DS3 - that weapon has something weird with the stat scaling such that if you level stats equally (I think I had like 40 str/40 dex/30 int/30 faith) it is easily one of the most powerful weapons in the game, plus it's very fast and easy to use with a shield like a coward.

If you want 2H, the lothric knight greatsword is really, really good if you can get one to drop. Also the aforementioned black knight sword. A few 2H boss weapons in this game are really damn good and well worth the upgrades, too (Like, Vordt's Hammer, Wolfknight Greatsword and Hollowslayer Greatsword). But, I barely dabbled with them. The famous most OP weapon in the game is apparently the sellsword's twinblades with a sharp enchant and high dex. I didn't use them myself cause I had turned into a "turtle" style of player thanks to DS2's ridiculous onslaught of damage. But I think I read that mathematically they're by far the highest DPS possible in the game.

I used the Claymore through the vast majority of DS1, but ended up using Artorias's greatshield on the hard bosses like in the DLC and just swinging it 1H.

7. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

Aaaand Shadow of Yharnam is no more. On the first try I died when the last one began summoning the big ass snakes... I left the katana wielding for the last and that was a big mistake on my part. When I came back second time I killed him first, the flamethrower one second and left the one with the great balls of fire last and it was easy enough.

8. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Yeah the Black Knight Sword (+10) was pretty damned good in DS1! I got it early in the game, I think the knight in Darkroot Basin dropped it and for a long time I couldn't use it because of the strength requirement, but then at some point I had enough strength to use it with one hand. And then I just dropped my shield for extra heavy attacks.

I prefer heavy swords in general because of the staggering effect, that conveniently gives a chance to take a sip of estus or attack some more...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  9. wankerness

I haven't used the black knight sword in DS1. I did use the black knight greatsword a bit since it's the ultimate "pancake" weapon (it makes the Zwiehander seem wimpy), and I used the black knight halberd a LOT on my last playthrough. It's got a good moveset for actually hitting enemies in a reasonable fashion, unlike a lot of the greatswords with their big wind-ups.

DS2 has the best weapon variety of the series. I usually used some curved dragon greatsword in it, but I always carried around a great club for annoying invaders cause you could just chain-pancake them with it. I also used the rapier/frozen rapier on some enemies, and the mace on a lot of others (since it was so good against armor), and the partizan on a bunch more cause the moveset was so damn good for dealing with little guys that you needed to keep away from when they died. You could custom-dual wield weapons in it, though, which was awesome. DS3 really dumbed down that ability. DS2, for all the shit it gets, did do some things really right.

10. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

For all my complaining about the MGS bosses, I went back to it a few hours after my last post and beat Mantis in two attempts.
    Now currently at:
    The part where you fight Sniper Wolf for the second time. Why am I using spoiler tags for a 20+ year old game?

gabito and StevenC like this.
  11. wankerness

I only used them on my post and only on the strats cause if you weren't at the bosses I didn't want to give away the "tricks!"

I distinctly remember the last several bosses in that game seeming easier than what came before. Though I do remember one playthrough where I lost the climactic fist fight a couple times and repeatedly failed the railshooter section. :(

12. MFB

MFB Banned

I ended up making it to the Great Shinobi fight in Sekiro, so I think it's after this that Ashina Castle changes to dusk instead of day. Looks like all the bosses get infinitely harder from here on out, although I'm not quite sure how as the majority of them already knock out half my health bar in one hit so there's not much room for error. Luckily, I'm at the point where XP/Sen are useless to me, so dying doesn't mean much besides, "enjoy fighting the boss from the beginning again."

13. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

I just killed my first horde in Days Gone. It turned out to be pretty hilarious as well. I spent about 15 minutes meticulously sneaking around the army camp they were in, laying all my proximity bombs in a path i could get them to chase me in, then worked out another path i could lead them past the explosives already in the camp. When i was just about ready to go, a deer ran through the camp and the whole damn horde ran off over the horizon after it, away from my bombs :lol:.
    I waited in a bush around 5 minutes for them to return, only to see the deer run past the outside of the fence on the opposite side of the base they had left from, with the horde still sprinting after it :lol:.
    They eventually returned, but set just one of the proximity bombs off and came after me. I had to lead them off in a path to run over all the remaining bombs, and then past all the explosive barrels before my stamina ran out. Was a pretty close thing, but just managed it with zero ammo left in my main gun.

The sight of them chasing after the deer, twice in a row, was one of the funniest things i've ever seen in a game.

14. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

The more I play this, it feels less like a stealth game, and more like a series of boss fights and set pieces strung together with short sneaky bits.

15. MFB

MFB Banned

That sounds very similar to Sekiro :lol:

On that note, fuck Great Shinobi Owl - all my homies hate GSO

16. Choop

Choop n______n

It always felt more cinematic like an action movie to me, with stealth elements thrown in. The first game's alert timer is easily the most forgiving. None of them are especially bad, but every game onward makes the guards be on alert for longer, with different levels of alert status also.

17. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Part of me is hoping the next games will be a little bit modern-ed up, if you get what I mean. Not in the core of what the game is, but just in the "we've figured out how to make games properly" kind of way - character movement that's responsive, boss fights that don't feel like you're cheesing your way through them, difficulty curves a little more thought out., etc. Like this first game has that sense of "lets throw every good idea we have into the mix and see what happens", and I hope the series refines itself from that point forward.

18. MFB

MFB Banned

From what I recall, they do, but they also push the needle to the other side and in my opinion, by MGS5 the fun is not there. I felt more like I was playing a stealth simulator of what would happen in the real world if I tried to do this vs. a video game where the intent is to have fun. In that sense, I miss the experiments/tests/risks/etc they were willing to take in the first one.

gabito and TedEH like this.
  19. wankerness

Odd, almost everything I’ve heard is that 5 is the most fun entry in the series just cause of the ridiculous amount of freedom afforded by the engine. I still have only played 1 myself, though.

StevenC likes this.
  20. Choop

Choop n______n

Haven't played 5 yet, but I'm looking forward to it. I played Peace Walker and liked it -- 5 looks like it borrowed some elements from that game.