What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Haven't tried it myself but heard it's pretty buggy. I'm waiting for Dark tide to come out to get my 40k fix. And then Total War Warhammer 3 for my og Warhammer fix.

2. TheBlackBard

TheBlackBard SS.org Regular

Waiting on Hired Gun mainly due to the optimization. I've been reading that a lot of high end rigs are struggling to keep a steady framerate and that it has quite a few stutters. For what it's worth, I've heard that it mitigates it some using DX11 instead of DX12.

3. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

Been trying the Sekiro gauntlets of strength...

Inner Ish is no joke. I think i have more attempts already than my first conquering of regular sword saint. The AOE move he has in phase 1 now will rip you to shreds if you're not in the right spot to avoid. Think i've seen phase 3 once so far lol. Luckily, you can unlock his boss fight once you reach him in the gauntlet instead of having to grind through the 4 or 5 bosses beforehand every time. The first gauntlet with 2 bosses and Inner Genichiro was like a tutorial compared to the second, took like 5-6 tries i think. Gonna get the shura ending on NG+ for the other gauntlet and some new threads i think, diggin this free update stuff.

4. MFB

MFB Banned

I haven't played Sekiro since my last post about it, but I just beat Headless Ape on my 2nd try. This one was SO MUCH easier than Guardian Apes fight, holy shit, laughably so.

5. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I forgot I had Judgement on PS5. So it's been a bunch of that. But, as I mentioned in the general forum, I was laid off this week, so I guess I'll have plenty of gaming time for the interim. Maybe actually finish Shin Megami Tensai 3 in that time, or go back to Yakuza 7 for the Platinum.

6. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

damn dude that sucks. Hope it works out.

7. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Still on Tokyo Xanadu. I may have slowly warmed up to the game's battle engine or Stockholm syndrome...

And also just saw the new teaser for the new Trails game, new battle engine in full display. Looking less traditional turn based and more of that hybrid style of Xenoblade, FFXV/7R. Going hybrid has always been like setting up a house of cards as they put a ton of concepts in but never properly execute them (Ni No Kuni 1 has to be the worst example of such) but they're getting better. The new Trails game also apparently will have a 'classic mode' but I don't want it turning out like the FF7R style. Still I'm looking forward to it. I'm way too deep to turn back now.

They've also showed some returning characters from Sky, Crossbell and Cold Steel. I've become a lot less hyped over this sort of thing in recent years, but seeing a character I've spent seeing grow up and go through a character arc over 4 extremely long games (and 1 game still pending), now sporting a new design, is something I'm really pumped up for.

Mathemagician likes this.
  8. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I've started playing some MGS on the original Playstation. It's..... interesting, but also hasn't aged as well as I had hoped. I've never played any of these games, but I figure I should probably like them, since I tend to be into stealth games.

Randy likes this.
  9. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I remember thinking the MGS1 graphics looked great even though the characters didn't have eyeballs and their arms weren't connected to their bodies. I remember thinking it looked way "grittier" and the movement/etc was more realistic than the N64 games at the time, even if the character textures had that ugly pixellated look that was endemic to PS1. I last played it in probably about 2001. I'm scared to go back to it today. Hopefully they rerelease the gamecube version at some point. But they probably never will, cause Konami is the worst major developer currently and would rather release utter trash and/or pachinko machines.

I would imagine some of the stuff that was bad even at the time is archaic today, like the wonky running and shooting ability that might as well not exist for how hard it is to use.

10. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I find the visuals are fine, it's mostly the way it has that old-school type of difficulty where you have to just know what to do, and it doesn't help you along at all. The boss fights feel pretty brutal to me, even after you've figured out what you're supposed to do.

11. wankerness

Hmm. I never had any problem with that game, and that was in my videogame infancy (didn't get a game system at all till ~1998). What boss fights in particular are you having problems with? I played through that game 5 or 6 times but can't think of many off the top of my head that gave me issues. Unless you're trying to fight Sniper Wolf
    without the sniper rifle and/or diazepam
    or Psycho Mantis
    with your controller in port 1
    (THAT one I don't think I ever would have figured out without reading it beforehand). Oh, and I think that tank boss that you had to land a grenade on the roof of the tank was a bit finicky sometimes since the aiming wasn't great with those things.

The one part I remember dying on repeatedly was the frickin torture session on hard difficulty without submitting. That was a lot of button pressing.

12. Choop

Choop n______n

If you need help, I think you can usually codec call the colonel or maybe some of the other contacts to get hints. Not sure how specific they will get, though.

13. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

In short, all of them. :lol: Currently my save is right before Psycho Mantis since I haven't beat it yet (although I know the trick).

The tank boss at the beginning seems to come down to luck with not getting run over by the treads while you try to land grenades using the same stick you move with. When I finally won, I felt like I cheesed my way through the fight.

Then you get to the cyborg ninja dude, and he's pretty relentless. Tons of phases, the callouts to what you're supposed to do aren't really clear, he has TONS of health while you have almost none, so even after you figure out what you're supposed to do, you have to do it almost perfectly 'cause you die in 2 hits compared to his like 40-50 hits or whatever it is.

I got to the Mantis fight, and I already knew about the controller thing, but he's equally relentless - I only tried it a few times and haven't been able to dodge the random junk that gets thrown at you, because once again you have to land a bajillion hits with only a slim margin for error.

It feels like the game basically expects you to just git gud, since the movement is slow and you don't have much health, while you're almost always pitted against very lethal opponents. Maybe it's intentional, since that's sort of in the spirit of stealth games, but still. The design of these kinds of games have come a long way.

14. wankerness

my memory was that the tips got VERY specific to the point of fourth-wall breaking. I didn’t really ever use them though, since I had a quick and dirty walkthrough in a game informer magazine or something :p

Speaking of fourth wall breaking, I just remembered that part where a character tells you to get the frequency to call another character from “the back of the jewel case.” Lo and behold, there it was on the back of the game’s case, an image of you in a radio call with that character with the frequency displayed! That probably doesn’t work so well with emulators or psnow or whatever people play it with now.

Choop likes this.
  15. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Lucky I have a physical copy - jewel case included.

Choop and Mathemagician like this.
  16. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

The sheer volume of 4th wall breaking stuff in those games. The Psycho Mantis fight, the Otacon rants, the “idol” videos from MGS2, man the dev did not care about messing with his audience.

17. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I have a suspicion I'll end up picking up 2 + 3 when I'm done with this one. I feel like MGS2 is one of those games that had enough cultural impact that I probably know a bunch of things from the game despite never having played it.

gabito and StevenC like this.
  18. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

Like how if you look up at the sky in first person on the top of strut A the birds poop on your face?

19. Randy

Randy The Pusterience™ Super Moderator

Didn't know that but I did spend a lot of time staring up that knocked out guard's ass.

20. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

I got to the point is DS3 where I'm helping Anri defeat Aldricht... Goddamn that fight sucks. If I had my normal 10x estus I'd probably make it, but 5 is just not enough. I have to attack very aggressively too, otherwise Anri dies as soon as the boss does the arrow rain spell. I've gotten really close a couple of times, so I guess I just gotta keep trying...

Regarding MGS: I don't recall it being that difficult TBH. I mean almost every boss took multiple attempts, and especially in the beginning when you don't have much health you can't make many mistakes, but I don't remember anything being annoyingly difficult. That said, it's been nearly 20 years since I played it :lol:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021