What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. MFB

MFB Banned

You can also just use a Bell Summons and have Alfred do like, 90% of the work distracting him while you hit him from the back with some fire paper.

2. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

blah, Just cant get into divinity 2 . Not sure what it is , I generally like turn based .

The while vibe and story just don't get me

back to Witcher I guess

3. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

But if you have beaten Vicar Amelia before facing the blood-starved butthead you can't summon Alfred...

4. MFB

MFB Banned

Really?

Interesting, I honestly had no idea. Seems weird that a Bell Summons would be locked by beating what's considered the next boss, but From's decisions are over my head 90% of the time anyways.

5. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

that happens a lot in those games. I made one of the dlc bosses a lot harder in ds3 by doing the dlcs in the wrong order. The summonable npc for the last boss of the first dlc is also himself the last boss of the second dlc, and once you’ve gotten to him he obviously no longer wants to help you with some other boss. :p Or like, in DS1 you could summon invaders for help (ex on queelag) but only if you’d been invaded by them before and beaten them.

6. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Yeah and I feel like DS3 really took that to the extreme, for example with Sigmayer, if you missed him somewhere he won't be there to help with the giant boss. I read a guide a little bit, so I knew to make sure I found him everywhere, and thanks to him the boss was super easy.

7. wankerness

Oh yeah, good call with Siegmeyer. I have always done his questline so I've never tried that boss without him except once when he got killed instantly. :p I definitely was following a guide the first playthrough for NPC quests like that. Most DS3 bosses, though, aren't substantially easier with a summon IMO. I think the only boss where the summon really made a big difference for me (apart from the aforementioned Frieda) was Abyss Watchers. Oh, and maybe Pontiff Sulyvahn. And champion gundyr on NG+, that guy was a hell of a lot scarier on playthrough 2 and swordmaster helped.

DS2 seemed like every boss had multiple summons and almost none of them had any pre-reqs to summon other than not be hollow. But, 1/3 you could definitely screw yourself if you needed help and hadn't properly unlocked them.

8. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

I wouldn't know, I've been using summons throughout, just in case :lol: But like I've said multiple times, in DS3 the bosses are the easy part, it's the normal enemies that get me when they gang up...

Ah, one boss I tried both ways was the Old Demon King. I basically died right away alone, then came back with the summon and sniped the boss from far away with arrows :lol:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
  9. wankerness

Old Demon King massacred me on first playthrough so I used the arrow strategy (not really cheesing IMO, it's not like you're out of the boss arena exploiting). Second playthrough he didn't seem hard at all and I just fought him like a normal boss, no arrows involved. Not sure if I was just underlevelled the first time or if I got better at the game.

The boss that I have cheesed every time is that miniboss flaming demon in the smoldering lake. That guy annihilated me in seconds every single time I tried to fight him head-on. Did a really cheesy "snipe with arrows" thing the first time, and he eventually went through the wall and fell through the floor and died. Second and third times, I kited him around the room and all the skeletons/mimic beat him to death!

10. MFB

MFB Banned

You mean the one in DS1 that drops the Orange Ring so you can FINALLY walk on Lava?

I used a summons that distracted him and just got a couple got hits on his ass and he went down, it was shockingly easy.

11. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

You mean the sandworm or whatever? I found a spot where the spears from the machine at the top hit it, and then just waited until it died.

12. wankerness

No, it's DS3. Looking at the wiki, it's this guy, his Catacombs appearance where he's a lot more dangerous and you don't get Siegmeyer, unlike his first appearance:

https://darksouls.fandom.com/wiki/Demon_(Dark_Souls_III)

Yeah, I think that's what you're supposed to do with the sandworm. I'd always just hang out behind the rock next to him and wait for him to die. There's probably a way to "man mode" it but I really think you're supposed to kill it with the area ballista.

This reminds me, probably the hardest single part of DS3 is trying to fight two of the Sulyvahn beasts right in front of one of the covenants. It was possible to pull them with a bow one at a time and the other wouldn't aggro if you could kill the first fast enough without moving from the back wall, though.

https://darksouls.fandom.com/wiki/Sulyvahn's_Beast

13. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I beat Ratchet and Clank 2015. I mean, apparently I was at the end anyway wherever I left off, but I wanted to be ready for the next one in a week or two.
    I’m trying to figure out what I want to focus on. Right now it’s felt like Shin Megami Tensai 3, but I’m still determining if it’s worth that much time to commit to. And also, I plan on doing the hard mode play through of FFVII Remake when the PS5 version drops shortly.

14. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Oh yeah, that was a tough fight. Even cheesing it was difficult because sometimes he'd punch through the wall. I think I ended up just normally defeating him though, after a million attempts and using 10 estus :lol:

Yeah, I haven't gotten that far yet but even the one on the bridge to Irithyll was hard AF. I hope by the time I reach those two, I'll have enough HP to survive the eating attack, otherwise I won't stand a chance against two of them...

15. wankerness

I dunno. When I fought them on NG+ the eating attack was an instakill even with a lot of armor and vitality at the softcap. I just had to kill them really fast, before I messed up dodging one of them.

16. NotDonVito

NotDonVito molesta la breastas

Ok I need you all to level with me here, since there are a lot of Dark Souls ARPG nerds in here; is Dragon's Dogma worth sticking it out? Because my initial impression of the game is kind of meh. Maybe I just suck, but I keep getting my ass kicked by everything, can't find any equipment, don't really like the lack of a targeting system, the game world seems like it's just a road with forts and caves, ect..

17. wankerness

I LOVED Dragons Dogma and played the living shit out of it. Like 100+ hours, easily. I bought it on Switch and played all the way through it and got another character to 200 on it, too. Switch version is definitely inferior (lower detail/lighting effects, lower framerate) but I just had to be able to play it on the go.

The base game is pretty drab. The "Expansion" content is where things really pick up in a big way. I'd compare it roughly to everything before Bitterblack Isle being WoW Classic, and Bitterblack Isle being a full-blown expansion pack. All the gear is so radically better than anything in the base game, all the environments are just flush with nasty boss fights everywhere, it's just really fun and a blast to grind through repeatedly, and there's no reason to ever return to the base game's world other than to use a particular vendor that can duplicate any item.

The big drawback with getting into that game is that some of the systems are extremely impenetrable without reading. Basically your current class dictates stat leveling bonuses, so if you don't pick the "right" class, you end up massively underpowered at max level. Basically, unless you want to be a caster, switch to Assassin as soon as possible and level that all the way to 100 cause upon switching back to whatever other physical damage class you want to play as, you'll have vastly more attack power than if you'd just levelled as the class you were planning on eventually being. You then gain reduced stat bonuses based on class from 100-200, so if you truly want to min-max you're stuck with Assassin all the way to 200. If you want to be a caster, you can stick with Mage and Sorcerer all the way to 200, though leveling as Fighter at the very beginning is recommended for big HP gains that you won't get from the caster classes.

However, also be aware that Assassin is not quite as fun as some of the other classes, IMO. It is still fun, though. Ones I'd highly recommend are Assassin with gear/abilities geared towards climbing on enemies and stabbing them, Strider with gear (ring that improves the skill is most important) towards helm splitter ability (you do backflips and do insane damage to enemies with daggers), and either Mage or Sorcerer (Mage has faster casts and can heal, Sorcerer has bigger, much more spectacular damage spells but they take forever to cast and you can't heal).

Also, be aware that the pawns you can get online are INCREDIBLY overpowered compared to the random ones you can summon in the game world or the average one you can find on the online hub. I'd suggest doing searches for highly rated ones and get a team where you have one with the archery AOE abilities and one with the Mage healing or Sorcerer damage abilities depending on what you want. Fighter/warrior pawns aren't spectacular.

The combat is loose and frenetic and I think it's easily one of the most fun systems I've ever encountered in an RPG. I even loved playing as a caster with their insane like 10 second cast times where I'd frequently get knocked over by the dragon/ogre just before the cast went off. Once your character is max level you can safely keep respeccing to different vocations and leveling up the different jobs without impacting your stats at all.

So yeah, long way of saying you should stick with it. The base game is kinda meh, but if you know what you're doing you can get through to Bitterblack pretty quick, and then quickly start grinding on the overpowered enemies of the first wing of the dungeon and keep working your way up. I REALLY hope to see a sequel to this game.

gabito and Lorcan Ward like this.
  18. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

so I'm at the end of act 2 in Witcher 3 where you have to enlist all the helpers, shit what a grind. maybe its stuff I was supposed to do before, but getting over being everyone's gopher

19. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Dragon’s Dogma is one of the best and one of the worst RPGs I’ve played. If they made a second one and integrated more ease of use changes and better quality writing it would have a lot of potential. I loved the combat but it has the most incoherent story I’ve ever come across in any media.

has anyone played Necromunda - Hired Gun?

gabito likes this.
  20. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

I'm not much of a gamer, but I'm currently piecing together a little palm-sized Raspberry Pi 4 build for retro/vintage gaming that I can hook up to my projector or take with me on the road. Got the SD card loaded up with some cleaned-up ROMs, and the last few parts that I ordered will arrive today according to the postal tracking.

Mathemagician likes this.