What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Carrion Rocket

Carrion Rocket Registered Lurker

Finished the single player in tomb raider. I'll finish up the challenges and tombs later.

I'm trying to clean up my PS+ backlog on my PS3. I might do either Puppeteer or Thief next.

Mathemagician likes this.
  2. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

We’ll I just did the Witcher 3 mission with the play.

fuck me. That really should have been left out. For a game with allot of great little side stories , that sucked.

3. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I burned through 1 quickly, as you know, and only missed one trophy (the codex one, I didn't ask anderson about protheans at the beginning of the game!!). They REALLY nerfed the achievements on this. I got all of them on the 360 version, and it was hell - you had to get 100 of all those "use spell X times" trophies instead of 25, AND you had to cast them yourself - your squadmates didn't count. So, you had to play as a minimum of three classes just to do all of them. Plus, there were achievements for things like getting to level 60 that required two full playthroughs on the same character (and you got a lot less EXP cause of the way you got massively reduced EXP while driving). Very welcome changes! Oh, and here, they moved the insanity achievement to the "Collection" section so you can get the game platinums individually without doing them. Not that insanity on ME1 was hard, at least not as a soldier in NG+.

I got the platinum on 2, also VERY easy compared to the original.

I'm now probably halfway through 3. There are a lot of things here I didn't remember AT ALL, even though I'm pretty sure I played them. Ex, I didn't remember a second of the Leviathan DLC. I didn't even know there WAS an Omega DLC, so it's possible I didn't ever get that one. I definitely remember using Javik all the time and I remember my one playthrough the Citadel DLC, though, so maybe the problem is just the Leviathan DLC isn't very interesting except lorewise. I haven't started the Omega DLC yet, so maybe that will come back to me.

This game, despite having easily the best gameplay, has some very odd downgrades from 2. The biggest one is the goddam quest log. For some reason, they simplified it to ONLY show the quest details and not your progress. So, your quest log fills up with these side collection quests and they just say like "go find X and bring it to guy" but they don't give ANY indicator as to whether you already found X or not. It's nonsensical that they'd take out any quest progress notifiers in the log. But, they did, since they were definitely there in 2!!

I appreciate that you gain EXP during the levels, more like 1, instead of levelling/exp being almost entirely confined to the mission complete screens like in 2. It makes things feel more RPG-like again. I don't really like the mass quantities of weapon upgrades everywhere, but hey, better than 1 where you could get multiple copies of everything.

The actual UI looks ugly and bad to me, for some reason. It reminds me of the UI for the old Games for Windows interface. Ugly and blue and with bad 3D effects on all the window edges. And I don't like the segmented health bars on enemies. Minor quibbles, but I think 2 just looked slicker in that regard.

The levels aren't burned into my brain like 1 and 2's were. I mean, I only played through it 3 or 4 times as compared to at least 5 or 6 for 1/2, but still, I should remember more than I do. The plot is simultaneously a lot better than 2's (it picks up from the first game and really ups the stakes and starts tying a lot of major things from the games together spectacularly, ex curing the genophage), but also full of stupid BS (now Cerberus is a completely different organization with thousands of disposable zombie soldiers? there's a goddam sword ninja assassin complete with superhero mask? Shepard keeps having boring dream sequences where you have to waddle around chasing the kid who died at the beginning of the game?).

3's also got one achievement that I think is probably bugged that's going to necessitate two playthroughs for me to get the platinum - ONE of the power achievements requires you to actually cast the power yourself, and it's the one for setting 100 dudes on fire. Won't work with squad inferno ammo if a teammate casted it, and I'm an Adept, so none of my powers can set guys on fire. On 360, Warp counted (for some reason), but it doesn't here. Boo.

I'm running into problems with the cross-game romance achievements. First in 1, the boring Kaidan like, forced himself on Shepard so that got screwed up. Then he's not in the second game, so you can't get the achievement unless you romance someone else. I never did romance as fem-Shep in 2 before so I didn't know who was even an option or how any played out, so I went with Samara, found out she didn't count for the achievement, and then had to settle on Thane. I told Kaidan to fuck off as soon as I encountered him in 3 to continue with Thane. Then due to plot with Thane I didn't remember in 3, that meant I couldn't get the achievement for continuing a romance into the third game!! So now I'm having to romance the Yeoman Chambers replacement just for an achievement. My character is a cheap hussy.

gabito likes this.
  4. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Got the the end of the Control story - I didn't expect the game to be that short. Oh well.

The good: It's a visual spectacle. My PC can't handle the ray-tracing without becoming a slideshow, but if it worked I imagine it would look glorious. The world-building is fantastic. A lot of people criticized the story, 'cause it's a little nonsensical, but I think it's supposed to be. You're not supposed to "get it", it's supposed to be vague and open to interpretation etc. For every question answered, you have two new questions. You can find reviews that pick the combat apart, but unless you're one of those xXxGamer69xXx youtuber types who micro-analyzes combat mechanics, then the combat is lots of fun. Throwing things is enjoyable. The upgrade path for powers is mostly fun but I wish it gave you those powers with less grinding for ability points. I noticed that the in-world sound came across really well in terms of modelling distance and things like that.

The bad: While the in-world audio was good, the non-diegetic audio was actually pretty terrible - enough to be noticeable and irritating. The sub-bass WOMP sound that plays every time you back out of a menu has way too much low end content, which makes my cheaper speakers fart out, and my home cinema speakers vibrate the house. If you quickly select things in the menu, like just passing the mouse over icons, the sounds stack and sometimes pop and crackle. I had some overall stability problems- while the game was short, it crashed on me three times, each time leaving me paranoid when I resumed.

The ugly: Performance on console was abysmal. Embarrassingly bad. I mentioned it already. It was bad enough that I restarted on PC to get away from it, and I'm not someone who's usually THAT picky about performance.

Overall, I like the game. There's a lot of ambition here, and a lot of technical stuff to gawk at, but the tradeoff is stability and performance problems. I think this is a game that will be a lot of fun to revisit with better hardware in a generation or two - when we have the PS6 and the Xbox.... I can't even think of a good joke, they'll probably just call it XBox again and nobody will know which console is which.

5. MFB

MFB Banned

Hit a roadblock in Sekiro, stuck between two bosses - one at Hirata Estate (Drunkard Jinzo, he's got too many god damn minions with him), and the other being the god damn Guardian Ape; so now I'm back tracking through the entire map to farm points/sen to buy as many spirit emblems as I can, and pick up some extra skills for the slash after prosthetic tools.

It's a delicate balancing act trying to farm skill points and not lost them on death

6. wankerness

Damn, ME3 DLC had some truly nasty stuff in it. That last boss in the Citadel DLC and the last encounter in the Omega DLC both killed me several times in a row. It would probably be easier as a sentinel, but I'm only on normal! Ouch. Then the mirror match in the arena was also just comically bad - limped through to round 3, but then SIX shepards spawn and annihilate you. Ack. Maybe I'm not any good at this game after all!

I definitely never even heard about the Omega DLC, this was all new stuff to me. The bonus powers available at the end are quite something. I wish I'd done it earlier, since Lash in particular is a gamechanger for an adept since it goes through shields.

7. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

I've set up a couple of custom EQ presets on my soundcard software for games that have overly loud bass frequencies.
    When i'm gaming using headphones, i use one as standard, as games often have really loud explosions with a lot of lower frequencies, and then the rest of the game is too quiet if i turn down the master volume for those.

8. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

Worth noting that you wont lose skill points on death, just the progress to the next skill point iirc.

9. MFB

MFB Banned

Yeah, I'm right in between skill points, and then lose half of my progress upon dying when I come upon a new enemy and get overly cocky.

Last night I was trying to get the Ravens Mist prosthetic tool, and there's an enemy that is the same as the Lone Shinobi fight; ended up dying to him and it cost me about 1200 pts :(

10. Leviathus

Yeah i died so many times to that purple ninja at hirata, probably one of my favorite encounters in the game tho.

11. MFB

MFB Banned

Fucking hell, this Guardian Ape fight is so fucking LONG. You can barely get any attacks in on him at one time, it's all hit and run, and without the ability to do any sort of stealth deathblow or posture buildup on him by deflection it takes FOREVER. I finally cracked into phase 2, but he still manages to make me use my Resurrection before that point, as well as a couple Gourd heals so I'm fighting on uneven terms.

This is seriously annoying, and knowing I hate to do it again later on isn't helping either.

12. wankerness

Don't you have to fight multiple of them simultaneously later on? Boy, am I glad I abandoned that game quickly. Way too much skill required compared to DS1/2/3/BB.

13. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

Starting to get a bit of Witcher 3 fatigue. I’m level 20 something now and doing stuff around skellkge and I kind of feel I’m traveling or watching cut scenes more than playing the game.

14. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

I was feeling a bit tired of bloodborne, so I did what any non-self respecting masochist would do and got myself dark souls 3 for pc.

I also had to get a bluetooth dongle, so I could torture myself properly with an xbox 1 controller.

Funnily enough, the game seems to be much easier in the beginning, than bloodborne was.

15. Leviathus

You might want to download the Blue Sentinel mod if you're playing online, there's some weird exploit invaders can use to fuck with your shit that's becoming more of a problem recently apparently. Check the DS3 reddit for the whole explanation.

16. MFB

MFB Banned

The Guardian Ape 2 fight, is two monkeys - the Guardian Ape from the fight I'm currently in as his Phase 2 version, and Brown Ape who is apparently pretty basic skillset and counterable for easy posture damage/slashes. BUT, it does still mean I need to crack three deathblows in one boss fight which I've currently not have to do, so we'll see when I get there.

It's fucking brutal, the combat at times makes perfect sense to me, and other times when I try to think of it as a rhythm game and that you need to time the parries it seems impossible.

17. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I don't know that just an eq would do it in this case, 'cause it's not a matter of the overall balance of the game being off - the games "mix" for the most part is ok - it's just this one sound that happens sometimes, and a bad implementation of UI selection sounds - maaaaaaaaaybe if you stuck a compressor on just the sub-bass that would help in one spot, but an eq can't do anything to fix stacked up sound effects and crackling (there's audible artifacts if you play a bunch of UI sounds at once). It's a disappointingly rough edge in what's otherwise a pretty polished presentation.

Speaking of slightly disappointing:
    I've starting playing Kingdom Hearts 3. And it's not bad but.... I dunno, something feels off. The story still makes no sense, but I didn't expect it to. The game sort of feels mechanically like it's not much of a step forward for the series at all. Kinda feels like it's trying to play the hits from previous games, but I'm not sure it gets why they worked before, if that makes any sense. There's some details that feel like they cared and put a lot of effort in, but there's other details that feel like they're just there to check some boxes without having a good reason. I don't know if it's maybe a nostalgia glasses thing - I had fond memories of 1, 2 and 358/2, but this is just making me want to go back and play those instead. I'm only pretty early into the game, so maybe it improves.

18. MFB

MFB Banned

KH3 for me, was just too little, too late.

I found it incredibly awkward to play after having gone through KH1 while in junior high (pretty sure it was released in '01), KH2 in high school early years, and then the next installment coming out when I'm now legitimately THIRTY years old. It took half my life for that game to come out, which is bonkers, and it plays almost identically to the originals which begs they question: WHY?

19. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Am I remembering it wrong, or did the originals have much better level design? Like the levels served a purpose more than just being a backdrop to follow waypoint markers and fight bad guys. I remember there being a sense of exploration/progression to levels that I'm just not seeing here. But yeah, I'm kinda left with that same sense of "but why?" so far. It's not that it's a baaaaaaad game, it's just not doing anything that seems to justify the time it took to get where they are.

20. wankerness

Well, hit a great bug in ME3 where I didn't get an "unmissable" story achievement (the one for freeing Legion/"hacking" the collective). Guess I have to reload my last manual save (from hours before that) and try again!

I really think the Tuchanka/Genophage and Rannoch/Geth War sections of this game are the best story segments of the whole series. I mean, I sort of get people hating the endings (I didn't at the time, we'll see this time), but I don't get people that dismiss the whole game outright. And damn, the graphics in this game are REALLY far beyond 2 in many sections when it comes to environments. Especially the Citadel DLC, very Blade Runner-y look to things. That said, the minor item-acquistion sidequests and crap are really tedious and pointless in this game. And that section where you have to fight the reaper with the charging targeting gun thing was infuriating, I died 6 or 7 times. I remember getting through this game on Insane and thinking it was a breeze besides the one awful thing right at the very end of the game where you have to kill a marauder with a pistol in slow motion no matter what your class spec. Maybe it's just that insane wasn't substantially different from normal, and I only did the hard citadel stuff as a spec other than Adept.

Also, there's some stuff in the game that's not at all transparent. I was quite a ways in before I read online about how to upgrade weapons. I must have known about it at some point, but I didn't remember. The game doesn't tell you how to do that at all unless you happen to go to that section of the ship and interact with the computer that does it! And then I had the same thing happen again recently when I discovered the "Upgrades" computer in Liara's office - would have been nice to know about that much earlier, too! The only one that it gives you a hint about is the bonus powers stuff in the medbay, since at least when you get bonus powers there's a pop-up that tells you to go check out the medbay to learn them.

Having previously only done the Citadel DLC when I was at the end of the game, I was also annoyed to discover that some party members' invites are "locked" behind game progress. First I couldn't get Tali, Zaeed, or Jacob. I finished Rannoch for Tali, and did the dumb little sidequests for Zaeed and Jacob so now they're available, but I still can't invite Miranda or use her in the simulator! Guess I have to try again after the next chunk of story.

So, yeah, I'm getting there with this one. I've done all the DLC besides the final party in the Citadel DLC, and I've done every available sidequest to the point I'm at. I'm going to have to replay a chunk to get the bugged story trophy, and I'll have to start a new character with inferno ammo to quickly get that fire trophy (looks like it would probably be VERY quick since there's an early spot with infinitely respawning enemies), but then I should have the platinum, I think. The "beat the mirror match on normal or higher" trophy seems to be by far the hardest trophy of any of these remasters, and I did that already.

gabito likes this.