What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Bugsnax is on other platforms, and Demon's Souls is a remake, isn't it? IMO the Playstation side definitely always sort of "wins" in terms of feeling like there's games worth going there for that you can't get elsewhere. (Whether or not that should count as a win from a consumer standpoint is maybe debatable.)

From what I understand, there's almost no real Xbox exclusives anymore. The only title I can think of that's not also on PC is Halo 5. I vaguely remember an announcement being made that anything coming to the Series consoles would also be available on Windows - because it's coming to "the platform of Xbox" and not "the console of Xbox", if that makes any sense.

I do kinda wish that you didn't need specialized hardware to play all this stuff. Imagine being able to play Nintendo first party stuff natively on a PC, no emulation or anything. They're all just different implementations of the same idea at the end of the day. They're all just computers in boxes.

2. Nicki

Nicki Twit

The only current Series exclusive is The Median, but that one is flying under the radar right now.

As for pipeline, there's plenty, but none with firm release dates. The big ones seem to be Halo Infinite (obviously), Fable 4, Perfect Dark, STALKER 2 and Hellblade 2.

3. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

You can still get it for Windows though, so the whole "exclusive" thing is kinda.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Yeah, but if any of them have true "next-gen" graphics like the PS5 games (I would expect that they would!), getting an Xbox would be far cheaper than getting a computer that could handle it at the same level. Especially with graphics card markets right now.

Mathemagician likes this.
  5. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

[​IMG]
    I don't know if Molyneaux is attached to this one or not, but how the hell are they gonna disappoint people for a 4th time? :lol:

6. Nicki

Nicki Twit

He currently doesn't work for any Microsoft affiliated company, so no chance that he's attached to the project.

7. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

So I haven't finished HZD but I'm close enough to the end to say that this is a really stupid premise to hinge the story on.

Let's give the dumbass who doomed the planet complete access to and control sf the plan to save the world for some reason so that he can dumbass that up too when we kill off the sort of main protagonist for no other reason than to have this convoluted story make sense

This is why stories in video games don't matter to me. You put 60 hours into a game just to have the story Rey's Parentsed in the final stretch. It's not a compelling world if you have to justify its existence with a series of terrible decisions people wouldn't make.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2021
  8. wankerness

Yeah, Demon's Souls is a remake, but it's not like a cheap remaster, it's full-blown and has some of the best graphics of any game now. For someone without a PS3 who's never played it, it's a no-brainer to consider the PS5 version the ideal one, and not even contemplate trying out the original version.

I didn't know Bugsnax was on any other platforms. Regardless, I have a free copy of it for PS5 and don't have it for anything else. So, that's what I'll play it on someday! Unless Xbox...whatever the new one is called somehow reverses the PS4/Xbox1 dynamic.

9. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I mean, disappointment from all the lies was a core part of the fable experience.

If he isn’t here to promise that your first character will build a lineage that other character NPC’s in the game will write about in books that are actually in the game. And that your character’s kids who you will play as can read. Only for it to not even have a basic new game + mode, is it really a fable game?

BlackMastodon likes this.
  10. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I'm reeeaallllly liking Resident Evil Village. They hit a great balance of horror, action, and characters in this one. I can easily see this on my year end list.

11. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

Finished both bowsers fury and 3d world with my son and just did a quick play through of halo reach cause it was 5 bucks a couple weeks ago. I’m almost done with donkey Kong tropical freeze and was then gonna start HZD. I’m seeing Titanfall 2 for 3 bucks on a sale right now. I’m not gonna play multi player and see the campaign is short but is it worth it? Not so much worried about the price vs. wasting time, LOL!

12. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

Is Days Gone a good game? It's about to release on PC and i've got a 17% off offer on it. Looks like my type of game in general, especially after liking HZD.

13. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

Titanfall 2 campaign is awesome. One of the best singleplayer campaigns of the last few years for me. I wish there were more first person AAA singleplayer games.

14. MFB

MFB Banned

Titanfall 2 is in the top 5 FPS of all time because it succeeds in both campaign and multiplayer; it's not super long, but it's so god damn good, if for nothing else than the mechanics of it.

15. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

+1 on the Titanfall 2 campaign being excellent

16. wankerness

Days Gone is a game that takes at least 10 hours before it gets good, but is quite good after that.

The characters and writing are pretty bad. YMMV. I've heard some (insane) people claim it's better than Last of Us 2 or whatever cause they're offended by LoU2, but when you have a romantic lead saying "i'll marry you as long as you promise to ride me as much as you ride that bike" you know you're dealing with 10 year old writers. Lead character's kind of a grumbly douche, too.

Main attraction is fighting hordes. It's more like 20-30 hours into the game before they tell you to do it directly, but you can deal with some of the small ones if you're good enough and spec into the right skills more like 10 hours in. It's amazingly fun, like no other game I've played, and it's a damn shame they stuck it so far into the game. If the game had started with that, I think it would have gotten MUCH better reviews. The other big sticking point for the early game is that your bike is constantly going out of gas for a long time - eventually you can pretty much ignore fuel once you've gotten some fuel tank upgrades.

BlackMastodon and Werecow like this.
  17. wankerness

Just finished the first playthrough of Nier Replicant, took about 30 hours (the "speed-run" trophy is 15 hours, apparently if you know what you're doing it should be more like 8).

I'd forgotten just how unbelievably depressing the last 20-30 minutes of Playthrough A of this game is. It's like, CONCEPTUALLY devastating. The whole "black scrawl" thing is one of the weirdest apocalypse scenarios ever, and when you find out exactly what it is and the villain's motivations...oof. Plus, part 2 is sort of like the last gasps of an already post apocalyptic world. Like the last remaining people were rebuilding, but now nope, they're just going to slowly fade away instead.

I did a LOT of the sidequests, but skipped a bunch in part 2 - the fetch quests in part 2 are astoundingly bad. Like, several hours of grinding bad. Plus you get garbage rewards and no plot interest for completing them, so all it does is set you back really far in the achievement for upgrading weapons cause you have to turn in the same extremely rare items that you need for upgrading weapons. I did some of the other tedious stuff, like doing the fishing trophies. And upgrading the phoenix spear to level 4. It was worth it, as I pretty much annihilated all the bosses and got all the speedkill achievements except the ones that required you to skip cutscenes (which is a really annoying aspect of these trophies, especially for the last bosses, since you can't just reload a save and do it again to see the cutscenes).

The game overall is still pretty good. Things really come together at the end of Playthrough A and reveal the full depths of what's going on. Most of the sidequests are truly terrible and a colossal waste of time. The settings and music are a bit too repetitive even compared to Nier Automata, but they're still good, you just are running back and forth between the same locations a LOT.

The biggest advantage of this game to Nier Automata is that your main party members, Kaine and Emil and Grimoire Weiss, are FAR more memorable and endearing than the characters in Nier Automata. I'd argue the plot is also more emotionally involving, especially when you get to the end of the first playthrough.

Starting playthrough 2 now! I'm glad to see they actually got to do what they originally wanted to do with it, making the gameplay much more varied. I expect the next couple playthroughs will only take a few hours since the sidequests are carried over between all playthroughs and I already did most of them. Guess it's playthrough C or D where you do all the grinding for upgrading all the weapons. Yuck.

gabito likes this.
  18. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

Thankyou, just ordered it.
    I wanted to go in cold if i could with no spoilers. The characters do seem a bit immature in the trailers, and playthrough videos are too long to make a judgement without also getting spoiled. I love post apocalypse stuff though, so i like the general idea of it.

I just hope the PC port is ok now haha. I usually wait, but 17% off on a game i'd probably buy on release anyway was hard to resist.

19. wankerness

i haven’t heard any horror stories about the pc version, it’s probably fine. Again just be ready to commit a lot of time before it really starts clicking. The other people I know who liked it all described the same experience I had. Others I know just couldn’t justify that much of a time investment in something they weren’t enjoying and didn’t get that far. It’s a very slow burn!

20. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

It is feee on pan this month. I played it about half hour and then uninstalled it

It may get better. But it just felt like another generic open world game
    To me , set in a very overdone zombie storyline.