What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

On the bright side, with Judgement being traditional Yakuza game, they also announced Yakuza will remain a turn based RPG, And I am totally ok with this.

Also, excited to get Resident Evil Village tonight. All the reviews are saying it had a lot of RE4 vibes.

2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Oh my god, I HATE the room in Nier where you have to get past a bunch of traps but fail instantly if you run. The controls are so loose that it's incredibly hard not to accidentally run for a split-second, instantly failing the puzzle. Ugh. I forgot all about this. Makes me want to play it on PC so I can use the walk/run toggle button.

3. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Resident Evil Village is pretty neat so far. It definitely keeps the vibe of 7, but much more enemy variety and action that adds elements of 4 to the mix. I’m also getting a feeling this game is going to eventually start tying in story from the rest of the series by the time this is done.

4. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

fired up the Witcher 3 on my switch and think it may have finally grabbed me after a few false starts.

does healing always suck in this game though ? Find I’m constantly meditating to heal and save food. That’s fine , but it’s annoying to go through menus just to heal.

Also my daughter got me Mario 3D / bowsers fury. So been playing that with her a bit. Fun game

my ps4 is officially on its last legs. Keeps crashing., even watching Netflix. Already replaced the hd once. No one knows when any ps5’s will be available here. So looks like I may be switch only for a while.

5. Carrion Rocket

Carrion Rocket Registered Lurker

Started a throw-away / fuck-around Street Kid playthrough in Cyberpunk 2077 (PS4). It's somehow more buggy than when I played it at launch. And a lot of the bugs I've encountered now that actually effect gameplay are carried over from the Witcher 3.

Plus, the Getting Warmer gig on my capped character save is still bugged too. I can get the game to start the gig and recognize all my actions up to grabbing the coolant from the bathroom, but the game won't let me inject the netrunner with it. I tried for a good twenty minutes trying to get in some convoluted position in the room that would somehow hopefully trigger the prompt for me to use it, but to no avail.

On a side note: I've tried for the past few days to pick up an Xbox One locally and have had no luck. M$ still allegedly make the One S, but I can't seem to find a listing for a new one and the prices on used consoles seem to have gone up with the lack of availability of the new Series S/X.

6. wankerness

What do you want an Xbox for if you have a ps4? Just the backwards compatibility? Or halo/gears?

7. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Healing in W3 is rough early on. As you get stronger and better gear you find yourself doing it less as you outlevel the areas. And food starts falling out of trees.

8. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Spent about 2 hours in Tokyo Xanadu EX+, and after so much time spent in the Cold Steel games, jumping here is like moving from my old house into the same exact house with the furniture reshuffled a bit.

Tokyo Xanadu is Persona/Cold Steel but replace the turn based combat with Ys style hacky slashy. It's certainly very Cold Steel esque: it's just as damn slow (it took the first hour to finally get to combat) and all the life/school sim sections are near identical. Hell, there's an Adol Easter Egg right in the intro, has some CS2 in game footage and a CS3 promo poster in the electronics store, and even has the exact Towa character, just in case you forgot you're playing a Nihon Falcom game. And if the game wasn't already anime up the butt, every chapter begins with the intro cinematic, giving an anime episodic feel. I suppose since I started watching Demon Slayer now, having an interactive anime experience isn't too far off.

So far so familiar, though controls are a bit on the crap side. A bit on the clunky side and the buttons the actions are assigned feel off and awkward. It's no Ys, that's for sure.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  9. Nicki

Nicki Twit

No. They're discontinued. IMO, the One S isn't worth buying at this stage of the game. If you're going to go with an Xbox One, get a used One X. They can be had for less than half of what they retailed at. I picked up the One X used for $300 CAD and I've seen them go on FB Marketplace for as low as $150 CAD as recently as this month. I also have a One S that I used prior to the One X and have noticed a difference going from the One S to the One X. I've relegated my One S to my 720p screen in the family room and my One X is connected to my expensive 4k TV in my den. However, if you can afford to pick up a Series X when availability isn't an issue, that would be optimal.

Anyway...

My friend and I are about to finish Far Cry 5, I got my RE:VIII deluxe preorder, but I'm playing through RE:Revelations 2 because I've put it off long enough and I love Revelations 1 (even have the original misprinted label version of the 3DS).

10. wankerness

Got to the time jump in Nier, and that made a lot more sense with the Gestalt protagonist. The sidequests in this game are SO bad though, especially in part 2. In the first five minutes I've already gotten two "collect 10 of a very rare drop that you need to farm tons of for weapon upgrades and give them to me for almost no reward." I have to look up a trophy guide to this game to find out if there's any point in doing every quest.

I started up Code Vein and it spectacularly crashed in the freaking tutorial. Not a good start!

11. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

HZD just pulled that "you think you're at the ending, but not really" move. Even went as far as has a character verbalize the "point of no return" warning that some games give. I could have sworn I was in the last hour or two, but it's still going. I'm ok with this, 'cause the main quest lines have some meat on them. I feel like the side vs story missions in this game kinda feel really distinct from eachother.

12. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Got to the end of the main HZD story today - definitely a worthwhile game. By the time I got to the end, I had done all the cauldrons, tallnecks, bandit camps, etc., but skipped most of the collectibles. I have a suspicion that the side quests had more of an impact on the ending than I had expected. The open world is not quite up to BotW standard in terms of reward for exploration, but locales mostly felt unique, and missions definitely felt better than your standard Ubisoft fare. I had some early complaints about how busy the visuals are at times, but I got used to it, and I maintain that the art direction was great.

I'm going to hold off on the DLC for a while though, take a break from it, 'cause it does start to feel a bit same-y after a while.

gabito likes this.
  13. wankerness

IIRC the sidequests affect who shows up for the end battle, presumably it's like Mass Effect 2 or something where if you don't do enough of them things don't go well for you. Not sure, though, as I did all the sidequests on both playthroughs!

The DLC is quite good and the new boss-type enemies pack a hell of a wallop. I remember I went through ALL the ammo I had stockpiled on the first one. Figured out later you could just shoot them strategically in the weak spots with the most powerful normal arrows and that was more efficient than spamming them with every explosive, but hey. Good DLC either way.

I played some Code Vein, in offline mode this time, and had no issues. It's DEFINITELY a dark souls clone in terms of combat feel and some of the structural stuff, but the map design seems to be much more typical action game (or maybe Dark Souls 2) style and there's quite a bit more story (that I don't care about so far). However, the leveling system and class system seems to be very different from DS apart from having a "souls" equivalent currency and how you level up at bonfires. You like, unlock "classes," and you get the associated bonuses for that class based on which "class mod" you have equipped. I only have a couple of them right now, and I really like the chunk of the heavy melee combat in this game, so I haven't really checked much of the available variety out yet. But, seems like there's a ranged/light melee build, a caster, and melee as the three defaults and then tons of more specialized versions. And you can temporarily equip class mods at any time and learn abilities for them kinda like a job system. Seems pretty good so far! Time to split time between it and FIVE Nier playthroughs :p Plus I have to try Ashen at some point, though I don't think I want to play two different soulslikes at the same time.

14. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

good to know I'm not the problem

I just don't get why you would make healing inaccessible early game . to push you into the side quests I guess

15. Carrion Rocket

Carrion Rocket Registered Lurker

Still fucking around in Cyberpunk. I'm mostly doing side stuff to level up and build my stealth/tech character so I can just bulldoze my way through the main story missions.

They have mostly fixed the cop responses in the game. When I first played it you could take a brisk walk and get away from the on foot cops. Now, you better have a vehicle available 'cause they will just spawn in until you're dead. They don't even bother trying to arrest you, it's really similar to GTA V in that regard. But outside of a couple scripted events in the game, I have yet to see the cops interact with any npcs. You can be in a full on gang shootout and they will keep walking.

The One X is the one I'm primarily looking for. I've seen a couple for around $250 USD, and if they work at all, they tend to be just the console by its self. Most of what I've seen that are complete with cables and controller are around go for around $325+.

Yeah, there's a couple Series S consoles near me, but I'd much rather have the X console of the two. Digital only is cool and all, but it ends up costing more in the long run in my experience. Hopefully the backwards compatibility gets expanded, because from what I've seen only a handful of original xbox games are playable on the Series X. I've got a bunch of games on disc and my og black brick has been dying for a while. I might just have to look for a way to fix it or just outright replace it otherwise.

16. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

To be honest, with the whole Xbox thing becoming more about the platform and less about the actual console, I have trouble seeing the point. Games right now, as I understand it, are still targeting the One/X/S and PC all at the same time, so you're not being cut out of anything by not having the latest. The current ("previous"?) gen xboxes have enough of an install base that Series X/S exclusives don't make sense right now, and probably won't for a while because of all the weird hardware shortages. Only reason I see to buy one is if you literally have nothing to game on currently. Got a PC? Xbox is irrelevant. Got a one S or X already? It's a hardware upgrade with no games yet - the equivalent of getting a new video card to flex because nothing will push it yet.

17. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Finally playing DOOM 5 years later - Fun times!

Mathemagician likes this.
  18. Nicki

Nicki Twit

As long as the console comes with the power cable, it should be fine. For sanitary reasons alone, I would never use a used controller because people that aren't anal about keeping their controllers clean hand off really disgusting controllers. When I got my One X, the guy included a controller, but there was dead skin, cheetoh dust and all kinds of nastiness in it. I didn't even bother cleaning & santizing it until a couple of months ago. Point is, just buy a brand new controller to be free of nastiness, have a warranty and a problem free controller.

As for OG Xbox backwards compatibility, that's odd. I haven't heard of original Xbox games having issues with backwards compatibility but looking at the official list, it looks pretty small. Maybe they limited it to what would be considered "Greatest Hits" that didn't get a re-release for a newer console?

This is the entire reason I'm holding off buying one until at least mid 2022 even though I have the funds to get a Series X right now. There are quality of life improvements in the Series S/X that make it worth the price of admission for some right now, like sub 20 sec load times on big games like Skyrim & Witcher 3 as well as quick resume, but more or less every news outlet is saying the same thing right now for both PS5 and Xbox - "You're not missing much."

TedEH likes this.
  19. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I agree controllers get nasty, but they also tend to be pricey on their own. For the sake of $50-80, they aren't hard to clean. The most egregious bit of grossness tends to be in the seams where dead skin just kinda piles up. It's pretty easy to disassemble the controller and just scrape that stuff off. I got one once where I think it had been left in some laundry for a while and it had a smell to it... like a weird cologne or something. I ended up using it as a parts donor instead of really using it.

20. wankerness

Well, PS5 has two exclusives people actually like so far (Returnal and Demon Souls). Not many, of course. I also really want to play Bugsnax. Does Xbox have anything exclusive in the pipeline at all?