What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Jedi Knight 2 is still a very good game, ON PC. The console ports did not implement auto-aiming or aim-assist or ANYTHING, and there is not one single successful console shooter that doesn't use that, because controllers are trash for aiming compared to mouse/keyboard. Basically the game is just so bad on console because it expects you to have the same speed/precision as mouse/keyboard but didn't give you the same helper tools as console shooters usually do.

I've heard the Switch version is the most playable since it has gyro-aiming enabled, but the speed of turning is still a problem.

2. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Yeah I remember loving Jedi Knight 2 on PC back in the day, and got excited when it got ported to PS4. That excitement died within 15 minutes and I haven't touched it since.

3. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

While I waited for Tokyo Xanadu to install I did a quick run on the tutorial for Horizon Zero Dawn, which reminded me that I still have a free copy of God Of Four gathering dust.

Also jumped back on Spiritfarer and got started on the DLC. It's really weird and melancholy getting back on that boat again.

4. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I've still been poking through Horizon, and I think I might have gone a little deep in the side-quests compared to the main story. As time goes on, I'm liking the dialogue a bit less as far as side-quest characters go, but the actually gameplay loop itself is good enough that it doesn't bug me. I went back to the actual story line yesterday when I realized I'm something like 15 levels above the recommended for it, and I continue to like where they're going with it. The games coolest environments and story-telling moments, I think, tend to be in the main quests, the ruins, the more sci-fi bits.

5. wankerness

Yeah, HZD is like the vast majority of games where the sidequests are filler to boost your level up higher if you're having trouble. They put a lot more work into them than the likes of most Assassin's Creed games and Nier and whatnot, but they're still definitely inferior to the main quest. As it should be! I usually prefer that over games where the main quest kinda sucks and is nowhere near the most interesting part of the game (ex Skyrim).

6. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I tend to be of the opinion that the best open worlds really thrive on their side-content. That's where BotW shines, it's like 90% side quest. I can tell that at least some effort went into making all the content seem meaningful. There are certainly some filler quests. IMO most of the stuff that gets their own markers (cauldrons, bandit camps, etc) are challenging enough to warrant doing them, and the level boost and rewards make them feel worth doing.

StevenC likes this.
  7. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

I've restarted it on a higher difficulty now and enjoying it again. Also found an annoying auto-aim function in the options that was on by default. Turning that off has made it more enjoyable for me as well.
    I really like the lore and ruined areas too. I sorta wish there were more normal buildings to explore, and that there was more detail and "interest" inside them. I love finding the lore datapad things, but it seems like it'd be a monumental task to find them all, and they're often around buildings that are so ruined that you can't see any details other than the upright walls. The overall art direction and idea for the game universe is great.

8. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

Load time are quite fast on PS3. At the price of having the game at 15FPS... My big problem with V so far is the giant circle in the middle of the screen. Like what the hell with that?
    When it comes to mecha games... DW Gundam and Mobile Suit Gundam on PS3?
    Also, i' ve got so many games i have to play on PS 1&2.

9. wankerness

I guess it depends on what you call "sidequests." I think BOTW's sidequests (those marked sidequest in the quest log) are mostly horrible, besides the DLC shrines, the Tarrytown questline, and several of the ones in the "Shrine" quest category. Most of the others are like "GIVE ME 55 RUSHROOMS" or "Climb this building to see why it gets hit by lightning!!" or "get my wife a baked apple so she doesn't divorce me" or "hey slave, go kill two spider robots across that lake!" and the dialogue/"subplot" is even more of an afterthought than in the likes of Skyrim. The exploration and shrines themselves are all what's so good. The main quest absolutely stomps all over everything the game flags as a sidequest, even if the dungeons are sort of a distraction from the exploration.

Kinda like HZD's camps and giraffe towers and things are quite fun, it's the ones that have actual questgivers that are usually lackluster.

10. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Yeh, I guess I sort of read everything in BotW as a side quest, just 'cause of how everything is optional. I just enjoy the loop of exploring and being rewarded for exploring.

StevenC likes this.
  11. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

Gonna check out Works of Mercy today

12. wankerness

I think at some point towards the end of the game you can buy a map with their locations? I know you can with some of the other collectibles, anyway. I agree that the datapads are great, especially some of the ones you start finding towards the end of the game.

I FINALLY finished Persona 5 royal, only 110 hours! Gah. Now back to Nier, which I'm only about 5 hours in on. I think it's harder than the original, that damn boss in the Aerie came very close to killing me repeatedly. Maybe it's cause upgrade materials for weapons are a huge pain to find.

I also need to do the second playthrough on LoU2 so I can get the platinum and uninstall it. I wish I wasn't a completist on games that they're pretty easy on. I need to free up hard drive space for Code Vein, which I'm very curious to try (I've heard it described as "Anime Dark Souls" many times). The "complete" version was on sale for 20 bucks. And I got Spiritfarer, and Ashen (cel-shaded dark souls!!), and Ys Origin, cause they were all on sale too!

...and surgeon simulator/I am Bread

13. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Having more fun with HZD now, but gosh the intro sucks and the first 10 hours were terrible.

It's better now, but plenty of stuff is still just disappointing. Like climbing stuff is terrible. I just did a main quest that was basically climb a skyscraper. But I didn't have to climb a skyscraper. I had to hold up or over and occasionally press the jump button. And this is all over the game. Want to climb something tall to see if there's a reward? Walk around the base until you find the white markings. Does your map tell you there's a thing on top of something tall? Walk around the base until you find the white markings.

Like, I'll be playing the game and get up somewhere tall only to be 2" short on my jump to get to the top, notice the white climbing ledges, realise I can't get to them and descend the whole way just to go back up the boring way. This makes sense in compact linear dungeons of whatever, but in an open world it just ruins it for me. The Tallnecks are such a boring thing to do because it's not fun.

Also, the hunter's lodge. Why is that 3 quests long? It's the best thing so far. I wish enemies didn't respawn so soon too. For a quest I'll have to kill my way to the village, kill my way past the village, kill my way back to the village, kill my way across from the village, and finally kill my way back to the village. All while walking through the same enemy areas.

I'm trying not to compare this game to BotW, because it loses massively, but my goodness if it came out 6 months later and they'd played BotW to fix all the stuff that isn't fun but is so frequent this would be a far better game. But instead it came out the same week on far more powerful hardware and has aged so much worse.

14. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I found one spot on the map where there was a trail to follow that didn't seem attached to any quest. I thought this might be a cool exploration reward or something, but the trail led to a tall rock with no climbing surfaces - and the sparkly trail just ended at the base and continued at the peak of the rock with zero indication of whether or not it's possible to get up there. I suspect it's not possible.

StevenC likes this.
  15. Bloody_Inferno

Looks like a simultaneous global release on September this year. Certainly pumped for this.

16. wankerness

I'm tempted to replay HZD. I definitely liked it a hell of a lot more than I liked BOTW, even though I have gradually come to appreciate BOTW greatly over time. I think the combat is so incredibly better and the setting was so much more appealing to me that it made the difference. Exploration obviously is nowhere close, if that's what you value. Graphics are FAR better on HZD, mainly thanks to it actually taking advantage of the PS4 in a way almost nothing other than Naughty Dog games have, while BOTW was designed to run on the Wii-U/Switch. It's stylish as hell, but the pop-in is as bad as Subnautica and the lighting occasionally just turns into a big hazy mush, etc.

The climbing in HZD is a joke. It's clearly just copying the Uncharted thing, but instead of just holding directionals until your character visibly reaches for the next handhold and hitting jump, it takes out one step of the process, making it even more pointless. The Tomb Raider reboot games went the other way and made platforming slightly more difficult/involved from the Uncharted model. I guess it doesn't bug me, the climbing isn't really supposed to be an obstacle in the game. Kinda like the later Assassins Creed games, where you can climb up more surfaces than you can in BOTW, do it a lot faster, and have no stamina meter. BOTW is a totally different animal in that regard, where the climbing is one of the main game mechanics and also one of the main limiters of progress since so many areas are gated by lack of stamina unless you want to farm a ton of stamina food.

17. wankerness

36 minute video? NO THANKS! What is this, a sequel to Judgement?

I still haven't played more than a couple hours of it. It seemed fine, but 3/4 of the appeal of Yakuza games were the characters and I didn't cozy up to this guy nearly as quickly as I did with other Yakuza protagonists like Saejima, Akiyama and Ichiban.

18. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

The HZD climbing kinda feels like the weird traversal in Shadow of Mordor - like there's some kind of pathing thing that takes over and plays it for you.

19. Bloody_Inferno

First 5 minutes is the actual trailer. The rest is more the producers talking about it and some Q&A so you can skip those.

Here's the English trailer.

At this point the Yakuzaverse (and I hate saying that) needs to grow outside the usual suspects. I've made a lot of complaints about Judgment in general, like why it takes so long for Yagami to be accepted as a bona fide protagonist. But this kind of spin off is healthy to keep the sandboxes and games feel alive and authentic. Plus it'll feel better when Ichiban's next adventure comes along after a sojourn into someone else's POV (which was Judgment's strongest asset).

I've said before how Kamurocho is still one of the best sandboxes in gaming. Despite being so damn tiny compared to the large vast majestic worlds of every triple A open world game, it still feels much bigger, which isn't the same as being bigger full of side stuff that feels nothing more than crossing off a checklist. Kamurocho and now Ijincho is full of life. A bunch of multilayerd crazy folk and surroundings that change and evolve over the course of time.

Of course I can be cynical and just say "how convenient RGG studios can easily bust out these games in a year or 2. They can just spare the time designing a new sandbox map, and just use the same house and just reshuffle the furniture a bit."

20. wankerness

Right, hence why I listed other characters besides Kiryu and Majima. Though I'd argue Majima is a good example of what's lacking from Judgement guy. Yakuza 0 was my first Yakuza game, and I loved Majima within about 30 minutes of starting to play as him. Kiryu took playing Kiwami 1 to warm up to for me. Akiyama in particular also is instantly magnetic, as is Ichiban. Judgement guy was just...kind of boring. At least in the first two hours. Not as bad as baseball player man in Yakuza 5, but definitely low-tier.