What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I've only played 5 and a little bit of 4, from what I've heard everything pre-4 is very user-unfriendly, kind of tedious, and weirdly nasty in difficulty besides. I don't know much, though. "The way the timeline thing works out, there's no fast way through the game. Sort of a back and forth between bland high school drama and grindy rpg dungeon crawling." is accurate - there is no "fast way" through the game other than using skip on every single cutscene, which fortunately the game does allow you to do! However, it's not very grindy. If you play it like I do, you tend to clear dungeons in one or two in-game days, and the game's calendar is completely immutable - the same events have deadlines on the same days no matter when you choose to actually clear the dungeons, you just have more "free time" if you do the dungeons all in one long go in one day.

Basically every day is blocked into daytime/evening activity slots. For each slot, you can choose to hang out with people (basically, watch cutscenes that might result in improving "bonds" with other characters, which occasionally gives you bonuses for combat/dungeons/persona creation), go to a dungeon, or do activities to raise your "social stats" (many of these are also basically just watching cutscenes, some of them are more interactive, especially in P5 Royal with darts added). A lot of character bond events are gated behind your social stats being at a certain level.

There's a ton of planning and different ways to play the game, but if you're a completist paranoiac like me, you want to make sure you maximize every unit of time until everything's maxed. The game has the same number of available time slots no matter what, so trying to do dungeons as infrequently as possible and clear them in a single session is always ideal, or else you have a very, very slow-motion countdown to failure if you hit the end of all available timeslots and did a bad job of increasing social stats/bonds with characters. I think you could probably still beat the game without getting all the bonuses from personal bonds, but it would be a lot more difficult.

It's really not as "grindy" in a typical sense as most RPGs. I did ONE long grind session after reading that the spaceport boss was insanely difficult in P5 Royal, but before and after that I pretty much just did beelines for my objectives and killed enemies I happened upon incidently and have been fine. Oh, and grinding becomes an absolute joke once you're around level 50 - my last run through Mementos (the game-long dungeon that's basically only for "sidequests") consisted of just speeding everywhere in a van and running over/insta-killing every single enemy, getting several levels of experience without once having to see a combat screen.

2. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I think the space station is where I ended up taking a week or two off from the original Persona 5 too. It's my.fsvorite game only behind Final Fantasy VII, but yeah, I had 130 hours by the end. I want to finish Royal this year, but my backlog isn't getting better. In the span of one week alone has been NieR Replicant, Judgement PS5, and soon Returnal, plus I want to go back to 100% Yakuza Like a Dragon at some point.

I really should hook my PSTV back up and go back to Persona 4 Golden. Or they really should make a compilation of all of the games up through 4 Golden (and yes, both versions of Persona 2).

3. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Clocked a few hours on SaGa Frontier 1 and so far so smooth. I was prepared for some tough times, but then again, both Frontier 2 and Unlimited lulled me to a smooth and casual play before it ramped the difficulty curve and relentlessly kicked me in the balls.

I went through a few searches and the character Red was the most recommended starting character. This was around the time when Square Enix were naming their characters like Red and Blue at one point. Thankfully Red is one of those Super Sentai inspired characters (complete with his own theme song) and his story is (so far) straight forward enough to be a quasi tutorial in how to play the game. Also helps that currently I have one of the 3 races to familarise (the other main gimmick).

And I'm dying a lot. So I'm quick saving a lot.

4. wankerness

Gave in and bought Nier: Replicant cause I'm a Nier Automata fanboy for life. I've been going through it, and it feels more the same as the original than I thought it would. I probably just don't remember what combat in the original felt like, and this is probably actually quite a bit better, but I'm struck so far by how much it just feels like a remaster. I should try playing it again just to see.

I still greatly prefer the weird-looking surfer dad character of the Gestalt version to the little anime boy in shortpants you play as in this version, but at least the gameplay etc seems to be the same.

I'm only an hour or two in, seeing if I get the urge to complete Persona 5 Royal before really getting into it. Just finished the boat dungeon on that, so I'm coming up quickly on the end of the regular version's story and the point at where it becomes totally new. I really like the new characters they added (Councillor and Faith) and think that they integrated them into the main game well, I really hate the darts (gyro aiming/shake controls never are a favorite of mine and PS4 controllers are worse than the switch pro in that regard), I haven't really used the jazz club/temple.

5. MFB

MFB Banned

Circling back to this now, did anyone besides Ralyks get to play the demos when they were available during the stupid fucking windows? I've been crazy busy on my weekends, so I've missed all of them and I think there's no more between now and when the game drops.

Curious what the verdict was on whether or not the enemies were like a return to RE4, or if they kept the Nemesis/Mr. X style for some of the big bads

6. Ralyks

I actually missed out on the most recent RE Village demo, but apparently as of tomorrow night, both demos will be up for a week instead of 12 minutes.

Anyway, got Returnal. Where do I begin... It definitely feels like I'm playing a game truly made for the PS5, so that's good. The controls are tight, it's frantic and fast paced, and feels freaking fun.
    The negative? Well, I don't know if you've heard by now, but it's pretty much a AAA run based metroidvania. And you can't save during a run. And a run can take basically between 45 minutes and 2 hours. And the game flat out tells you your only option is to use the PS5's rest mode. One, I have trust issues with the PS5's rest mode (although hopefully the last firmware update fixed some of that), and two, my almost-six year old almost always wakes up before me, can turn on the PS5, and will start a different game that will pretty much wipe out my current run........ So yeah, I think it's going to take some time to get through this one.

7. MFB

MFB Banned

Got to play the RE8 demo FINALLY, it's definitely a continuation of 7s style which I'm not super crazy about, but the aesthetic of it is fucking slick. The controls feel good, and the RE engine looks beautiful, but something about them trying to do a realistic first person game where you literally cross your arms to 'guard' against a werewolf attack (successfully too) just breaks the suspension of disbelief. I'll wait until it's on greatest hits before I pull the trigger on it, if at all.

8. wankerness

Roguelike with absolutely no save mechanic, not even a Dark Souls-style "autosave every few seconds so if you die or do something else stupid you're completely unable to exit out of the game and reload" or "save and quit anywhere" system, combined with runs that can take upwards of two hours and game code that occasionally causes crashes? How do I sign up to NEVER play this game?!?! Haha.

9. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I started up some Wind Waker a while back and have been picking at it slowly - but I've reached a point where I now have to do a bunch of tedious searching for triforce pieces and I very much think this part is going to the least fun part of the experience.

10. MFB

MFB Banned

Started playing Subnautica over the weekend, that game has ZERO tutorial, it's more like the start of race where someone fired off a gun and said "Play!"

I really have no clue if there becomes a point to it, but for now it's nice to turn on and just swim around a bit?

SpaceDock likes this.
  11. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

The Wii U version made this significantly less tedious, but yeah that bit sucks.

TedEH likes this.
  12. Ralyks

See, I haven't experienced a single crash. The game has played flawless for me. And despite those complaints, the gameplay is fun enough that I keep going back. Plus, dying is actually essential to progress the story.

But alas, Resident Evil Village on Friday, and Nier and Judgement PS5 lurking in the background.

13. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

So, going thru Armored Core For Answer, done the good story path, the F everything one and doing the F off one (that what they feels like). I'm stuck at that mission where you have to beat all 4 of the ORCA NEXTs and men... I cannot beat more than 3 of them. That's not possible. 2 of them have attack that deal over 10K of damage where i only have 40K of life.
    If you haven't played it, imagine the four kings in DS, but 4 of them at the same time. Other than that, pretty good game, having lot of fun playing it.
    Also, i have tried the next one, Armored core V and it suffers the traditional PS3 curse, Where simple, nice game lead to "sequels" that are much better looking, but also added complicated mechanics that are making the game unnecessarily long, boring and just not fun at all...

Also also, Subnautica is nice but the progression is very linear and replay value is close to zero.

BlackMastodon likes this.
  14. wankerness

How many hours have you played it? I don't get the impression these crashes are COMMON, but that they do happen, and when you can get 2 hours of progress wiped out by it, that's a problem. Also lots of people complaining that they put it in suspend mode and the app updated overnight, or they absentmindedly clicked on another game and it automatically closed it and wiped them out, or they have a kid in the house who also uses the system, etc. It's just a horrible design. They should definitely copy that constant-autosave Dark Souls style thing. It's not reasonable for a game to disrespect your time that flagrantly. Practically every roguelike has some kind of save and quit option.

Speaking of games disrespecting your time, I'm getting very tired of Persona 5 Royal in this coda section. Like, there were a good 3-4 hours of mostly non-interactive gameplay with dreary music and characters acting like space cases and every day requiring you to have practically the same conversation with each teammate in a row. And then combine that with stretches with an hour's worth of cutscenes and forced events in a row that sometimes don't give you a save point in between any of them! But at least if the game crashes or you force quit in the middle, next time you can just skip them all with the options button.

Ah well. I'm really looking forward to being done with it. Two more trophies left before the platinum! (both plot-related, it looks like). Then it's back to Nier.

15. wankerness

From what others told me on here after I asked, it DOES have a point and has some radical revelations. And looking up a guide spoils the experience. I guess you have to start going really deep underwater to start encountering this stuff. I only played it for a few hours before moving on to something else, but I'll probably give it another go. It seems to naturally lead you to start constructing an underwater lab, but it was frustrating to me that it gives you absolutely no guidance as to WHERE you should be building things.

16. Ralyks

Looks like I've put 6 hours into Returnal so far (I appreciate the PS5 itself telling me how many hours I've put into a game), and all smooth sailing. Actually, probably the best running game I've played on my PS5 outside of Yakuza (and that was 64 hours of time with not even a hiccup).

17. wankerness

6 hours isn't very long to proclaim something crash-free. There have been several games I've had crash once every 10 hours or so. Ex, Assassin's Creed games tend to crash occasionally, I had a couple in Soulsborne games (probably about one per full playthrough), a couple in the average Yakuza game, etc. There are very few games I've played all the way through that haven't crashed a single time. Persona 5 and naughty dog ones being the only that come to mind immediately apart from some very low sys-requirement stuff like Transistor or whatever.

18. NotDonVito

NotDonVito molesta la breastas

Played through Mario 3D World full completion, but decided to take a break before going into the Bowser's Fury game and bought a blast from the past, Jedi Knight 2.

Holy fuck what a waste of $5, bad controls, bad level design, instantly deleted it. Then I remembered the only way I had fun with that game back in the day was using the cheat codes, which I think they disabled in the port I'm playing. Poo.

19. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Nihon Falcom just threw an 80% off sale. Time to cave in. :lol:

20. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Man I miss the Armored Core games, particularly 4 and For Answer. When I looked up V and saw they went back to slower paced combat I wasn't interested. I was playing the series since AC2 on PS2 so changing from the old slow gameplay to what they did with AC4 on Xbox 360 was a huuuuge difference and improvement to me.

My first time playing it I didn't even realize there were multiple paths/endings, so when I did find out I started going through them and did some of the f*** everyone endings (as you put it perfectly :lol:). And then I also got to the point where you need to fight 4 NEXTs at once and couldn't do it for the life of me. If it weren't for the horrible load times on the 360 I might've kept trying to do it but I think I spent more time loading then actually playing that mission.

I really hope From Software doesn't forget about the AC series and brings back the same gameplay as AC4. I get that the Soulsbourne games have been a huge success and they are probably focusing more on those but damnit I want mecha combat!

dr_game0ver likes this.