What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Yelir

Yelir SS.org Regular

Do you mean fun to get into as in making the software or just playing as an end user? I know the NES/SNES/GENESIS scene is thriving, an unexpected popular outlet is Game Boy titles as well. There was a game development comp about 6 months ago held to make N64 games. I think the next few years for homebrew will be really exciting.

If you have other questions about gaming stuff I usually delve into all imported games and hardware. There is tons of schlock released (especially for licensed tv/films) but always lots of decent stuff.

2. Carrion Rocket

Carrion Rocket Registered Lurker

Went to find a PS5 after work. Came home empty handed. One sales rep acted like I insulted his family by even inquiring about one.

So I'm just playing through my current backlog. Got NHL 2K10 in the system now. I keep looking on ebay and amazon for games I skipped over and alot of stuff is either priced out of any consideration or was just shovelware. And I'm getting to the point that I'm considering buying Assassin's Creed games. I played an hour of III and about an hour of IV and never returned to either. Neither hooked me.

One game in hindsight I wish I didn't skipout on is Asura's Wrath. The priced on the used market is insane, and I can't get it digitally on the PS3, but I can get it on the xbox marketplace for $20. If anything it'll give me an excuse to turn my 360 on for the first time in about two years.

3. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I meant more as an end user - I've poked around with the Genesis one or twice, but not exactly looking to start another project right now that I'll likely never finish.

4. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I'm surprised by the hate for HZD's graphics. I sure thought i looked spectacular, but I guess I didn't spend time staring at the character models much cause I was just in a hurry to get back out in the world and kill robot dinosaurs. It also was my first game on the system, so I had lowered expectations. I might have to replay it and get the platinum (I was only missing the stupid timed trial areas, I could never get the one where you had to make logs roll on the enemies to work right).

I played the game through on hardest difficulty for playthrough 2 and never felt very challenged until the DLC area. I am guessing the early game on playthrough 1 would be pretty raunchy on hard, though, since you don't already have all your abilities.

Anyway, I'm still chipping away at Persona 5 Royal (60 hours in, on the spaceport). As I first played it a few years ago, I'm having a hard time remembering what was and wasn't in the base game. There's clearly a whole new town that figures prominently, and there's clearly a new confidant/girlfriend gymnast chick, but I can't remember if Akechi was a confidant in the original, I can't remember if the councillor guy was in the original, I feel like the cat was vastly more annoying with telling you you couldn't go out, etc. I will read a comparison once I'm finished.

This is quite a good game, but the occasional long stretches where you can't do anything except watch cutscenes can be utterly infuriating. Seems to happen less in this version, at least, but wow, that stretch from the Hawaii trip on for the next ten days or so really sucks. Or when you get a week where you can't leave your room and can only craft stuff, but you run out of materials after the first day and can't go down the street to buy more. Oh well.

I need to actually play Persona 4. I started it shortly after finishing Persona 5, but was burned out on Persona at the time and thus didn't get very far. Right after finishing this probably won't be a good time, either. I think I might finally play MGS2/3 since I have them on 360.

5. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I kinda wonder if HZD is a bit of a victim of too much hype. I see it praised as "the best open world game, seriously guys" and things like that. So if you're expecting THE BEST GAME EVER and it falls short, then ok sure. It has flaws and it has jank. But it's not a bad game by any stretch. It's not using the most advanced visuals I've ever seen, but the art direction is mostly on-point. It's not the smoothest animation I've ever seen, but it's easily passable. The voice acting isn't going to win any awards, but there's nothing egregiously bad about it given how ridiculous some voice acting in games can be. IMO the biggest point against it so far, for me, has been the open world itself - but that's mostly because I think open worlds don't "click" for me very easily. I'm an old dude who likes simple linear games and doesn't have time to "make my own narrative" and remember why I was in some part of the map in the first place after being distracted by 8 different quests going on at the same time - so while I really enjoy the world building, it worries me that games like this will sort of devolve into waypoint hunting.

6. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

My biggest complaint about the graphics is that I can't ever seen anything. The game's lighting is a bit weird so that at night I can't see anything and when it's day time everything is the same colour. I'm using a 4k hdr TV fwiw, and have tried all the visual settings.

It's just a lot of work to know what's going on any of the time. Just did my first Cauldron and it's so frustrating not being able to see what I'm hiding from or what I'm supposed to be looking at.

I don't really know how I feel about this game so far, I just know it's hard to look at.

7. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Yeah I can kinda see that - despite the world looking very good, it would be fair to say the visuals are so busy that it's hard to pick out important details. A lot of times I'm finding myself relying on sound and the focus thingie to tell if anything is around, and often not noticing until it's too late. Half the time I know someone's around because the little yellow awareness circle pops up.

I did just do the first bandit camp mission and I think that's been one of the more fun self-contained bits. Enter area, scope things out, plan a bit, execute the plan, feel like a badass, leave.

StevenC likes this.
  8. wankerness

I'm really not understanding all these problems you guys are having. I don't remember having any issues with how the game looked. Then again, I didn't play it on a 4K TV, and a lot of games, when run in HDR mode, turn into a real morass without a lot of tweaking of TV settings. Though I guess you can't even do that without a PS4 pro and I know Ted doesn't have one.

9. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I set the TV up to run well with Death Stranding and F1 because that's all I play on PS4 (it's my brother's, mainly for anime fighters). They look fine and I don't have the same issues.

Like if I'm in some area with boar, I'll use Focus to see if anything is nearby and a bunch of stuff I can't see appears, then I'll mark the boar and jump around a bit to see if it's in front of me or on the other side of a hill I can't see because it all blends together. Then I need to get two headshots on a thing I can't see. This is all assuming it's not in any tall grass or other tall not grass shrubbery.

The snow areas aren't as bad because at least there's a contrasting background from some angles, but even then robots can be indistinguishable from rocks or a cliff face. There's just no hope the rest of the time.

Another thing that's either the lighting or just bad art direction is that I never have any idea where I should be shooting on the robots, because I can't see the different parts because they all might as well be the same colour except in extreme cases like a Bellowback. I think videogamedunkey had a video about this at one point about how much more important knowing what you're doing is to immersion and enjoyment than gritty realism. When I see a giant red spot on a boss in a Mario game it doesn't break anything because this is a Mario game. But when HZD is telling me I need to shoot at things I can't see in-game and demonstrating on a well lit and highlighted motionless model, I just get frustrated.

And don't get me started on not telling me what any of the symbols mean.

I'm trying really hard to enjoy this game and was excited to play, but it just keeps getting in the way of itself.

10. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Which do I start first: NieR: Replicant Ver. way Too Many Fucking Numbers, or Judgement on PS5 (I only played a few hours in to the PS4 version)?

11. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I juuuuuust did that part now, and quite liked that section. Kinda gave me a Mass Effect vibe - particularly the vaults in Andromeda. I think I'm getting through it pretty slowly - I'm tending to try to knock down any side quests before I move on with the main ones, and I get the impression that different players might have a pretty different path through the game.

I have one screen that can do HDR, but I think it's the most basic form of HDR and it doesn't look good. Any game I've tried with it looked worse than with it off, so I leave it off.

In my case, I'm actually enjoying the game quite a bit. It's hitting that exploration-y action-y adventure-y itch pretty well. More than worth the $0 price I paid for it, if anything I think it's good enough to justify me getting a PS4 in the first place given cheap I got it. I'm critical, but that's 'cause I'm a picky asshole, not 'cause I think it's a bad game. But I can be critical while still finding things to enjoy in the game - I mean, I mostly enjoyed Mass Effect Andromeda and the Thief reboot, and those are both very flawed experiences. :lol:

gabito, BlackMastodon and StevenC like this.
  12. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Definitely one of the better games I've ever gotten for free. Beyond Good & Evil still takes that crown though.

I'm playing every quest as I get it, basically, so I think we're probably at the same place in the main missions at the minute.

I'm trying to judge the game by itself and not compare it too much with other games, but so far I'm not understanding the hype. Hopefully that changes soon and it clicks.

13. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

If I had to guess, I think the hype is basically just that it's a reasonably well implemented open-world, where the open world seems to serve a purpose and opens up as you go along, compared to a lot of titles where "open-world" has ended up meaning "boring objective marker collecting" with no real sense of exploration or progression. That, and the premise is a good hook: who doesn't want to hunt post-apocalyptic robot dinosaurs?

Take the comparison of the typical Ubisoft open-world game. I went through Watch_Dogs 2 a while back, and while it was decent, the open world didn't serve that same purpose. It was just a place to litter missions into at random. Maybe we've finally figured out how to make an open world compelling with titles like BotW and HZD, and it just clicks for some people.

gabito likes this.
  14. wankerness

Nier. It's good, or at least the 360 one was, especially if you were a big fan of Automata's story. I think Nier's story is a bit better, even if it also has some incredibly cringey stuff (mainly with Emil dialogue). The soundtrack's almost as good as Automata's, meaning it's a candidate for second best game soundtrack of all time. It takes several hours to get going, though. I look forward to replaying it at some point. Too bad it sounds like playthrough FIVE is the one I'm really interested in with the remake!

15. gabito

gabito SS.org Regular

What I liked about the game is mainly the story. I didn't care much about the characters, some are fine, but none is great. Graphics are cool, it looks very good to me. Fighting is OK I guess? Not my thing, but it can be very good once you get it. The world is great, everything's there for a reason. Facial animations are not bad, but often they don't match the dialog... that's a bit disconcerting. I find the face design somewhat into the uncanny valley. And the voice acting is sometimes natural, but I found it mostly Bethesda-like wooden / stilted. I think they definitely would benefit from better direction. It sounds really awkward to me: strange pauses, weird emphasis... I don't know, I'm not even a native english speaker and the delivery sounds really odd sometimes.

(I guess the next paragraph could be spoiler-y so beware...)

But the setting is fantastic. It's kind of a post apocalyptic Terminator / The Matrix thing "the machines will screw us up" but with deeper, more elaborated lore. It's nothing super original, but I love what they did with it.

Anyway, I overall loved the game, I didn't care much about its "imperfections" or things I didn't care or like. It's one of very few games I really liked from this past generation.

In other news, I got really bored or burned out with RDR2 and deleted it... game, save files, everything. Don't want to play that thing ever again. Not a bad game, but the main problem (to me) seems to be that games are sooooo long and filled with stuff to do sometimes that I end up drained and unwilling to keep playing.

16. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

There are [ spoiler ] tags you can use to hide stuff so that those of us still going through the game don't have anything important spoiled.

17. wankerness

HZD's biggest plot revelations are probably in the back quarter or so of the game. I think the build-up over time works well. I think the stuff with the villain characters in the modern world is less interesting than the backstory. And boy, did I not really enjoy Cedric Daniels' weird voice being given so much prominence. I'm not a big fan of that guy in general, though.

One thing that puts HZD above many of the other open world games out there is that the side quests are given a bit more effort than the vast majority you see in something like Dragon Age 3 or especially AC games. They usually try to at least have some kind of character stuff going on in them. It doesn't always WORK, but if you've played a bunch of open world action games you'll probably notice it's a step up. Nothing on par with The Witcher 3's bloody butcher sidequest obviously, but then again the Witcher 3 didn't even have anything else on par with that quest.

StevenC and gabito like this.
  18. wankerness

Persona 5 is a RIDICULOUS slog in some sections. I'd forgotten, it's been a few years! The death march of early October (after the Haru/Spaceport dungeon) is legitimately 2 hours of almost completely non-interactive gameplay. I am looking back more favorably on the extended cutscenes in Yakuza 8 now! I mean, I like the plot, but it's still a LOT.

I'm now 70 hours in and looks like only about 2/3 of the way through it, at best. Though I think that count's pretty inflated cause I'm pretty sure it counted being on the pause screen as time played!

I might have to go play something else to take a breather.

19. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

The only Persona game I've played is 3, and I remember that one feeling like a drag at times. The way the timeline thing works out, there's no fast way through the game. Sort of a back and forth between bland high school drama and grindy rpg dungeon crawling. I would guess 5 is kinda similar?

20. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

That's more or less every Persona game: a balancing act between life sim and JRPG gameplay loops. Though of course the series has evolved and improved in quality in every installment since. The high school segments have more variety in side activities and you've got interesting stylish dungeons as opposed to just crawling in one boring monotonous dungeon (but there's one in P5 too). If anything, I've always thought P5 was a best of compilation of all the Persona games before it.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    TedEH likes this.