What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. MFB

MFB Banned

That sounds more like the original RE7 demo, back when it was PT.

So apparently it's locked for another day, or some bullshit? Mine says next demo in 23 hours and 35 mins, and then you can play the trailer, but no demo.

Mathemagician likes this.
  2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I made it to the "end" of Celeste today. My opinion has not changed. Platforming is still good. The story is still not my cup of tea. I know there's more to the game after the first successful climb up the mountain, but I dislike the characters and world enough that I don't feel motivated to continue. So I call this one done, and move on.

Choop and Mathemagician like this.
  3. TheBlackBard

TheBlackBard SS.org Regular

Shadow Man: Remastered. Having a great time revisiting some nostalgia.

Hrot: As a self-proclaimed addict of the boomer shooter genre, this game scratches that itch.

4. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

what’s the difference with the remastered version? Did they actually redo the visuals? Do the controls feel good?

5. TheBlackBard

The controls feel better, but you may need to adjust the sensitivity on the sticks. They did update visuals, but not to the extent of being a remake. Some stuff that was lost in the original is back, such as cut content, and some areas have been rearranged. There is some polish, but more in the sake of making it more HD rather than a complete overall. I got it for 15 bucks and as a huge fan of the OG games, I'm very happy with my purchase.

wankerness likes this.
  6. wankerness

I never finished the first one and only have vague memories of creepy post apocalyptic deserts and pig men. I might have to pick it up one of these days. I’m glad it hasn’t been lost in the sands of time like most B-list N64/PSX games (legacy of Kain soul reaver, Turok 2 remasters please?!)

7. TheBlackBard

Interestingly, Soul Reaver was taken off of Steam for sale so Square Enix could do some fixes on it, and Nightdive tweeted, asking if they could have a hand in it. And Turok 2 has SOMETHING of a remaster. It's just a little bit of polish.

wankerness likes this.
  8. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

PT was the demo for a cancelled Silent Hill game, not RE7.

9. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Bought and installed this game while finishing off Yakuza Like A Dragon Quest VII Fragments of the Forgotten Past. Got way too grindy so I just up finished the story. I liked the legacy boss battles but even they started getting old when they took too long, even with high level characters. Or perhaps because I played it like FFV needing to level up all the jobs to some satisfaction. Still, the ending payoff was excellent and Kasuga Itchybum is a fantastic protagonist. It'll be interesting where his adventures go into the future.

Though I shouldn't complain about grind since the SaGa games are grindier than my co-producer's coffee routine every morning. But I heard there's some nice QOL upgrades that help streamline the multi protagonist free scenario game.

EDIT: Square Enix also announced a Legend Of Mana Remaster. I guess they're taking my money again. :lol:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    Mathemagician likes this.
  10. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Played the RE Village demo. It is very much a sequel to RE7 with newer technology. But I'm hoping they were hinting at Ethan's mental state playing a more important part of the story.

11. wankerness

After huge backlash, Sony's PS3/Vita servers have been granted a stay of execution indefinitely. Great! Now maybe someday I'll eventually find a working used PS3 so I can play the copy of MGS4 I've had on my account for years from PS+. :p

Werecow likes this.
  12. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

Horizon zero dawn is free now. What’s the verdict? I like third person action games but dislike aimlessly wandering around open worlds or at least having to spend an inordinate amount of time going from one objective to another. I’m seeing there might be a good bit of that. Also just how much crafting and inventory time do you have to spend?

13. MFB

MFB Banned

Fairly early on in HZD, you'll be so over-run with resources that you don't really have to pay much attention to it; just craft as many arrows/traps/etc as you can carry, and feel free to drop as much as you want to free up space since you'll refill it just as quick. For me, as an open world game, it was an 8/10 - I'm pretty 'over' the open world type games, but it had such a unique setting to it and great gameplay that I couldn't help but want to play it.

TheShreddinHand likes this.
  14. wankerness

HZD is the best open world action game IMO. I dunno what your problem is, exactly - you want to be able to fast-travel everywhere? If so, its system for that is pretty robust. But, the world and combat are enjoyable enough I didn't use it constantly, unlike many other games. The world is beautiful, the enemies are actually fun to fight and varied, and you can get a mount that speeds things up. But, you run very fast by default and you can fast travel if the distance is more than you want to run.

Crafting? It's sort of like the far cry games where you get some inventory upgrades and stuff by killing random small animals for skins, and then also get ammo/potion materials from plants. It's VERY fast, you can even craft it while in combat without pausing. But, you do need to make sure you're hitting the button to harvest all the trees you run past so you don't eventually run out of arrows. It was not a frequent problem for me, that's for sure. I spent a ton of time running around in the world, but I only remember truly running out of ammo on one boss, and that was in the DLC.

I think it's a combo of the best stuff from the Ubisoft games and the last Tomb Raider games. The combat is easily the best of any third-person action RPG in a similar style (kind of a combo of the arrows from Tomb Raider, the traps and gadgets from Far Cry, the movement of the later AC games minus all the getting stuck climbing on buildings and short ledges).

15. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I downloaded it last night too, and I definitely plan on giving it a shot at some point. Maybe soon, but maybe not, who knows.

I started playing a bit of the newer Hitman since EGS gave it away free a while back. I haven't played a lot of Hitman games, but so far I like what they've done with it, at least compared with something like Absolution.

I had also picked up a really cheap copy of Wind Waker, so I've been kinda slowly poking at those two when I have time.

16. MFB

MFB Banned

Even over Ghosts of Tsushima?

17. wankerness

Yes. I liked the plot and weird setting more than Ghost of Tsushima, and I GREATLY prefer the fast and furious bow and arrow/heavy sling action over anything else I've ever played. It feels better to me than gun combat ala Uncharted or Gears of War, and I tend to just prefer ranged combat to melee combat. I kinda like the drawing of the bow and then instant release once it's lined up over gun combat where the bullet shoots as soon as you press the button, where I tend to spray around and miss more often.

Plus, fighting gigantic robot alligators, birds, dinosaurs, worms, and big cats is a lot more entertaining than variants on generic ninja guys.

Ghost of Tsushima has better graphics and the melee combat system puts that in a game like an AC game to shame. It's also fast and furious and once you've learned all the stances, very fun/satisfying. I'd say that game is the second best open-world game I've played.

I'm not saying Ghost of Tsushima had bad characters or anything, it's just kinda dull in that department. HZD's whole scifi setting is pretty compelling, especially once you start getting late into the game and finding out exactly what went down - especially when you get to the old world base. A lot of the most compelling drama is in audio logs, which is normally not something I appreciate, but really worked here IMO, at least on par with the original Bioshock. The characters are not on par with something by Naughty Dog or anything, but I'd still rate the story WAY higher than any other open world actioner.

18. Carrion Rocket

Carrion Rocket Registered Lurker

Got a PS3 Slim on the way as well as a new 2TB drive for it (that I'm hoping works with it). Even with the 1TB I currently have in my super slim there's not a lot of room for the stuff I still haven't downloaded. I've got a bunch of Vita games from PS+ that I just never downloaded cause I never owned one, but I'll be damned if I let them sit in limbo in the off chance they just don't shut down all access to the service on legacy platforms. Plus, I've priced a couple games that a significantly cheaper to buy digitally now than physically (Yakuza: Dead Souls for example) and are huge download files.

19. wankerness

I think I'm going to borrow my brother's old PS3 (busted disc drive) and download the couple games I want to try and call it a day. So far, I'm only thinking MGS4. Is Yakuza: Dead Souls actually any good?

I have a PSTV already - I got Persona 4 a while ago, but that's all I've used it for. Not sure if there's any other Vita stuff I actually want to play. Probably not.

20. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I started up that free Horizon copy yesterday and first impression is that it feels like Open World Tomb Raider. Something you could potentially pour a lot of hours into. Art direction feels solid. World building seems solid so far. Sometimes the audio seems a little odd to me, but that's something I'm nitpicky about. I occasionally can't figure out where you can or can't climb things (it lacks the Tomb-Raider-esque white paint / scratches on every navigable surface).

Seems like something I could get into. But I also don't want to forget the other two games I started.