What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I think the urge to complete most games rather than just try them is a pretty recent thing for me. I don't feel too bad about games that I've given at least some attention to, especially if it was cheap. I tend to compare it to movie tickets in terms of value: if I spent $10 on something, I should get at least an hour of entertainment from it. It's not a good comparison, but it's better than nothing.

2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Considering movies on disc are generally 10-30 dollars for 2 hours and albums are 10-15 for 1 hour, I find games to be a ridiculous value for money.

I also generally feel like if I don't at least beat a game I haven't really played it. It's very rare that I start something and don't finish it, unless I didn't like it.

3. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Dunno if I posted it earlier but downloaded “Steep” a PSN snowboarding game. It’s basically an X-games free play open world. There’s snowboarding, skiing, wing suits, etc. the controls are “ok” and while it feels amazing to gain speed and really nail a jump the physics are very focused on realism so a flip or two and that’s it in the way of tricks (if you’re a newb at the game like me). It’s really kind of like Need For Speed in that you go through a map at your pace and there’s some story content too but whatever you can just explore for 2 hours off in one direction.

I like it as a game to chill out to, doubt I’ll ever “beat” it.

4. Choop

Choop n______n

The Binding of Isaac: Repentance has been released as of a few days ago. It's pretty tough! I haven't read any official rundowns of it yet, but the game feels a little bit sped up, or at least the enemies do. Dodges are harder, and there are a few other changes that make it tougher as well (like the price of items in the devil room, more varied shop inventories, etc). Overall digging it -- will chip away at it for the next however long haha.

5. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Fired up DS3 for the first time, and dude... I expected stuff to be improved from DS1, but this is a whole other level. It doesn't look that much better in still shots compared to the remastered version of DS1, but it's just so much more responsive. Especially the combat - DS1 feels like a turn based rpg compared to this. I especially appreciate the fact that I can move while drinking estus now, that would've saved me hundreds of times in DS1 :lol:

The game does look a bit choppy though, but that's probably thanks to the og base model Xbox One I'm playing it on. So the framerate is a tad low. It doesn't seem to fluctuate though, so I guess it'll be fine. DS1 ran smooth most of the time, but on certain bosses it would drop super low and become very unresponsive at critical moments, so I definitely hope that doesn't happen here...

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  6. wankerness

I played all the way through DS1 and DS2 immediately before starting it, and initially felt absolutely assaulted by the monsters since they attack SO much faster (but your character is also so much more responsive). As a result, I thought the beginning of DS3 was harder than anything in DS1/DS2. After adjusting to the speed, I sort of get why it's widely considered the easiest of the three. The environmental hazards aren't nearly as awful as things like the Anor Londo rafters in DS1, or the pitch darkness of the tomb of giants. But man, there are still some rough parts. Just wait for the return of some very familiar hated enemies from DS1 about halfway through the game!! And the bosses are much more in-depth than the ones in DS1/2 where they usually had one phase and the strategy was usually just circle around them and poke them. Not that that strategy won't still work on many bosses in DS3 with enough gear/stats.

Did you get the game of the year edition, or whatever they call the version with the DLC? The DLC is really impressive. The big three setpiece bosses are a hell of a lot harder than anything in the base game. They also don't have anything as insanely frustrating as the optional areas in DS2.

Yeah, the moving while drinking estus is a huge QOL improvement. The mana-estus is even bigger, IMO. I found spells completely unusable in DS1 cause you needed like 10 slots full of spells to have a chance of making it between longer bonfires without running out, and DS2 at least had the consumable items to recharge them between bonfires, but DS3? You don't feel like a second-class citizen anymore! For most of my playthrough I had heal equipped, enough attunement to cast it like 3 times, and one mana estus. It greatly increased the amount of time I could go between having to rest at a bonfire.

I am not a framerate zealot, but I know DS3 ran over 30 fps on ps4 pro. I don't think it was the 60 fps of DS1/2, but, it was definitely a higher framerate than Bloodborne. Not sure how it performs on a base system. A quick google suggests it's locked at 30 FPS on PS4 regular. Probably the same on xbox.

7. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

They made DS3 after Bloodborne and it shows.

Choop likes this.
  8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

anyone complaining about framerate on the DS series should try them on PC. DS2 and 3 ran like butter on my computer. DS1 (with some mods) ran alright, but you still get the dreaded blighttown slowdown and such. Going back and playing DS1/2 on xbox was painful comparatively.

9. wankerness

Really? They're that non-optimized on xbox? Ds1/2 never went under 60 fps in my experience on console. Then again, I was on PS4 Pro.

I still haven't booted up DS3 on PC. I have my doubts that it would run better than on PS4 given my graphics card is a few years old and wasn't a top-of-the-line model then. I had no issue with its performance on PS4 Pro (further research suggests it's unlocked and fluctuates between 40 and 50 fps).

10. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

yeah on X360 DS 1/2 were pretty terrible in spots framerate wise. I have a GTX 1080 (which is still a pretty beastly card for 1080p gaming) and had a 770 previous to that. Even with the old 770 they ran better on PC ime.
    DS3 runs like butter on my PC. That one is easily the most optimized imo.

11. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Nope, I got the normal version. There was the deluxe edition for roughly +10€, but as far as I understood it would've just given a discount on the DLC's, so I figured I'll just wait for the DLC's to go on sales of their own while playing the base game (DLC's are on sale on the xbox store all the time).

Yeah, it feels like it's not even quite 30fps on the base Xbox One. Like I said, it's absolutely not unplayable, but after DS1 it feels a little choppy. Just a little though.

Yeah, damn, I absolutely hated those areas. Anal Londo itself wasn't that bad, apart from the Silver Knight archers at one point (you know which part I mean :lol:), but the tomb of giants just... sucked throughout. On the NG+ I managed to take the shortest possible route through it though, so I spent maybe 1/10 of the time compared to NG there. Also the crystal cave and dukes archives... Annoying AF. The Archives are sort of cool, but fighting the hordes of crystal enemies for hours only to get shot to death by an archer and having to do the whole thing again was just a huge pain the ass.

And regarding the speed, yup, I almost got my ass handed to me on the first enemies in DS3, but then quickly realized I'm also a lot faster now and can just input many attacks quickly in a row. Whereas in DS1 you'd have to press attack and wait until it actually happens, and only then attack again or you might get caught with many attacks "lined up" and can't for example heal or dodge before all the attacks are done.
    By the time I got to the first boss in DS3 I was basically already used to it. That first boss was already pretty cool by the way, just like you described, with multiple phases and all that. It was very satisfying to beat him!

Yeah well, thankfully I'm not running xbox360 anymore :lol: But on the Xbox One, DS1 mostly ran "like butter" with the exception of a few bosses and enemies that used certain effects (the purple fog-like stuff always seemed to slow it down). DS3, not so much. There's no problem playing it, but it just doesn't look as smooth. Oh well, I guess it'll look nice once I upgrade to Series S/X... Whenever that happens. The good part with that is that all the same games and even controllers should work directly, so in that sense the investment wouldn't be that bad.
    As for PC, my setup is basically from the stone age and I don't even have a dedicated GPU, so nah, not even gonna try that :lol:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  12. gabito

gabito SS.org Regular

I'm currently replaying RDR II.

I didn't love it the first time in 2018 or so, but I think I'm liking the experience more this time.

Controls are still shit, though. Having to read what the buttons do for every task, having to keep the buttons pressed for several seconds (but different amounts of time for different tasks...), or having to do a Mortal Kombat fatality equivalent to do some things... that's just bad UI.

Anyways, the rest is cool.

I think R* should decide if they want to go full ARPG-like with their games (as Ubisoft did in the recent Assassin's Creed games), because they have a bunch of RPG-like mechanics there but they serve mostly no purpose. They are just there... you can almost have conversations, you can almost decide what to do in certain situations, you have something like a progression tree for some things... but not quite. You can play the whole game with your base revolver and horse and nothing would change. You can starve and sleep deprive Arthur forever and just play the game as if nothing happened. Same for clothing, etc.

But yeah, the game is nice.

13. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

That's kinda how I've felt about the GTA series since San Andreas (yup, also R*). They toned it down a bit after SA, but there's still a lot of stuff you can do that doesn't really affect anything. I guess they can't really go any further into ARPG territory though, or they'll loose many of the more casual gamers. I guess the games could, in theory, have a toggle (that's off by default) to make the RPG-stuff mandatory and actually affect stuff, but that'd be a bitch from a development standpoint. Also removing all that stuff would remove some of the depth, I guess. That said, I'd happily play a spaghetti western style ARPG. Or a modern/realistic themed one like GTA.

... In other news: I checked out the Xbox spring sale again... And I noticed a new Battletoads-game was released last year! And it's on sale for 5€... So I just couldn't resist the urge and bought it for nostalgia's sake. I guess I have to configure my router to block the xbox store all together or something :lol:

gabito likes this.
  14. wankerness

Ah. I thought we were all talking about Xbox One. Yeah, I'm familiar with Xbox 360's woes in blighttown. I really don't like Xbox's naming schemes, makes things annoying to talk about.

I have dark souls for 360, bought it back when it was relatively new, died a few times at the beginning, and never touched it again. I'm slightly curious to try playing it on that system just to see what the original experience was like for most. But, probably not worth the pain.

15. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

I was talking Xbox One all along, but someone else sidetracked to the 360.
    I have basically the same experience of DS1 on the 360, I didn't have the patience to learn to fight properly so I gave up real quick. I managed to run all the way to Sif once, and I recall basically shitting my pants when I got there :lol: I don't recall it being different from the Remastered version, but afaik the difference would be obvious now if I were to compare. I had the "Prepare to die edition" or whatever it was called, which I guess just included the DLC and latest patch...

But now I'm playing DS3. Got to the first "real" boss today... And it was dissapointingly easy! The normal enemies so far have been more difficult, and also I'm still wearing the base gear apart from my sword and bow.

16. wankerness

DS3 has a gradual difficulty curve boss-wise, while DS1’s was all over the place. I think, as with DS2 and to some extent 1, the trash tends to be harder than the bosses. But, I think the first boss I got killed repeatedly by was the crystal sage, and a few later ones were considerably nastier.

17. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Yeah, seems so. And it's good thing of course - DS1 turned me away at first because of the steep learning curve, this one feels a bit more forgiving.
    The normal enemies are really easy one on one, but they gang up and that's when it gets harder. As a result I've been using lots of firebombs to kill many enemies at once. The game is very generous with those too, at some point I had like 40 of them at hand (whereas in DS1 I found maybe 5 during the whole game).

There's also been a few normal enemies that I have a hard time beating 1 on 1, for example quite early on, after passing the dragon at the great wall place (very awesome environment by the way, very Game of Thrones or LoTR feeling place) there was this knight who just won't let me get behind him and just wears my stamina out and then kills me, so instead I lured him into the dragon's flame. I was very surprised about how little damage the flame did to me though - I was expecting immediate death like on the DS1 red dragon, but instead I took maybe 40% damage without my shield up and only like 5% with it.

The new estus system is great by the way - not just the fact that there is a separate mana flask, but being allowed to choose the ratio is great! For example I don't have any spells (yet), so I assigned all to healing for now.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  18. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Not so much a game being played but I received the last part I needed and managed to finish the repair on the PS4 I got a while back. It's now reading disks again, so I'm not constrained to digital only. Just a nice feeling to get it running, even if I have no games for it. Maybe the repair was the game the whole time.

BlackMastodon and Choop like this.
  19. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

Speaking of DS3, the Cinders mod is a must try if you have the game on PC. So many changes... new bosses, items, weapons, armors, npc invasions, etc. And spawning a mimic to fight mimics for you is quite pleasing...

[​IMG]

wankerness likes this.
  20. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

So after spending a few hours grinding a bit in chapter 12 of Yakuza (seriously, how much can you enhance Ichis legendary bat?!), I finally finished, and goddamn if that chapter was one of my favorite things in gaming in recent memory (And I had the biggest grin on my face at THAT moment). My party is in the mid-late 50s and their jobs around level 25 or so and I maxed everyone's bond link except Eri (I haven't done management in a while). I find myself almost always using a party of Saeko, Joon-gi, and Zhao, and I'll swap in Nanba with either Saeko or Zhao (Joon-gi never leaves my party). Sound about where I should be at chapter 13?