What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. MFB

MFB Banned

I mean, it worked for Havel, so...

2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Gear loads in DS1 are kind of ridiculous. In DS2/3 it's 70% before you fatroll. 50% seems VERY low. On the other hand, poise is way more overpowered so it's easier to make a character that just doesn't NEED to roll.

3. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

It feels a little unfinished in terms of balancing - it got significantly easier after Artorias. Also Manus was surprisingly easy, took only 3 attempts to kill. Took a bit of a different strategy though, my shield was basically useless so I just put it away and hacked him and used a lot of estus.
    Now I've got the dragon left to kill - I got the archer giant guy to shoot it down, but didn't kill it yet because I want to cut the tail, which proved to be pretty damned hard :lol:
    I almost defeated it yesterday but then ended up running out of estus circling around for the tail...

Yeah, my character's basically like that. I tried to use lighter armor but I feel like I become too fragile if I do it - I'm just too bad at the game to only survive one hit.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  4. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Anyone playing the early access of Baldur's Gate 3?

5. wankerness

Damn, Yakuza 7 even copied the metal slimes from Dragon Quest in the form of "Invested Vagabonds," annoying enemies that run away quickly and only take one damage from all attacks that don't crit. Unfortunately my team had zero spammy attacks when I encountered them and was only able to kill one, who inexplicably didn't run for about 20 turns. Got ~67k job experience from that one guy compared to the normal ~400 per battle with ~5 enemies. It seems to be the only way to reasonably level up new jobs. God, this game is horrific with the grinding. I think I'm just going to wait till I unlock the overpowered characters in the chapter 10-12 area and then go farm those vagabonds for a while, since as with DQXI, that's really the only way to level that's even remotely time-efficient.

Some of the boss battles have been a nightmare, mainly the two fights against the giant robot vacuum. The first go was the level 40 version, who took over 20 minutes to kill since his defense was SO high and I had no electro attacks. The second go was the quest version, a mere level 25, who only took 10 minutes of attacking his body over and over for almost no damage vs his gigantic health pool. It's completely impractical in midgame to have more than one job cause of the aforementioned unbelievable grind (several hours) required to get even a second job up to the level your stats won't be very negatively impacted by the switch, so these enemies that are only weak to specific odd jobs/abilities are really a pain.

This game is making me like it less the more that I play it! If you stick to the story, it's great. If you go out trying to do sidequest stuff and dungeons before endgame, things can get ugly. I spent a full hour running around in circles catching bugs to get the materials to make a better microphone. Ack!

6. wankerness

I've heard Manus is by far the hardest boss in NG+. I didn't do the DLC on NG+ since I was just trying to burn through for the third Sif kill for the platinum, but I believe it based on how radically different a bunch of the regular game bosses felt in NG+. You actually had to pay attention to mechanics!

7. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

I bought it on release and it's taking all of my willpower to not play it before full release :lol:, but i'm managing it. I've heard great things about it though.

I'd highly recommend holding off till full release. I did the same thing for D: OS2. They're still adding in and adding to cutscenes that affect the story, in addition to extra classes and gameplay elements.

I find it frustrating effectively playing a demo that contains just the first episode of a game. So i wait until i can do the full story in my first sitting. I guess if you want pure gameplay there's a lot of fun to be had even now. But be warned, some of their updates are breaking previous save games (they're upfront about that).

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  8. BlackMastodon

I got D:OS2 last year and played maybe 10 hours before it just felt overwhelmingly tedious. I felt like I was playing 1 player D&D and I wasn't digging it. Plus I got wrecked in a pretty early fight. Might start over with a new class.

9. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

Yeh there's a steep learning curve to it. It can almost seem impossible at first. It became one of my favourite games ever only after persisting with it. I didn't think i'd finish the game in normal difficulty at first, but now i've even completed it in honor mode (top difficulty with perma-death).

It needs a balanced party. My norm is a fighter (one handed with shield), ranger (crossbow), rogue (two handed daggers and full points in thievery), caster with full level in one element, and a spread in others. I also have the fighter do some magic in a different element to my main caster.
    I have at least two party members with a point in summoning, because there's a couple of level 1 spells that help massively.
    There are a lot of hidden synergies you can have between skills and abilities, both in a single character and spread across the party. It can be quite intricate when you get in to it.

Another thing to remember is that they don't have enemy levelling in their games. If you're really out-levelled you've gone in the wrong direction in the map usually, or missed something. Other than that, having your party spread in tactical positions for the start of combat really helps

Baldur's has D&D 5 rules i think, so it'll be very different.

BlackMastodon likes this.
  10. BlackMastodon

That's actually super helpful. If I remember correctly you can also switch characters with your "main" so I could realistically drop in the lizardfolk dude who's my fighter as a main and not go through the entire intro of the game again. The guy I rolled is a summoner class but I'll give your suggestions a try. With perm-death and dismissing characters,ddo you have more chances in the game to find new party members?

The only D&D I've played has been 5e and I enjoy it so I'm looking forward to BG3. Planned on waiting til it released fully anyway but curious if anyone's tried it out and what they thought.

11. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

The perma death mode in it means party death = game over + save deleted, but there is resurrection in the game (mainly scrolls), that of course also relies on one member managing to escape a fight. Obviously if the party members died in a hostile area it can be hard to resurrect them.
    There is a general on your ship where you can aquire "faceless" party members, as in they have no backstory/quests etc. So you can always have a full party back, even to just recover the main character party members.
    It's not much of a spoiler, but there comes a time in the game where the story party members not currently in your party become unselecatable again (due to story events). So that's a good thing to remember if you're attached to someone and trying outlandish party combinations.
    There's a completely free re-spec item/function on your ship after the game gets fully going, so just remember that if you're keeping party members back for certain uses. You don't have to worry about swapping party members in to get through a tough spot.

BlackMastodon likes this.
  12. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Persona 5 Strikers. I'm having such nostalgic feels, it's like seeing a group of friends I haven't seen in forever (seeing how Persona 5 is my second favorite game ever).

Also, soooooo close to getting the Platinum trophy for Spider Man Miles Morales. Just in time for me to delete it and make hard drive space for Yakuza 7 next week.

13. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

the new update made me put on sf5 and have a tinker .I'm far from an expert in the game, was way more into sf4, but Ryu def seems strong again

Mathemagician likes this.
  14. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

More tarkov. And some Rocksmith/Fallen Order as a palate cleanser for when I inevitably ragequit tarkov.

15. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

just been playing Super Mario 3d world, i feel like with my very limited gaming time I just stick to Nintendo since imo they still do it best..though I do need to catch up on some PC stuff for sure

Mathemagician likes this.
  16. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

I'm all for the new Ryu buffs since he really needed them to be more vaible to the harder hitters. I was already happy with them making his low medium kick useable again, but all the extra stuff just turned him into an offensive powerhouse.

Really looking forward to maining him again

17. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

I'm enjoying Thief 2 so much that it's had me reflecting on the state of games the last few years and how little of them i'm interested in. I wish this genre and single player games in general were more popular.

I'll probably go on to Thief 3 next :lol: even though it never felt as good as the first two.

18. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

There's something unique about Looking Glass- and derivative stuff- that leaves me with a similar feeling. If you haven't played Prey, I'd recommend giving that a shot too at some point.

Werecow likes this.
  19. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Is Nash good yet? I didn’t play during seasons 1 & 2, and apparently he’s bad now? I thought his teleporting gimmicks while not being a charge character were cool. I need to start playing more, as they did make Chun Li feel really fun to play when I last tried it.

20. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

Man i gotta get back to my Thief 2 playthrough, think i'm on the bank level. Cool games for sure. Single player games these days really do seem to lack the charm of games from 10-20 years ago.

Werecow likes this.