What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

plodding along in Control. I know its the jaded old guy inside me talking but ,

Its a good game ., plays well apart from some slowdown but I just feel like I've played it a 100 times before. Still only a few hours in so it may mix it up , but gameplay wise it just isn't bringing anything new so far .just feels like a pallet swap of 1000 other games

Maybe there just isn't anything new left to bring to a shooter

gabito likes this.
  2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

If you feel like that, you're probably leaning too hard on the guns and not using the powers enough. Or you haven't unlocked/leveled them enough. By the end of the game throw does WAY more damage than anything other than like, a headshot from the sniper cannon (whatever it's called).

3. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

Maybe. To be fair i only realized end of last play session where and how to level up. So haven’t done much.

4. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Yeah, I had way more fun once I got more abilities. Throwing chunks of your environment around was a fun time.

Anyway, watching the credits to Miles Morales. Short, but excellent in the time I spent with it. Gonna get the Platinum out of the way so I can clear up the hard drive space on the PS5. Then back to 13 Sentinels.

5. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

As i predicted, i've moved straight on through to Thief 2 after replaying the first one.

TedEH likes this.
  6. Nicki

Nicki Twit

Well, I just completed all the achievements in the core game of RE7. Damn fine game. Looking forward to RE8 now.

Tried Greedfall and Bound by Flame.. Not for me. Too clunky and unpolished. I know people like the developer's games, but they don't feel like modern gameplay experiences to me. They feel more like early PS2 era action RPGs.

Going to give Sunset Overdrive a go and I've got Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order queued up to install on my Xbox.

ImNotAhab likes this.
  7. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

Balancing between Battlefield 4 and Oblivion.

8. MFB

MFB Banned

Still haven't bothered with finishing DS1 since my posts about the BoC, but hey, DS2 was on sale for $10 on PSN so I made sure to grab that for whenever I do finally finish it.

Also picked up Darksiders Remastered for $5, so that'll be a nice change of pace compared to what I've been playing.

9. gabito

gabito SS.org Regular

Finished ME3 for the third time a few weeks ago. This time with all the DLC. It was a looong game this way, but it was cool to play the full game for once. They shouldn't have cut part of the game to sell it as DLC.

Bad Bioware! Bad EA!

Tried to get into Dragon Age: Origins after that, but I uninstalled it after playing a few hours. It didn't click with me. Maybe I'll try it again later, but it felt too old-school-RPGish for me.

Then I tried Zone Of The Enders HD, played a few hours and... nah. Not for me. Only played it because Kojima's name was attached to it, but I'm not into that style of gameplay nor mega super ultra japanese stuff.

Lastly, I installed Far Cry: Blood Dragon. Only played a few hours, it looks really cool (even on my old PS3), the music is great, and I'm liking the general vibe of the game. Might finish it, even if I'm not very good at (or really like) FPS games.

BlackMastodon likes this.
  10. wankerness

The only DLC in mass effect 3 that was cut was that first bonus character guy (leviathan, maybe it was called?). The other stuff actually was produced much later.

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon was great, and it's only like 3 hours long. I hate that the Far Cry 3 remaster didn't include it. I might play it on PC again someday.

I've played a lot more Yakuza. I really don't like the management "minigame." It's about on par with the real estate in Yakuza 0 - aka, give me a hostess management minigame again!!! I've played it for a few hours and am at business ranking 57/200, or something. It's really not very fun, and you have to promote your guys so much to be able to reach the requirements for running businesses that have their production output upgraded that you barely make any profit. And actually running businesses is much like the real estate in yakuza - you just hit "start business!" and then wait for it to finish and see how much money you made. It's a LOT faster than that was, at least...you're not time-gated. It's just very grindy. And then the board meetings are pretty rough and don't really explain what the heck you're supposed to do. I failed three of them before I figured out how to "attack."

This game is REALLY grindy, I misjudged earlier. If you're trying to find the 10 enemies required for each enemy-kill quest for the "Poundmates" group, it can take in excess of 50 random battles to even get 10 of them to spawn, and you often won't level during all 50 of those battles cause the EXP from anything lower level than you is incredibly low. I've been playing ~30 hours and am only still level 22. Out of apparently 100, since the game has achievements for getting to levels 30 and 70!

11. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I need to finish Yakuza 1. Got it with PSN and it’s amazing but got distracted by life around 70% through. Oh well going to just walk back into it after a year and a half and just mash my way through to the end. It was a really fun story and I need to see how it ends. Also Majima is a hero.

12. gabito

gabito SS.org Regular

I think you mean From Ashes. That's where you get the prothean guy, Javik.

That and Leviathan (that's the one were you get to talk to the giant squids responsible for all the galactic mess) aren't very long and seem to be cut from the game. I don't know the specifics, though.

Omega on the other hand is kind of long, and has almost nothing to do with the main story, so yeah, it probably is just your regular DLC. Same for Citadel, which was fun to play.

Javik is a great character, I took him on almost every mission. Besides being powerful, his comments were insightful and funny.

13. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Whilst installing Yakuza 7, I spent a few minutes on Bloodstained's Classic Mode. Pretty much old school NES Castlevania with the Bloodstained pastiche. Stage structured, Lives system, chiptune soundtrack, slow walk speed, and most importantly, janky as hell. The stairways are Castlevania standard, but at least you can jump onto them when the game decides you can and the whip hitbox is thin to the point your jumping skills will make or break whether you hit a bat or candle or not. You can backflip mid jump, back-dodge and slide, which are nice upgrades, but Miriam can still only whip horizontally. So it's like playing Dracula X on SNES (aka neutered Rondo Of Blood), they really should have implemented Castlevania 4's 8 way whip direction. Still, a nice little disctraction.

Now from one enormous JRPG with a huge continuity to another. Yakuza 7's prologue is just a slight longer than the Cold Steel 4 ending. :lol: Chapter 2 and back in Kamurocho and it still feels like a prologue. I knew about the incredibly slow introduction and buildup so it didn't bother me all that much until I started paying attention to the time.

14. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Still hooked on Dark Souls here. I've reached Gwyn, but wasn't able to defeat him yet because he's fast af and my character hits hard but slow... I'm on level 87, so strength is not the problem - I'm just too slow. For reference, the black knights on the way to him drop after 4 regular hits, or 2-3 if two-handing the sword. Two-handed backstab kills them with one hit if I'm wearing the Hornet Ring.
    So now I'm basically running around the world looking for gear that would make the fight easier :lol: I guess the other alternative would be to hit even harder so I could kill him before he kills me. He doesn't actually do much damage when I'm blocking, but because he's so fast, I don't have time to drink Estus when my HP drops.
    I also realized that the Remastered version I'm playing contains the original DLC content, so I figured that would be a good place to improve.
    Artorias was relatively easy, I almost beat him on my first try. He would've taken maybe 2 more hits, so I rushed it instead of backing of and drinking some Estus... Then I failed miserably about 5-6 times before going in for the kill. I mostly just blocked everything until he did something with slow recovery and then dropped my shield and hit him in the back once -> repeat. The Sanctuary Guardian at the start of the DLC was much harder to beat TBH. And that's where I am at the moment. According to what I've looked into, I wanna defeat the black dragon next and most of all cut his tail to get the Obsidian Greatsword, which seems to be one the best swords in the game. (at the moment I have the Black Knight Sword +5 which is also very good, but the Obsidian + 5 would be a good 150 stronger)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  15. MFB

MFB Banned

What other ring are you using/can you not just shed some of your equipped load to reduce encumberment? I've been upgrading my chainmail armor throughout the game since it has good stats and I keeps me under 50% encumberment, so it's rolls galore.

16. Nicki

Nicki Twit

Just parry his attacks and riposte. He's extremely easy to parry since he telegraphs his attacks so obviously that it's kind of a running joke among dark souls players.

17. wankerness

There are too many NPCs with names like Gwyn, I thought he was talking about that little asshole that flies away every time you get close. Gwyn the last "regular" boss actually chunked me a couple times on NG+, but then when I got out the small leather shield and parried him I downed him in like 20 seconds. :p Blocking and turtling like you can on most bosses is not a good strategy for him. It works on practically everything else in the game, especially the hard DLC bosses (even more especially if you have Artorias's greatshield, which IMO is easily one of the most overpowered items in the game), but not very well on Gwyn! Well, besides Ceaseless Discharge, though maybe you can do something nutty with fire resist gear and magic shield and magic barrier to be able to block his hits.

And you definitely want to do the DLC before fighting him, cause when you beat him it kicks you out to NG+ and you can't do the DLC till you clear all the way through the game again.

MORE YAKUZA 7! This game is almost unbelievably buggy. Like, if you get in a fight with an enemy anywhere close to a low fence, 3/4 of the fight will be spent by your characters taking long illogical paths back and forth around the fence (screwing up all chances for hits on knocked-down enemies) since every time you hit the enemy they'll fall onto the other side of the fence, and then your characters are frequently getting stuck and then just teleporting to the enemy a few seconds later, etc. It's kind of funny. It doesn't REALLY interfere with gameplay apart from the aforementioned making it impossible to get hits on knocked-down enemies, but it really isn't a good advertisement for the combat. It's just glitch-city. They maybe should have done an older-school combat system that didn't take into account character positioning, like Dragon Quest XI or something. Also any fight is guaranteed to have numerous instances of your character sidling up, kicking some objects between you and the enemy, but not even coming close to hitting them. It's so bad. The aforementioned things like having the characters give up on pathing and just abruptly teleporting after a few seconds at least shows the developers were keenly aware of the problems and put in that big workaround. I'll be very curious to see the refinement of this engine. Like, the Kiwami 2 to the Yakuza 6. Or the Yakuza 4 to the Yakuza 3.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  18. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Yeah, I know, that's primarily why I went there. It's an annoying area though - the normal enemies so far have been way tougher than normally, yet they drop a normal amount of souls. So they don't really feel worth fighting :lol:

19. wankerness

Yeah, the DLC is pretty nasty. I ended up just running past as much stuff as possible, especially in the first area.

20. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Get nekkid. Run up. Slap him wit cho dick.