What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I'm glad I didn't remove anything from my Steam account. I now have some games that I bought through Steam years ago that Steam then lost licenses for. Since they're still associated with my account, I can still redownload them through steam. If I'd taken more drastic measures, I'd be out in the cold. I'd have to get the EA storefront and buy them through that!

2. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

The parrying in Fallen Order is pretty Sekiro-like. Though in Fallen Order it's a choice to play like that. Sekiro for me is actually a really weird mixture of actually being too easy mainly, and then not enjoying the boss fights (which are hard). I'm not rage quitting them, i've done a few, but i don't get any enjoyment from finishing them (which seems to be the thing people say to look forward to when frustrated with it).

Fallen Order did fighting groups of different enemies way better, which i feel is missing from Sekiro as well. Half of it is the controls and half the sole concentration on parrying like you said. So the game sorta forces you to do some stealth, then becomes too easy for me. Fighting multiple samurai in the castle is an absolute shitshow for example, wrestling with the control/camera system while 3 or 4 overlapping rhythm games are slowly bumping shoulders with each other and jerking/glitching around in front of you, like the AI doesn't know what to do when they collide. It's like the combat/gameplay system just doesn't work at all in some situations, especially where the tight camera FOV is restricted by scenery as well. People say to run away in those situations, but it was really fun fighting groups in Fallen Order.

I just guess i'm really disappointed because lots of people suggest Sekiro to fill the void of Fallen Order (in a pure combat way).

wankerness likes this.
  3. wankerness

After watching videos of the guardian ape fight in Sekiro, I'm pretty sure I don't even want to try playing it. Parrying perfectly a few times is one thing, doing it for five minutes in a row is entirely another!! And he's not even considered the hardest boss, just the most infamous!

4. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

I just never stop running around and attack when i can, gotta love that unlimited stamina. Second phase is easier too, that big overhead attack is super easy to parry + do crazy posture damage (with or without the spear attachment).

5. StevenC

StevenC Javier Strat 8 2022

Played the Bravely Default II demos the past couple of days and now I'm super excited for the end of the month.

6. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

I am still playing Far Cry 4 (on PS4), probably my favorite game. I suck at gaming and I don't game all that much, like there may be months without any gaming and then I'll sit and play FC4 for 3-4 hours straight on a Friday or Saturday night. So, the games last me forever, I have not finished a single one of the games I have for my PS4...lol.
    Just got Division 2 recently as well as Star Wars Squadrons and Call of Duty- Infinite Warfare, but still mostly playing Far Cry 4.

gabito likes this.
  7. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Came out of the fridge just to post about Cold Steel 4, aka the game that never ends from a series that goes on and on my friend.

I'm pretty sure I'm at the avengers endgame stage. Certainly feels like it, but then a ton of side stuff is still thrown at you just to delay the inevitable. All the Persona style Bonds and Romancing is done and out, which is nice, but really an excuse to overpower the protagonist. And this is where the real jrpg fun starts, trying to find character builds that break the game. :lol:

Funny since I was rather traditionalist in the first 2 games, which probably explains why I had a hard time with the final bosses. :lol: By the third was when I really started paying attention to building. It's handy since this particular game has it's moments where you're forced with a certain party for story purposes, hence you can't keep the characters you don't like on bench for too long, and the difficulty ramps up suddenly on certain bosses. And while here there's way too many characters to keep focus, hence more material grinding to keep up the upkeep, I still find it good fun since there's a ton of possibilities for everyone. Some are more obvious than others, physical dudes were designed to spam their super attacks, some battery characters, speed/evasion tanks, mage spell spams etc.

I've read in some circles that the building the main character into a mage with 2 key items from bonding that completely busts the game. Which is odd when he's designed like every scruffy haired, katana wielding anime power fantasy ever, the last thing you'd impulsively do is put the sword a way and make him cast spells. I missed one of the items anyway so I'll just stick to speed/evasion tanking for now.

I'm getting used to the quasi Magic The Gathering style mini game but the Tetris/Puyo Puyo game gets infuriating towards the latter levels. But I guess that's how these kinds of puzzle games hook you in. And every time I lost (especially now) it doesn't really make me want to stop but challenge again and again until I get a win.

I'm going to try to finish this behemoth by the end of the month and it'll be out of the Nihon Falcom train for a while. I've just got the Bloodstained Classic mode update, and that game with Ichibum and his crew won't play it self. That ought to keep me busy before I tackle Ys IX, and well long before the next Trails game is translated and localised, from which I hear, is even bigger than this one...

SamSam likes this.
  8. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I’ve been playing the new CoD. Haven’t touched the campaign just multiplayer with friends. It still feels great to play. Also zombies is hard AF. Def nothing like Left 4 Dead. Which I honestly wish someone would steal the idea and do something with it.

9. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire pointy purveyor

Turtle Rock ( guys who made L4D) actually have a modern spiritual successor to L4D that's in alpha right now and is supposed to be coming out this summer. It's called Back 4 Blood.

Mathemagician likes this.
  10. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

There's also Vermintide 1 and 2 from Fat Shark if you like a Warhammer flavoured L4D that's good fun. The same dev is working on a Warhammer 40k version called Dark Tide that's releasing sometime this year.

11. Mathemagician

Well that’s a day 5 purchase. I like to wait a week to see reviews. Pre-ordering is for chumps.

Oooooooooh. Are those games good? Cause I’ll check it out if so.

12. KnightBrolaire

The Vermintide games are awesome, especially 2. A bit grindy but they have a lot more depth/replayability than L4D2 ever did imo.

BlackMastodon likes this.
  13. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

+1. L4D got boring after maybe 10 hours for me but Vermintide has some fun progression to keep you going.

Also hats.

14. Mathemagician

I see “hats” and that makes me think TF2 on steam. I mostly play on console. So is it a game that’s way better due to mods/free user made content?

And I actually loved the L4D series, just needed more people to play with.

15. KnightBrolaire

No it's more like L4D with diablo type randomized unique gear and customizability in terms of builds/aesthetic.

16. Mathemagician

Speak of the metal devil it’s on sale on PS4 for like $10. $15 for the premium. I’ll give it a shot at that price.

17. Empryrean

Empryrean Constantly Gassing

I'vebeen having a hoot playing Typing of the Dead as I test out a new keyboard I just bought :lol:

Mathemagician and NotDonVito like this.
  18. wankerness

Yeah, I busted out my cd-rom of Typing of the Dead this summer to encourage my girlfriend to up her typing speed. It is still hilarious, and somewhat surprisingly works on Windows 10 just fine.

19. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

Started control as it was free this month and it’s not bad. Liked the first hour. Like the narrative style and the combat is fun.

20. wankerness

Control is a pretty good game with some bullshit boss encounters later on, and one of the worst-optimized engines in existence. It's ridiculous that the game requires absolute top-of-the-line hardware to run smoothly, and even then it really doesn't look that good compared to games that have much lower system requirements. On a PS4 pro, it had framerate crashes all over the place.

The DLC is also a bit much. I'd say stick with the base game, it's a pretty quality experience.

Speaking of games that could be shorter, Immortals: Fenyx Rising's sheer number of puzzles is getting fucking annoying. I'm just starting to leave vaults the second I enter if it's a long string of puzzles instead of a combat one. They're often just sadistic and horrible, and the fact ALL of them have three puzzles of increasing shittiness make it three times as tedious. Just start with the hard one and stop wasting so much of my time! My god. Like, look at videos of things like Task of Heracles or Torment of Ikaros (getting the bonus chest there) or whatever. And the main "story dungeons" are even worse - they easily take multiple hours if you don't look up solutions online, cause they're filled with illogical, complex puzzle after puzzle. If that's what you like, this is the game for you. If not, ugh. I generally like the game, but it's getting worse and worse the further I get into it. The current quest I'm on, I'm just supposed to climb a damn mountain, but it's taken over 3 hours so far cause you keep getting sidetracked by puzzle bullshit and the path is in no way clear if you get turned around. Gah. It's making me long for the comparative brevity of Breath of the Wild (HA!). At least the combat here is far more engaging and fun, and your weapons don't break!

ImNotAhab likes this.