What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I can't remember if I posted that I started playing Metroid Prime. It's got a lot more of the 2d Metroid dna than I expected, but at about... I'm guessing a third of the way through? It feels a lot more linear that most Metroid games I've tried. I'm not sure if it's because it's actually more linear or because of the hint system that slowly pushes you towards the intended path. I tried to sort of "defy" the hints at one point and take my own path, and ended up with nothing but dead ends.

StevenC and Choop like this.
  2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Metroid Prime was possibly my favorite game of all time for several years. I think that it may be true that it has less freedom to do alternate paths than some other "metroidvania" games, but I guess I never tried playing it in any different orders so I don't know.

If you like it, definitely try out the first sequel. It has some mechanics I disliked, like limited ammo for some beams, but the boss fights are far better.

I still haven't gotten into 3, I just can't really adjust to wiimote controls.

StevenC and Choop like this.
  3. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

That's good to hear - I picked up Prime 2 when I got the first one, so I'll probably try that one eventually too.

4. wankerness

Man, I went back and killed the Fume knight after finishing up Bloodborne. I died four or five times just adjusting to how incredibly slow the healing is, he kept knocking me out in the middle of my heals when I thought I had time!! But god, playing it with rolling after Bloodborne seemed like playing BB like Neo in the Matrix, everything was SO slow. Then again, I did do the "wear the helmet so he goes into P2 instantly" strategy which I guess is easier to deal with. Next I can either do Alonne, or go do the GANK SQUAD boss, which I bet is exactly the kind of thing I'd be terrible at.

5. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Well, I was jazzed to download Scott Pilgrim vs The World for PS4 before work and play it tonight, but uhh, the listing agent isn't even on the PS Store. It was there yesterday. Bummed.

Otherwise, having a fun time with Cyberpunk some 25 hours in.

6. wankerness

Hmm. I remember watching my roommate at the time playing through that game on 360. I remember hearing at some point that it was one of the great "lost games" due to some kind of rights BS making it so they yanked all sales of it permanently, or something. Guess they cleared something or removed something for this PS4 version?

7. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Basically renewing rights. I guess someone brought up the anniversary of the game and whoever has the rights went "Uhh, hey, I'm totally down to do whatever to make this game available again."
    And they did. And I downloaded it. And it's still great, and still has one of the best soundtracks in gaming. It's in everything, PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC, I think Stadia.

8. Nicki

Nicki Twit

Well, I finished Witcher 3's final expansion last night. I've sunk 160+ hours into that game. I will say that the final boss of the expansion was a much better fight than the boss of the main game.

However, I'm moving on to the Tomb Raider reboot/remake games.

9. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

I'm playing Horizon Zero Dawn for the first time. Seems ok though a bit basic so far, but i seem to feel that way about any of the really popular 3rd-person games.

There's still a big WTF with the PC port in that it "optimizes shaders" every single time the game starts up still, and that process takes 15-20 minutes on my pretty fast PC, with the CPU at 100% the whole time. I basically start up the game and then go and do something else for a while every time i want to play it :erk:

10. Triple-J

Triple-J the Experimetalist

the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
    I bought RE7 & the RE2 remake almost a year ago put them aside and forgot about them but I started playing RE2 over xmas and I'm very impressed.
    I'll admit that I've played the OG RE2 inside out on every console I've owned as it was to me what Tomb Raider 1-3, MGS or FF7 seems to be for most other people my age but this has defied my expectations so far as there's so much new stuff it's less a direct remake and more a reimagining that expands upon a few things that I guess the tech couldn't allow back then.

11. MFB

MFB Banned

I want to like RE7 as the atmosphere is great, but I hate, HATE the concept of an undying enemy.

Like, if I fight you once, and it's clear you're not going to die, it more just annoys me than anything when I continue to see the enemy. They're patrolling a corridor? Well I found out during the boss fight that I can't kill him, so now I just have to wonder why I should even bother if you're going to keep throwing an unkillable enemy at me. And what's that? There's three more of them? Fucking great, no thanks.

Werecow and gabito like this.
  12. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

I hate that as well. I started playing the RE2 remake last year (having never played the original) and as soon as i found out about Mr X i immediately stopped playing, and i hadn't met him in my game yet :lol:
    Not sure if i want to go back to the game, even though i was enjoying it up till then, despite my other mild gaming hate/annoyance which is bullet sponge enemies. When you're putting multiple bullets in humanoid enemy's heads and it doesn't really mess them up, it really annoys me. It just destroys immersion for me.

gabito likes this.
  13. gabito

gabito SS.org Regular

Same. I only played the first half (Claire), and when I finished it I said "Fuck this, not gonna play it again."

I played the original on PC a long long looooong time ago and didn't remember the annoying Mr X or whatever he's called (maybe he wasn't in the game?).

14. Yelir

Yelir SS.org Regular

I'm trying out Star Wars Squadrons on X1. There is a free 3 day trial of the game if you have Gold/Gamepass.

To those of you playing RE7, try it out in PSVR if you can, its a terrifying experience!

15. wankerness

I hated the unkillable enemies in RE7, but it was more cause it made me freak out a hell of a lot more if I knew there was no possible way to make areas "safe." It made me stressed out constantly and made me not have fun. It was effective at doing what it was supposed to do!

I thought that game was pretty good, but there's no way I'll ever play it again. The back half kinda just turns into a shooter, too.

16. wankerness

Well, I finally finished DS2, apart from "reindeer fuck land," which I am very apprehensive about getting drawn into mostly based on how awful the boss looks (I had enough trouble with one cat, two would be unmanageable). Oh, and the dual pursuer fight, cause it stomped my face in so quickly that the risk vs reward didn't seem worth it (kinda like the dual Sullyvan beast fight in DS3, but that one could be cheesed). I did all the DLC bosses and Darklurker - at this point, I just have the trophies for collecting all the spells left, which I dunno if I'll do since a couple of them require rank 3 in covenants, and the grind in 2 for them is vastly worse than 3 since you need 100 of items/kills instead of 30. Oh, and I missed the trophy for getting all the villagers, since the guy that was in the wharf looked like an enemy in the dark and I sniped him from across the arena before I realized he was an NPC. :( Oh well, I'd have to play NG+ through once anyway for a few NG+ boss soul spells.

I think the base game of it is my favorite of the four, even if it's definitely not the most polished, and the gigantic weapon variety and ability to dual wield is cool and DS3 was a big step down in that regard. And VERY unlike DS3/Bloodborne, I was constantly switching weapons because different tools were actually better for different jobs instead of one weapon seeming so obviously the best that there was no reason to switch. Like, for the DLC bosses, I think I used a different weapon on almost every one of them. And you can actually farm/buy the materials needed to upgrade to +5/+10 in a very reasonable amount of time! Well, besides the boss weapons that need petrified bones.

But, wow, it definitely has some jank and some sections that seem designed just plain to piss you off. Like, black gulch is a nightmare, with the little statues everywhere that spam you with poison that builds up in two shots, and the incredibly oppressive pulsing on the soundtrack the whole time. And then there's the gank boss area, where the area is absolutely filled with enemies as well as statues that spam petrify at you (at least that takes so many hits i never came close to being petrified). That and the iron passage were two areas I was VERY glad about the enemy respawn limit of this game, cause if that didn't exist, I would never have even TRIED the bosses since the trash before them was such a nightmare to get through that you'd drain half your estus. I read that the intention of these optional areas seems to have been for players to do them co-op, and that makes some sense, but it sure sucks when you are solo. Speaking of, I did definitely use two summons on the gank squad boss, since that fight is blatantly unfair garbage if you try and solo it unless you want to kite them around the room for 20 minutes.

That said, there's nothing in 2 that I hated as much as the crystal area in DS1, or even the pitch-black tomb area in DS1. Any ideas about replaying DS1 have me thinking about those areas and shuddering. I think pretty much the entire back half of that game sucked. All the good areas are used up after Anor Londo, besides the DLC. Maybe I'll mod the crap out of it on PC and see what happens.

When watching random youtube videos, I came across some guy with long gushing videos praising a few specific games. I watched his one for New Vegas, and now I'm very curious to play that. I played a bit of Fallouts 3/4 and didn't get into them, AT ALL. But, NV seems like the dialogue/quests/progression structure are so infinitely superior that maybe I would get into it, even if the actual combat etc is worse? I think I have the GOTY version for 360 and the base version for PC, I might have to try it.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  17. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

The combat in NV is better than 3. There is an aim down sights option for all guns that's missing in 3. That in itself makes it feel better for me. The realtime combat isn't as good as 4 still though. That's one thing they improved quite a bit in 4.
    The quests in NV are great and there are quite a few decent choices to be made. A couple of them are so amusing that i still smile about them years later.

Another thing about NV is that quite a lot of the many DLC are great as well, and quite different/innovative to the main game in some cases. It's worth upgrading to the GOTY on PC if you can get it cheap, if that's where you want to play it.

wankerness likes this.
  18. Randy

Randy Taste the Rainbowâ„¢ Super Moderator

Revisiting Symphony of the Night lately.

"Let us go out this evening for pleasure
    The night is still young"

19. wankerness

Well, that's good to hear! I barely played 4, I think I started building a settlement and was like "I'm not having fun" and that was right when AC: Valhalla came out, so I haven't been back to it. I checked, and yeah, PC is base game only. I prefer console when possible, but if this is anything like say, Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, I'd be a bit scared of the experience being so buggy that I should just go with PC.

I bit the bullet and tried the frigid outskirts in DS2. And wow, it really does live up to its reputation. I absolutely hated navigating to the boss, and that was with 3 summons along! It took at least half an hour, and those reindeer were INFURIATING. Not only do they do a ton of damage, but they jump and fly all over the damn place, making you lose your bearings, making the walk take three times as long. When I got to the boss gate, I just dismissed all my followers, saved, and then uploaded it to the cloud because there was NO way I was doing that BS every time I died to the boss. Ended up needing three tries on the boss, meaning I saved probably an hour's worth of swearing and frustration thanks to the "download saved data from cloud" option. :p

Actual Lud and Zallen boss ended up being fairly easy, thanks to a combination of using an upgraded rapier to mow them down pretty quickly and Bloodborne teaching me that rolling away from everything and rolling through boss melee attacks and using a weapon 2-handed instead of having a shield is not nearly as scary of a strategy as I thought, especially with how slowly stuff attacks in this game relative to BB. I think I only got hit like 3 times on the kill attempt. So now I've officially killed every boss in DS2! Next up is Sister Friede in DS3, who I don't expect is going to seem similarly easier after BB, and then the whole Ringed City DLC and the regular final boss.

I'm kind of glad Sekiro got yanked from the PS sale, so now I'm not tempted to try it. I do have Nioh GOTY, though...

RE: SOTN, I think that might be the game I've played through the most times. Well, besides Ninja Turtles IV for super nintendo since that only took like 2 hours and I played it with friends a lot. I love it. I think a couple of the mobile games might be even better, though. The second and third GBA ones and all three of the DS ones were completely great and it was really exciting finding what was basically more of one of my favorite games when I picked them up years after their release. I wish they had some way of upgrading those things to TV resolution and releasing them as a pack. I think all of them before the first DS one could practically be straight ports since there's no touch screen mechanics apart from the drawing of boss hexes in the first one.

I loved Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night and hope they do another of those. It really nailed almost everything that made those latter 2D castlevania games great (and what was lacking so much in EVERY SINGLE CONSOLE CASTLEVANIA after SOTN, ugh - I suffered through a few hours of that miserable 2D one for 360 and all of castlevania 64/Legacy of Darkness).

20. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

I really like Fallout 4, but not as an RPG. I happen to like first person exploration/shooting games as well, and i love it as that. I built some cursory defences at Sanctuary and then completely ignored the building element of it. I just realised it was no fun as well. Especially as the overall decisions the game makes on when settlements are attacked seem to stop it happening when you have a really built up settlement (what's the point in having defences if you can never have fun seeing them tested?).