What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Thoroughly addicted to No No Kuni and Hades atm. Since each Hades run takes me ~45 min I need to make sure I don’t do more than one or two or the whole evening disappears.

2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Alright, the rain in Zelda BOTW is just flat-out stupid. In the last 20 minutes I've had it start raining in the middle of a fight against one of those big stone guys you have to climb (so I had to whittle down the last bunch of his health with arrows cause I could no longer climb on him to fight him how you're supposed to) and then in the middle of a climb up a cliff. Argh. Just had to go afk for a few minutes the second time since there was no way around that whatsoever other than teleporting really far. I don't care about immersion, forcing people to stop playing the game and wait is a bad design decision. The only parallel I can think of are those mobile games where you have to either wait 8 hours or pay a microtransaction fee to cancel the wait. At least Nintendo didn't do that to stop the rain!

3. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I think it's 5 climbs then jump in the rain, takes some time to get the rhythm but you can make good ground. You should still be able to get up on top of a talus, especially if you've got Revali's Gale. It is annoying that rain puts out bomb arrows though. Also just throw bombs up there and detonate them as their flying past the weak spot. Or if it's somewhere grassy, see if you can get a fire going to get into the air.

There is a small glitch with the rain though. Since in real life region boundaries tend to be drawn along natural borders like rivers and cliff faces, BotW has a lot of borders on cliff faces. Since weather cycles are based on your region you can get screwed with lots of rain while climbing because you're climbing in and out of the next region, reseting the weather cycle and drawing a lot of rain in that lottery.

4. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

after a week off returned to hades and beat Bone Hydra on my 3rd go . I had help though. I luckily massed the load out from hell . I abuse the spear special and had a boon for repelling which made mincemeat of both meg and bone hydra

didn't have much health for my first exploration in elysium so only got a few maps in .seems like the general enemies did get tougher.

last go I used the blood to update my spear special and I don't like what it did . now I need to press attack to re gather and x is a dash . can I roll that back ?

5. MFB

MFB Banned

Only took 3 days of trying, but I beat the first real boss in Nioh, Onryoki. I think that was as tedious as the Father Gascoigne fight in Bloodborne. Today was the first day I made real progress on getting his health down, previously I wouldn't even get through first phase and then yesterday I managed to crack into phase two. Hoping the game opens up a bit more now, this may be as tough as Sekiro, which is quite surprising.

6. Choop

Choop n______n

Finished MGS3! Gonna do Peace Walker soon since it's on the collection I own on PS3, but I've never played it before. Has anyone here played it? It looks kind of like it has shades of MGSV elements.

Oh, trying to put more time into DBFZ also. My new team I'm playing around with is Adult Gohan/Trunks/Frieza, but it's open to adjustment.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  7. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

I've been playing the AWE DLC for Control. I got to what i think is the last boss encounter and not sure if i can be bothered with it anymore. I loved the base game, but i think the combat has just got a bit old now. It doesn't help that there were no new significant powers introduced in AWE, the enemies were the same old same old, and the main big bad i found a bit boring.
    I just exited the game as soon as it was obviously the boss, and not been tempted back yet :erk:

8. wankerness

Yeah, I didn't love the foundation DLC, the boss fights were really frustrating. I didn't know there was a new one but I dunno if/when I'll bother even though I have the season pass. If they hadn't decided to take that ridiculous tactic of making everyone pay full price for the ps5 upgrade, I'd have been much more likely to do so, but I guess they wouldn't have gotten more money from me so it wouldn't really have benefitted them.

9. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

The new one is an Alan Wake tie-in. I thought the foundation was ok and was expecting to like AWE more, but i've found it a bit boring in comparison. Guess the only interesting bit about it is the extra Alan Wake lore and mystery.

10. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

I played PW like 2 years ago, wasn't my fav but i did enjoy it. Lore wise it's the precursor to V and does share a lot of the gameplay elements (fulton, missions/sideops, basebuilding, weapon development...). Wasn't really into the anime parts and some of the boss fights (which seem to be designed for co-op), cool game though.

Choop likes this.
  11. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

You should be able to revert back or de-select it in the weapons aspect menu.

12. wankerness

Been playing a lot more BOTW, just started mosying around collecting lots of seeds/doing lots of shrines after doing the elephant/bird dungeons and getting towards the end of the gerudo/goron questlines. Eventually went over and finished the Goron questline - the final boss basically just fell over. I literally walked up to him, hit him with the master sword with out dodging/blocking/getting hit a single time until he went into P2, and then hit him with 2 bombs and a few more master sword swings and he was done. Ridiculously easy compared to the last two bosses. The master sword helped, but seriously, there was not even anything to dodge!

Guess it's time for the lightning boss everyone hates! I'm farming lots of materials for armor upgrades first, though. I did all the upgrades on the abilities, the one for tracking ingredients/critters has been quite helpful. Almost got those 50 frozen keese wings! :p

StevenC likes this.
  13. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I don't think I had picked up the master sword until long after I had done those four bosses. It's both a strength and a weakness that different playthroughs can play out very differently, influencing things like the balance of difficulty.

StevenC likes this.
  14. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

For the Yakuza/brawler enthusiasts who can't wait for 7 to drop:

Sega have put a Yakuza brawler with the Streets of Rage 2 engine up on Steam (PC exclusive) for free until Oct 19th.

Ralyks likes this.
  15. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

nope. looks like I'm stuck with it

it has forced me to use other weapons though . after initially writing it of, f the rail gun isn't bad once you get a coupe of boons on it

16. beerandbeards

beerandbeards Majestic Shoveler

Ghost of Tsushima Legends DLC came out yesterday. My brother and I played through a few of the story mission. I haven’t played GoT since July but it was pretty easy to get back into the hang of things. Also they take the four elements of combat of Jin, then split it up between the “classes”, although you have all the same skills just each classes excels at one.

there’s some loot drops for better gear that triggers that reward system in your brain. That’s when things get a little more fun mixed with increased enemies and less heals in game.

I think this will be fun for a little while at least until the big titles drop next month (AC Valhalla and Cyberpunk)

17. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

I've been playing a SHIT ton of flight simulator 2020. I'm using an xbone controller so it's not great, but I've been basically doing daily flights between PVD (my old home airport) and Boston in a Daher TBM 930. I've learned a TON about aviation even bullshitting it. It's cool, and I recommend it to others if they're even remotely interested in aviation. (it's on XBOX game pass, so it's free if you have xbox game pass and a PC.)

It's sparked a general interest in aviation and has me respecting pilots, co-pilots, air traffic control, and flight attendants way more than I did before. (even though I highly respected them anyway.)

Also been playing a bunch of Blood, Brutal Doom (1, 2, and mods), Borderlands3, Fallout76 (thanks game pass,) Astroneer, No Man's Sky, RE7, Deliver us the Moon, and the good ol' Overwatch. I'm definitely not at a loss for stuff to play these days.

18. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

The folks on the Rooster Teeth podcast have been talking about this for the last little while and it sounds excellent as far as simulators go, especially some of the real world data that it incorporates.

If you're into podcasts then I'd recommend their new one, Blackbox Down. Talks a lot about aviation accidents and other cool related things. If you're looking for some background noise or ways to kill time it could be up your alley.

Señor Voorhees likes this.
  19. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Crossed off Ys IV: Memoirs Of An Invisible Man.

Managed to get 100% of the map, monster compendium and items, though I only cared about filling the map. Also managed to cap all character levels and skills, largely due to the secret elite boss being treated as a regular enemy, hence respawns, hence exploitable for multiple killings.

Adol seems OP here, not just with 2 extra skills over everyone else but every collected memory buffs his stats so he gets substantial upgrades. Then it becomes similar to Lacrimosa of Dana where you have 2 shashers, 2 pierces and 2 strikers. In fact it's pretty much exactly that: proto Ys VIII, without verticality. No jump button and the blocks and dodges assigned to face buttons rather than triggers made it easier for me to get flash guards/dodges so that was certainly fun. And it's great. Looking up gameplay for Dawn Of Ys and Mask Of The Sun (which apparently has the worst of the bumper car mechanics), and I'll take this every single time. Though once again, there is an item that lets you bump into enemies, and also works to break obstacles, but by and large, old school bumper Adol can go in the bin.

Looks like I'll be focusing on Spiritfarer until Cold Steel IV drops in a few weeks. The game parades about how you bond with your passengers then say goodbye, and it's always a tearjerker when they finally pass on. But then the game threw me a curve ball...
    ...where one character who seems like the happiest of all passengers, will eat anything you feed him... throws a massive dinner party then suddenly disappears the next day. Gone. No goodbyes, no final hug, no ceremonious departure, nothing. Just the spirit flower left in what will be an empty house for the rest of the game. Once again the game never ceases to break me, since this character seemed to stick around longer than most of the others, for me this hit close to home.
    Put spoiler tags because I want everyone to play this game.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020 at 11:33 AM
  20. wankerness

So what YS game would you say is the best apart from VIII? I loved that, but older-school scares me.