What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

I downloaded Wasteland 3 on games pass but was told to wait because there are countless bugs right now, many game breaking ones but mostly ones that will crash to the Xbox home menu. It’s meant to be an amazing game but I’ll wait a few weeks for more patches to come out.

2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Started playing Zelda: Skyward Sword for the first time this weekend. I'm about 7 hours in, and have kind of a love/hate relationship with it. It's certainly different in feel, and has BY FAR the best music of any Zelda game I've played yet, and the character models are really fantastic and emotive, and the controls are polished to hell. But, I also kind of hate the controls. Almost everything in this game is inextricably tied to them, even things like freeing your bird from a cage involves a lot of "trace the lines with the wiimote swing paths!!" and even the most basic enemies require you to do specific maneuvers with the wiimote/nunchuck, sometimes in tandem. Very basic enemies like Skulltulas become infuriating (ex, with those, you have to spin attack them, and then madly jab at them to hit them in the belly as they swing around you rotating). It makes for a more immersive game, but it's also extremely annoying. I HATED the first miniboss and first real boss. My arm was getting tired from all the attempts to get Link's arm pointing the right way before initiating the swing to avoid being instantly parried. I even more especially hate the "bowling" motion you have to do to roll bombs (a cool mechanic that I haven't seen in the other games), as if you try to do it while slouched on a couch like a slob you often just can't get the remote pointing down low enough to initiate the roll fast enough, and you really have to be able to do it fast to deal with some enemies. I guess if you like standing and waving wiimotes around, this is the game for you.

The bird flying is kind of annoying, too, but I'm getting the hang of it.

The Wii-U is the best Zelda system, I think. I have almost the entire series covered between it and the 3DS! You can play the DS, N64, Wii, and the GBA ones through virtual console on Wii-U but not Switch, there are the two wonderful HD remakes that are still system-exclusive, and Breath of the Wild is virtually indistinguishable from the Switch version. Then 3DS has the superior remakes of OoT, MM, and the exclusive (which I've seen ranked best in the series multiple places).

I heard that Skyward Sword was rumored for Switch in the next year. I really have no idea how they'll pull that one off without totally revamping almost all of the gameplay. You can certainly use most of the items, but almost every single enemy you interact with requires motion control. Maybe they'll either remove all that parrying stuff and make it the same as the other Zelda games, or come up with some convoluted scheme where you have to aim slashes with the right stick.

StevenC likes this.
  3. MFB

MFB Banned

Started the HD remaster of Shadow of the Colossus last night, and I'll give the game full credit for it's ambition, but man the execution just feels clunky to go back to. The camera is overly fluid to the point where it feels like it's sliding on ice, the light focus should trigger a hard fixed camera behind the player instead of letting you now control to independent objects with different controls, the sprint function for Agro is necessary every 3rd gallop or you'll never get anywhere, the it's and these were ones I noticed right out of the bat jumping in.

Aesthetically I do love it, and as a teen I don't remember having these same questions about it (or if I did I was alone in thinking it because no one I knew played it), but the remaining colossi seem more like a chore now that I'm getting familiar with the game.

StevenC likes this.
  4. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

Finished Red Dead Redemption 2 last night.

I almost cried.

SpaceDock and steinmetzify like this.
  5. wankerness

You hated it that much??

gabito likes this.
  6. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

I loved it

7. SpaceDock

SpaceDock Shred till your dead

I’m on my second play through of RDR2 and AOC Origins, really need some new games.

8. Kobalt

Kobalt SS.org Regular

Hitman 1 & 2. So good, the stealth genre is a dying breed... Can’t wait for the third instalment, moar levels!!

9. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

About half way point of Ys IV Meanderings of Chlamydia, judging from the map percentage, some big reveals and a not so subtle title drop (well the title from it's first remake). At first it felt a little slapdash with Adol, Not Dogi and whoever came along for the ride go through little adventures, but it certainly gets better and more challenging. Hopefully I'll finish this soon before November comes along and Trails Of Cold Steel IV sucks away my will to live.

That said, I just bought Spiritfarer out of sheer curiosity. So far a lighthearted indie 2D management sim, where you're a girl who takes over Charon in finding spirits and helping them to the afterlife. Thought would be a nice pick up and play kind of game, but after first play, I had to force myself to quit when I realised a good 3 hours have passed.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  10. Choop

Choop n______n

I decided out of the blue to replay the Metal Gear series, so I just beat MGS and got to the Big Shell portion on MGS2. These games are still excellent--and I love the aesthetic of MGS 1-3.

gabito likes this.
  11. wankerness

How are you playing 1? The original PS1 version? Or do you have the super-expensive gamecube remake? :p

12. Choop

Choop n______n

PS1 version on PS3! I'll maybe eventually play Twin Snakes via Dolphin or something in the future.

13. wankerness

There’s an official pc version of 1, too, but it definitely looks worse than twin snakes. I dunno if mods exist. I should look into that. I have fond memories of the game (I played through it 4 or 5 times), but haven’t played it since the ps1 was still a current system! I bet it didn’t age gracefully. I remember even at the time thinking the graphics were weird with the semi-faceless characters whose arms didn’t quite connect to their bodies.

Mathemagician likes this.
  14. wankerness

I've been playing a lot of Hyrule Warriors on Switch. I bought it after seeing the hype about Hyrule Warriors 2's announcement and remembering Jim Sterling freaking out about how fun it was. It's got probably the worst minimap and ally AI I've encountered in a game this generation, but it's somehow still really fun. Just, whenever you're on a map where you need the AI to do ANYTHING, you're going to be swearing at the TV a whole lot (ex, the level where you have to intercept three characters running opposite directions on a time limit at the same time). The minimap is unspeakably terrible, and when you're paused it's slightly easier to read, but still awful, as you can't read what anything is without clicking on it, and the map has hidden gridlines that don't line up with the rooms so you'll often have to click all four grids that surround a dot to try and figure out what said dot actually is. Also, you frequently get warnings about X character needing immediate help, and you have NO idea where they are on the map, and with the shitty pause screen map you can't find them either unless you want to go around and click all hundred grid icons. If Hyrule Warriors 2 gets an even close to acceptable map, it's going to be such a gigantic improvement over this game - the map is the biggest impediment to enjoying this game, by far.

I thought I'd really like playing as Zant, but it gets old fast stubbing your toe. I thought I'd like playing as Tingle, but his weapon is terrible and he's always accidentally blowing up the wrong target when it matters. Instead, Twili Midna and Zelda and the overpowered Link are the most fun for me so far. I'm working on unlocking weapons and characters through the adventure maps now, after finishing up the campaign. The music and combat are great and remind me very much of YS VIII, which is a very good thing. It's basically F-Zero X versions of Zelda music, with clangy snare and distorted guitar melodies everywhere, and I love it.

I'm not sure how aware people are of this game, but it's a blast as someone who has a longstanding love of the 3D zelda games and who likes twitchy super-Japanese games. It has some annoying cutesy Japanese female character tropes in it (mostly added characters - Linkle and Lana are the biggest offenders) and the annoying voiceacting that comes with it, but it's OK since it also lets you play as characters like the insane bug girl from Twilight Princess.

StevenC and Mathemagician like this.
  15. Choop

Choop n______n

One advantage Twin Snakes gives you over the original is being able to aim in first person. I wanted to play the original as-is first because I think that'll change the way the game feels quite a bit. IMO it has aged well, but I'm not a stickler for graphics really -- it just seems appropriate for the time that the game was made.

16. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Hyrule Warriors being a Musou (Dynasty Warriors) game with a Zelda reskin, I'm not surprised of the bad maps. The 'Warriors' games never had any good map systems; they're more or less vague suggestions of what the actual terrain looks like. And the ally AI is always awful making you the lone bastion of competence in the entire battlefield running back and forth from one end to the other trying to instigate your allies to actually fight the officers as opposed to just doing a little dance... more often than not you killing the officers yourself. I wouldn't expect much of that to improve significantly in the next game to be honest.

I do find these Musou games a guilty pleasure... each and every incarnation of them. There's a fun catharsis in being a one man slaughterer of legions using one combo.

I got heavily into Warriors Orochi because it was my excuse to get Dynasty and Samurai characters in one game, only to end up playing their respective games anyway. :lol: I adored the DW Gundam reskins a lot because it added the whole mecha build mechanic that deepened the gameplay. Hell, I loved Capcom's attempt of Samurai Warriors because this an extreme example of Japan taking liberties with their historical figures and making everything explode like a Michael Bay film.

Incidentally enough, I never played Hyrule Warriors. :lol:

Sidebar: Jim Sterling's hatred of Dynasty Warriors 9 is legendary. Largely because he's a massive fan of the series and how awful 9 was being an extremely steep cliff fall from the awesome DW8.

17. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

The only Warriors type of game I've played (that I remember) was Hyrule Warriors. It was.... ok, I suppose.

18. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

I haven't played one since Drakengard.

19. wankerness

Drakengard is like that?? I know they're connected to the Nier games in some weird way so I had no idea.

After looking through many screens in the pause screen I found there are entirely separate tabs for showing useful information (ex character/enemy location/health). There's NO reason they had to split it all into separate maps and make the command functions only work from the most impenetrable of them. Damn devs. Probably it's just been that way since Dynasty Warriors 1 and the longterm fans don't ask for an improvement.

20. mikernaut

mikernaut pixel pusher

Love this artstyle, hope it comes to console eventually. ( not much of a PC player these days)