What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Kaura

Kaura with a car you can go anywhere

Okay, I already kind of finished Vice City but the thing is that I have to make like $70k to unlock the last mission. Honestly, easier and quicker done in real life than in that shitty game...

2. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I took a breather from the heaviness that is Last of Ua 2 to play some Spyro. That was needed. Probably go back to Last of Us 2 tonight.

As far as Last of Us 2 on PS5, I bet it happens, but I think you won't have to pay for a full game again. It will probably be a free/cheap upgrade like a few games have confirmed to be doing.

3. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

In a suuuuuuuuper minor way. I work for one of the companies that helped with the Directors Cut edition - but I joined that team late in the process, and I'm not sure I could point at any specific thing and say "I did some of that". Maybe a bug fix or two.

4. Alberto7

Alberto7 Silly Goose Engineering

Decided to download Assetto Corsa about a month ago. I effed up. It's fun enough playing it with an Xbox One controller, but now I want a proper sim racing setup, and that's almost as deep a rabbit hole as the guitar hobby is.

StevenC likes this.
  5. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Started AC: Syndicate. It’s pretty good so far. I like that the season pass included the XP boost, as the game is wayyyy more fun when you have access to your abilities. It plays like a clunkier version of AC:Origins in the melee department, although I kind of prefer its melee combat system (clearly trying to copy the WB Batman games).

GF finished wind waker doing most of it herself (she’s new to video games with the coronavirus outbreak) apart from puppet Ganon. What the hell is with that guy, especially the third form? It’s a HUGE difficulty spike from the rest of the game. And then the actual final boss is vastly easier again!
    Now she’s playing OoT (she isn’t bothered by graphics in the least). I’m amused that my n64 still works perfectly. I have it hooked up through my receiver and have no upscalers/line doublers or anything to make it look better, and no ability to force the image to 4x3, but she’s really into it, much more than the first 7 hours of Twilight Princess. She just finished the fire temple and is now rooting around for the eye of truth. It’s funny to me how horrendously the controls aged - the single hardest thing we’ve encountered so far was just a timed event in a dungeon where you had to run up a narrow winding staircase!! Those N64 controllers are NOT like riding a bicycle (which SNES controllers tend to still be). It feels so weird and wrong after decades of dual shock setups having the stick be controlled with the left hand and control both all movement and all turning! And the mandatory Y flip on aiming is really hard for her to adjust to (and me a little bit too, even though I only just finally stopped using the option myself last year when I encountered a game that wouldn’t let you change it and figured enough was enough). But, the gameplay holds up pretty well and the scope and ambition is still striking. It feels like a much bigger game than Wind Waker, and that time travel conceit was really cool. And the Ganon stuff is built into the plot WAY better than Wind Waker.

Dumple Stilzkin likes this.
  6. ImNotAhab

ImNotAhab ChronicUnderachiever

Tried playing kingdom hearts. Don't think it's for me. Gave Stardew Valley a go too. Also not for me, not into job simulators.

Not having much luck lately unfortunately! Ghost of Tushima just might save the day in a few weeks.

7. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Idk if you like retro games, but megaman X-X4 is available as a bundle and if you didn’t play them on the SNES/PlayStation they are really good side scrollers. Just throwing something out there.

ImNotAhab likes this.
  8. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I made it to the end of Hollow Knight, and I'm glad I stuck with it. At some point, it clicked that because of how non-linear the game is, if any challenge was too much, there was enough stuff in the game that I could go do something else, still make progress elsewhere, and come back to something once I had improved or got some new power or something. If you can deal with the difficulty spikes, the game does a lot of stuff right.

mongey, narad, Mathemagician and 4 others like this.
  9. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Does that mean you're ready to give Dark Souls a go? :lol:

These Souls like games really should take their own advice and "git gud" before the 10-15 hour mark.

10. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Hah - honestly, I've considered giving Dark Souls a shot. Even if it's for no other reason to have experienced the thing that every other game is compared to now.

BlackMastodon and Bloody_Inferno like this.
  11. Møkshā

Møkshā SS.org Regular

brattysis

12. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

Been on CoD:MW in all forms and Bang-your-sword-against-the-wall-in-a-narrow-hallway simulator: remastered.

13. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

*laughs in lightning spear*

Leviathus likes this.
  14. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Today I tried to go back to Alien: Isolation, since I never finished it. It didn't take long to remember why I had put it down. This game is relentless. I'm not new to playing video games, and I'm not adverse to a challenge, but it feels like I need to cheese the mechanics to make any progress. If you're spotted even once, you're more or less dead - and your own visibility is severely limited. Combine that with the inability to save when you want to, a lack of feedback on how how you're doing, and it's just frustrating. You end up replaying the same bits over and over again.

IMO what makes a stealth game is the sense of taking control of an area/situation - the ability to gather information, make choices, then see the results of those choices. That's why something like Thief works really well: you're given multiple routes, vantage points, hiding places, etc., that give you the ability to scope out what's going on and decide how you want to progress, and there's a bit of leniency if you screw up. None of that is here. You take the singular entrance into a room, get immediately shot. Try it again, manage to get into the room at all, hide behind a big prop in the room - a character patrolling through a shadow that you can't see spots you and you get shot anyway. Attempt 3, try to use the leaning mechanic - you still get spotted. There's no leeway, there's very little in the way of the normal stealth game cycle of an NPC going on alert first, investigating, allowing you room to correct your mistake, etc.

It's a game I want to like - the visuals are really well done, the player movement is solid, audio is mostly good, etc. But after replaying every segment for a third or fourth time, the game isn't scary, it's just frustrating.

15. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Agree with you but if you are talking about frustration better stay away from the Souls games

16. KnightBrolaire

ehh ds1 and 3 are way more lenient than 2 imo. Fuck that game. I'm a pretty patient dude but I raged so much playing that, even as someone with like 500+ hours in DS1

17. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I find it's a distinction between whether or not it's satisfying to get over the challenge, and whether that's an intentional design feature incorporated into the rest of the game. Hollow Knight was tough, but it knows this, and is designed in such a way that any challenge can be overcome with some practice, or by choosing a new path. You have the opportunity to go another way, or succeed, before frustration sets in.

From what I understand, that's part of the point of Dark Souls, that you go in knowing it's going to kick your ass at first, then you get good, and feel a lot of satisfaction once you get past it.

Alien is not designed this way. It doesn't have multiple paths, a save system that goes easy on you knowing you'll die often, or even challenges that are mostly skill based. It's meant to be "scary" and "immersive" and "tell you a story through gameplay" etc etc. You're not supposed to consistently fail and lose hours of progress. It's supposed to be challenging, but not that challenging.

Challenge is ok. Killing the playing frequently can be ok. Making the player feel like they've wasted their time is not.

18. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

Or you can get Nioh. That way, you get to discover that kind of game, and play a good game at the same time.

19. KnightBrolaire

Dark Souls only kicks your ass if you don't pay attention. It's not like Sekiro where you HAVE to master the base mechanics in order to progress (the game is basically impossible without getting good at countering).

20. Dumple Stilzkin

Dumple Stilzkin Special needs member

Playing my way through Ultimate Doom after not playing it since middle school (roughly 20 years ago). Also Perfect Dark (both original and the updated graphics version for seXBoX.). Although the above post has me wanting to dust off my copy of Ocarina of Time.