What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire bring out your dead

Playing through Last of Us again to hype myself up for the sequel.

ImNotAhab likes this.
  2. NotDonVito

NotDonVito molesta la breastas

I guess I'm doing the same, I bought some PS3 lot on ebay months ago(which had TLOU in it), and the USPS center it was stuck at finally decided to drop it off yesterday.
    I've been playing Bap a lot lately cause I'm sick of playing tank and DPS que is too long for me to bother.

Mathemagician likes this.
  3. Kaura

Kaura biding his time

Still going through MW1. Man, even though MW2 campaign had some frustrating moments. The first one is just busting my balls. And I haven't even got to the Mile High Club mission which is supposed to be the most difficult. :mad:

4. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I tank in most MMO’s. I have NO IDEA how to “tank” in this game. However healing? That’s all just spatial awareness baaaayyyybeeee I don’t even gotta know how to aim good or nothin. So that’s me, because there’s always someone more skilled dying to play a ninja or cowboy.

His healing throughput is insane for that short window where all your CD’s line up. Not the best at healing large groups though.

5. NotDonVito

Funny enough I think you need more aim on baptiste than any other healer. Even Ana's heal has that giant triangle hitbox. Bap grenades have travel time, and the splash effect isn't generous enough IMO. His damage has a lot of recoil too, not easy to hit those shots either.

I honestly think tanking in this game is a practice in nihilism and futility. Most tank games I lose seem to be when I'm try harding on Rein, and the enemy Rein just has better support players. And this is from like 2500 when I first started playing MT, to about 3800 where I peaked like 3 seasons ago. But when I troll around playing dive tanks on 2CP defense, I always win because I'm not so much at the mercy of what my team is doing. Kind of the same reason I hate playing characters like Zen or Pharah, anything that needs to be babysat and/or pocketed constantly isn't for me.

6. Mathemagician

I haven’t played in forever, I just remember Zendaya hitting so hard it was basically “a DPS that could also heal”. Playing a melee character like rein just doesn’t work in random games as no one heals you and then you pancake. Also no one follows calls/communicates. I’ve never actually played ranked though, so maybe it gets better there.

7. NotDonVito

Well that used to be the case, but they nerfed Zen's projectile speed back in like 2018. You used to be able to charge a shot and one tap people around corners so fast they couldn't react. Discord was actually nerfed for a long time too(because of GOATS), but they reverted that on yesterday's patch, so he's a little better right now than he has been. Lucio has been the meta off support for the past year or so.

8. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

even though I despise the character design Lucio is the support and has been for ages .

been messing with wrecking ball as a tank , didn't really play him when he dropped, and hes good times. not sure any characters main weapon can shred health as fast

9. Mathemagician

I love Lucios design, he reminds me about Jet Grind Radio. I remember him feeling faster. He feels slow AF now and that makes him unfun to me. However myself and 3 other teammates were booped into the well on that Greek map by a Lucio and I couldn’t even be mad.

10. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

Overwatch is a lot of fun. Teammates blame-gaming and everyone thinking they're an expert gets annoying after a while though, so much in game whining after round 1 doesn't go so well...

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  11. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

but roller blades ? never cool

12. Mathemagician

You take that back. Roller blades were for those who lived by the skate.

mongey likes this.
  13. ferret

ferret Not worthy

Still on the Overwatch train, gotta get those new anniversary skins.

14. NotDonVito

Funny enough I actually bought some Corr rollerblades on ebay around the time overwatch came out. I was pretty decent riding them, but man it was embarrassing and seriously uncool to be in the park with those fuckers on! I wish someone would make rollerblades cool again the same way people made skateboarding cool again by going to class on a longboard.

15. Mathemagician

I’m going to old-man you here and say “do whatever the fuck you want”. It’s fun, it’ll get you in shape and get you legs your partner will like. Who is going to make fun of you? Other dudes? Kids? Whatever brah, I just wanna skate.

16. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Still happily playing Trials of Mana, while FF7R stays sorely neglected. Some stray thoughts:

Newcomers should start on Normal, then bump to Hard on NG+. The game is already too easy (the original is still challenging though) which leads to many factors, and full build parties on NG+ suddenly becomes a spreadsheet on who can rank the highest DPS proficiency grid.

The game throws so many healing items at you that healing spells can be classified as redundant at times. Chocolates and Poto Oils can last right up to the post endgame dungeon, so healers just become quality of life luxury. Granted that you could get by in the original without a dedicated healer (stock up Poto Oils), so in this case you're free to try new different class party combinations.

There is absolutely no reason to save your class strikes (super moves). All the perks that raise them, and all the damage you can dish out with them makes it pointless to store. I tweaked all my AI supports to blow through them every chance they get. Plus they all look so damn cool.

I haven't reached the point of changing classes with Kevin as of yet, but in the original, he gets extra Throw style class strikes that do tremendous damage as well as look badass. Looking up on boards, nobody seems to talk about them, so I'm assuming they're not here. A bit of a shame since it's one of Kevin's unique perks outside beat everything up, but it's no real dealbreaker since Kevin becomes a cross between Goku and Kratos with the right buffs it doesn't matter. Also the simplicity of Kevin beating everybody up is already a fun gameplay loop.

My first playthough I was set on who I wanted to use and how to build them. With all the changes, I'm rethinking to the point of overthinking to avoid any redundancy. Currently with Kevin, Charlotte, Hawkeye, I'm set on what to do with the guys (Fatal Fist/Rogue), but Charlotte is interesting. All builds are viable but I'm not sure which will best compliment the team.

In turn, I'm already struggling to think who I'd like as a third member for my Duran/Angela playthrough since that's more open to redundancy over other combos. While redundancy isn't really going to kill your party, it does play majorly to the fun factor of getting high on the DPS grid I suppose. And I've said before, having 2 or 3 members doing the same thing is dumb. After the third play, I'll try out some other different combos I've never got to do in the original right until I get bored or want to play something else, which I feel may take a while.

If Square Enix will add DLC to this, I honestly have no idea what they'll bring out since it's already a complete game, I'm genuinely curious what they'll add, so long as it's gameplay oriented and not pointless cosmetics (hope I didn't jinx it).

I'm basically treating Trials Of Mana as a brawler or a fighting game. :lol:

On a completely different note (or maybe not), I recently watched a Let's Play on the old Alien Vs Predator arcade brawler by Capcom. I didn't realise it before, but that's probably the most deep and comprehensive brawler ever made. Since the walk to the right brawler gameplay loop is so simple and gets repetitive and boring quick, the game remedied that by giving the 4 player characters a ton of different moves and mechanics so you have many unique and cool ways of punching/slashing/shooting a bunch of Aliens and Weyland Yutani grunts. So pretty much similar if not the same reasons I'm really enjoying Trials Of Mana right now.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  17. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

rollerblades ...
    Cool ..,
    Again ?

wait what ?

Btw sarcastic old skater(Board) dude here. Do whatever you feel and love it.

18. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Burned through The Outer Worlds in 2 days, think I did most of the sidequests and the two main endings. It's an amusing game but definitely reflects its budget with drab, often small environments and the short length. It reminded me a bit of mass effect meets what little I have played of Fallout 3. The combat was kind of samey, even by the standard of something like Skyrim, and it mostly just came down to grinding EXP with quests to get higher dialogue and hack/lockpicking skills. I liked a bunch of the satire.

On to Yakuza 5!

19. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Oh man, I just started Yakuza 5. This is a HUGE upgrade over 4 in the gameplay and engine departments. I thought 4 and 5 ran on the same engine, but if they do, 5 really took it to a whole new level. I haven't played 0 or Kiwami 1 in a long time now, but this one's insane framerate and much more detailed character models have me thinking it probably looks just about as good.

Enemies already block too much at the beginning of the game, but I also already got to beat up some punks for threatening an injured dog and a little girl, so this is exactly what I wanted! :p I have high hopes for this one, I've seen a few people say it's bloated and the plot is pointless compared to 4, but I've seen several others say it's the most ambitious game in the series and the best in some respects.

20. Mathemagician

Moderate FF14 & Kingdom Hearts spoilers.

So playing through kingdom hearts 3 and I just realized that square enix has exactly ONE trope for villains - bad guys who wear black coats and travel through time by killing themselves in some fashion or another. Wow, the Org 13 are basically Ascians from FF14, like it’s painful how much overlap there is. Only KH’s story is nonsensical pseudo-anime-Power of Friendship and FF14 at least tries to keep it cohesive with their big reveals.

Thankfully KH3 is a blast to play and the individual world stories are fun as ever! I vaguely remember KH1 and don’t remember anything About 2, so I’ve been piecing everything that’s happened in all the side games and 2 from all the exposition in 3 and just wow it’s not very fun. Like I got the gist by the second to last world but it was rough. Doesn’t help that the dialogue is watered down.