What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

Steel battalion? The Xbox game with the giant ass controller?
    The Armored Core games are on my list. Started collecting them. I have so many games i have to play...

Currently on DuckTales Remastered. Game keeps crashing on the last boss...

2. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I’m biased as I ended up loving DS2 as much as 1 for different reasons. Most people agree that the DLC is the highlight of DS2. From level design to boss design it’s peak From Software. I can’t oversell its quality, and imo definitely go in cold with no guide.

Choop likes this.
  3. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Yes. Particularly Steel Battalion Heavy Armour, where From Software ditched the giant controller and thought combining the gamepad and kinnect was a good idea.

4. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

Finally picked up Three Houses. First time playing a Fire Emblem game since the GBA era, so suffice to say it's been a while.
    But I'm having a blast so far! The game's evolved a lot since the last title I played.

StevenC likes this.
  5. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Got the platinum on control by going afk and reading a book for 20 minutes between bureau alerts popping up - very stupid mechanic.

Back to Yakuza 3! This is very bad compared to the later ones, unsurprisingly. The plot feels like more of an exposition dump - all of a sudden many hours into it the story seems to have finally started, and it's less interesting than usual and the exposition is dumped in larger chunks than in the later games. Eh. I'll try to power through it to get to 4, which seems to be a fan favorite again.

6. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

So yeah, not only did I get the Platinum for Control within 2 days after beating it, but I'm currently starting Yakuza 3 as we speak...

7. Bloody_Inferno

Slogging through Yakuza 3 myself while waiting for SFV Champion to be released and Yakuza 5 to install.

Yeah it's the weakest in the series by far, with 6 being the distant second (not counting the non remakes of 1 and 2). I still intend to finish it since it's the only Yakuza game I haven't finished (also not counting the Samurai and PSP spinoffs).

It is great and convenient now that all the Yakuza games are available in 1 console. Depending on how I go with 3, I should revisit 4 some time. 5 is still somewhat fresh in my mind so it'll be a while before coming back to it, and by then Yakuza 7 would be released in the west I suppose.

I was checking out the prices of Tales Of Beseria knowing it's a prequel to Zesteria, one of the Tales games I was rather meh about (except the music) and this supposed to have improved and retconned some of the game. It is cheap so might have to grab it to scratch the JRPG itch.

8. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Yakuza 3's biggest problems, I think, are the poor writing for the substories and the very bad combat. Like, basically everything you do gets blocked, and when they DO connect, your punches hit like a wet noodle since there's no mechanic for upgrading attack power in this game, unlike the later entries. So, basically the only way to do any substantial damage is to do heat moves, but you can't build any heat if you get your attack blocked, and it drains almost instantly if you get hit, so it's just a very terribly balanced system.

Basically I just have to use the Komaki counter moves that you get from beating his 3 apprentices or whatever, and that's the only consistent, reliable way to do any damage against bosses.

9. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Anyone play Daemon X Machina on the Switch? I'm curious how it compares to the Xbox 360 era Armored Core games. I really loved those over the older ones because of the fast-paced mech combat and was disappointed to hear they went back to the old style in the later releases.

10. natedog_approved

natedog_approved Meatsack

Dude. I totally forgot about Armored Core. I used to play that on PS2. Such a sick game.

BlackMastodon likes this.
  11. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I only played the prerelease demo, but I have never felt less engaged with a game because the aiming system and HUD made me completely unaware as to whether I was hitting anything ever. On the other hand they apparently took feedback from the demo and adjusted the final version accordingly, but I haven't played that.

BlackMastodon likes this.
  12. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

Started Nioh. Lots of fun.

ImNotAhab likes this.
  13. Ralyks

Yeah, I'm kinda iffy on Yakuza 3 Soo day. But I'm kind of pushing through it because I hear 4 is a high point for the series, and I feel I really need to complete the Yakuza serious at this point since I've already beaten 0, Kiwami 1 and 2, and 6.

Anyone play Dreams yet? I've been contemplating grabbing it since it's only 40 and I have some GameStop credit and games to trade, but I feel like I'd mostly play the story mode and other people's instead of making my own.

I rented this randomly when I still had a gamefly account and ended up keeping it. I didn't get super far but remember enjoying what I played. I would like to revisit it one day.

14. ImNotAhab

ImNotAhab ChronicUnderachiever

Started Nioh and gave up after many, many deaths in a very short amount of time. This is a theme with me and the soulsbourne genre. Obviously I have the reaction times and coordination of tortoise on xanex.

The only souls ish experience I made it through was Jedi Fallen Order because at least they gave some difficulty tiers.

15. Mathemagician

Just to get ahead of the other souls fans. If it has difficulty tiers it’s not a souls game. That said personally idc as long as people get to enjoy a great game.

ImNotAhab likes this.
  16. Bloody_Inferno

4 was my gateway to the series. It's considered a high point because it fixed everything lacking with Yakuza 3 and upped the ante with extra content, characters, goofiness. Adding the extra characters bought a lot more personality to the series as well.

How was the combat system in Berseria? I forgot if it was full action based or the traditional Tales arrangement. I remember getting really put off with Zestiria because of the lack of camera control during battles. Looks like they fixed it here.

17. Ralyks

It was my.only Tales game so I'm not sure. I remember it being very action filled but you could switch between your party. Come to think of it, it kinda felt like a somewhat more strategic FFXV. I could be wrong, it's been a while, but I remember it being fast paced.

18. Bloody_Inferno

Cool. I'll probably still check it out since I've been invested enough from Zestiria so I want to see the thousand year connection.

Though the next few months will be dangerous since all the interesting releases will be dropping then, 2 being Persona 5R and Trials Of Mana, being on the top of my priority list, so it'll be a while before then.

19. Ralyks

My two favorite games of all time are Final Fantasy VII and Persona 5, respectively. So you can imagine how I feel about their remakes coming out within like 2 weeks of each other.

20. Mathemagician

Isn’t persona 5 like 3 years old?