What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Personally it just looks like satire of both angles to me. “Doesn’t even one a credit card” doesn’t seem like a real way to live, so it reads tongue-in-cheek to me.

2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I liked it. The virgin vs chad comparison is a well-worn meme and that's a good example of it. It's usually a parody of arguments as to why something is awesome and something sucks. There's definitely many levels of irony involved (usually it's pro-whatever the Chad is, but it's always done by the same kind of memesters that hate Chads; the arguments are usually overblown in intentionally ludicrous ways, etc). I've seen plenty of them with political candidates recently.

And you WERE kind of taking up some of the "pro-corporation" argument in the "sure maybe indie games are sometimes complete crap but if you take a chance on it you know you're throwing money down the toilet!" line you had there. :p

3. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

It's not a pro-corporate line -> most of those indie games I'm talking about "gambling" on are made by small "teams" of one guy who threw it together in an hour. Nothing to do with corporations. I stand by what I said. There's enough information out there that there's no unknown "risk" to buying video games. Buying a game is not a gamble.

4. jonsick

jonsick SS.org Regular

I just finished The Room series from Steam (on windows). Absolutely hooked! I just got a couple of others in the same vein, namely Talos Principle, Please Don't Touch Anything, realMyst (never played the original), Serena and The house Of Davinci.

If you like a really immersive puzzle game with some spooky undertones, pick up The Room.

5. Carrion Rocket

Carrion Rocket Registered Lurker

The Last of Us: Remastered.

Jesus Tapdancing Christ, I forgot how long that game is. I never did a new game plus playthrough on PS3 so I'm doing that now.

chopeth and ImNotAhab like this.
  6. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Curious, it felt very short for me as soon as I finished it and had to start the ng+ right away. Anyway, awesome game.

7. alinas

alinas Crowley

8. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Put Yakuza 3 on hold thanks to Cold Steel 3. Did the same thing 3 years ago incidentally enough.

Looking up footage of Yakuza 7, the new JRPG style combat looks more akin to Persona 5 (and Cold Steel to some extent) so there's still a bit of fast rhythmic pacing and still as violent as ever.

And the minigames are still as Japan levels of absurdity.

Also karaoke is finally back.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  9. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Yakuza meets Persona? There is absolutely nothing I dislike in that sentence.

I've been enjoying Death Stranding but... Jedi: Fallen Order looks dope and got good reviews, and I have a preorder waiting after work...

10. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

In a move that will surprise nobody, I started playing another old game -> We started a run of Mario 3 on the NES. I used to cheat all the time so there's so much of the game I've never actually seen/beaten before. There's a lot of level design stuff late in the game that I wouldn't have appreciated as a kid.

StevenC, Ralyks and Mathemagician like this.
  11. wankerness

I finally finished AC:Odyssey, maybe I can clear that 87 gigs of hard drive space now! Good game, but at this point I don't know if it's worth playing everything if you weren't keeping up with the DLC as it came out. I can't even imagine the endurance required to complete the main game and then all the DLC as if it was one thing. It makes AC: Origins GOTY edition look like The Order.

If anyone gets this at Black Friday or something, I'd highly recommend the main game and the Atlantis DLCs, especially parts 1 and 3, but the first three DLCs are stupid and could be skipped.

I can't wait for BL3's goddam Halloween event to finally be over. It's unbelievably aggravating still getting attacked by ghosts nonstop when I just want to play the game!!!

12. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I'm at the part of Disc 2 in FF8 where the Garden become mobile, and as an adult, who now looked into the actual workings of the junction system - it's tedious and boring as fuck for a game/battle mechanic. Like, I understand the logic of X spell at Y value = Z% stat change, but you when there's three levels to elements spells and you can stock up on one spell, from a weak enemy type in one battle and just go ham for a bit? Eh.

I have Squall with probably double the amount of health as everyone else/base level, and his damage has 99 with a tier 2 spell type and it's fucking shit up. Most of the boss battles come down to a few hits from my regular party, coupled with a boosted GF here and there, and it's over.

13. Carrion Rocket

Carrion Rocket Registered Lurker

Granted, the game is the perfect length for the story being told. There's a couple parts I'd have trimmed a bit, but it wouldn't be the same experience if you just started hacking parts out. And to be fair, I was also trying to do as many collectibles as possible in a single playthrough before giving up on that.

14. Ralyks

So Jedi: Fallen Order is doooope. Feels like a mix of Unchartee, Dark Souls, Force Unleashed, and Metroid. Best Star Wars game in quite some time.

Thaeon and BlackMastodon like this.
  15. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Considering how good the campaign for Titanfall 2 was, I’m glad it sounds like Respawn is consistently good.

Ralyks likes this.
  16. ImNotAhab

ImNotAhab ChronicUnderachiever

Jedi Fallen Order aka God of Soulsbornevania.

17. wankerness

The promo stuff all made it look like a boring uncharted clone with jedis, but now I keep hearing people say it’s more Metroid/DS style?? Maybe I SHOULD get this game. EA I guess just thinks that what people want are boring, linear games with tons of cutscenes and tried to cover that up!

18. Ralyks

To be fair, it's Respawn.

19. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

The promo stuff I've seen so far makes me think of Jedi Academy, and I mean that in the best way. I haven't played a new-ish game in quite a while, but this has my interest.

20. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

On my second play through of Outer Worlds. Is not long enough is probably my only complaint.