What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Seriously? That's a red flag. No way am I preordering that, either.

I'm now going through the last DLC on AC: Odyssey. This map is huge. Ubisoft might have some problems as a publisher, but generosity of content is not one of them. It's nice that this thing was a truly one-player game, too. I can't complain about the microtransactions as I never at any point felt like the XP or drachmae acquisition was too slow without paying for an upgrade, and thus never spent any money on it!

StevenC and Mathemagician like this.
  2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I don't know that I could a review embargo as a red flag. Lots of big budget games do it, from what I understand. I've seen some games do it, come out, get reviewed positively, all things are fine. I don't think it means anything.

3. Choop

Choop n______n

I think H1Z1 also ripped off Day Z mod, that's all I can think of from the top of my head though.

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire jUsT bUy A 5150

Oh I meant PUBG copied the br mod for arma, not Day Z. There were a bunch of dayz esque games but pretty much all of them besides 7 days to die are absolute garbage.

Choop likes this.
  5. wankerness

Review embargos till it's too late for anyone to cancel a preorder strike me as a huge red flag. Review embargos of the sort that they're only allowed to come out at the same time a week ahead of release or something (ala Death Stranding) do not. Maybe it means nothing for the quality of the game, but it definitely is stupid and I would not preorder anything other than a really known quantity (ie, a Naughty Dog game or a sequel with much of the same people on board) that doesn't allow for any warning until it's too late. Especially considering refunds are not a thing anymore. :p

Adieu, XPT707FX and Mathemagician like this.
  6. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Refunds aren't a thing anymore? I thought most platforms were moving more towards the availability of refunds as opposed to the other way around. I could be wrong though.

Mathemagician likes this.
  7. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Easy refunds digitally are still mostly not a thing in the US. For context for the EU peeps the EU has several consumer protection laws that companies spend a LOT of time and money to smear. They include things like supporting digital refunds. Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Steam until recent years all had a “all sales are final go fuck yourself” attitude. Typically parceled with a “One single refund is allowed per account per lifetime. If you do a chargeback we will ban you permanently with no recourse.”

And then boot-lickers will defend those policies with “WeLl It WaS iN tHe RuLeS aNd YoUr FrEe NoT tO bUy It!”

People will have a pissing contest over how “capitalist” they can be when it comes to giving up their own expectations for service and quality on behalf of a multinational company “as long as they are being told they’re getting fucked up front”.

wankerness likes this.
  8. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I suppose I'm thinking just overall - EU seems to be moving towards making it easier. And I know Steam in Canada lets you refund stuff pretty easily. I dunno how different that is for consoles and in the US.

XPT707FX and Mathemagician like this.
  9. Mathemagician

Very rough on consoles, and unless something changed recently (as in within this year) they all follow the “one token refund maximum” policy. Steam US saw what could happen if they start getting regulated like brick and mortar stores and threw out a better policy a few years ago that was something like “if it hasn’t been downloaded and played within the first 24 hours (may be 48) or has less than 1 hour total play time within that window you can request a refund”. So at least there is that.

Lots of companies were happily throwing up shit games for preorder with the “intent” of fixing bugs after launch because digital sales were final.

I would never personally buy a game without reviews being out first. We’re not talking about trying to get a physical copy of an obscure RPG in the mid 90’s here, it’s 2019 and a lot of us expect to know the quality of what we may be in for.

Adieu likes this.
  10. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

Steam in the US lets you refund easily, I do it all the time (basically, every game has a free two-hour demo now).

EDIT: The exact policy is much less strict than what Mathemagician claims. It's "we'll refund you if you've owned the game for less than two weeks and have played two hours or less". In some situations, they'll still offer a refend refund even if you don't meet those criteria (such as if you've got over two hours of playtime but that's because you've been trying to make it work, unsuccessfully).

11. wankerness

Yeah, Steam getting refunds was a huge step in the right direction. I use PS4 and digital downloads most of the time, though, and they will only refund if you haven't even STARTED to download the game, let alone trying to play it! So if you preorder something and it pre-downloads to your system, you're already unable to get a refund even if you were unable to play it if you tried.

12. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

TBH, Steam's refund policy is the most generous I've ever seen in the PC gaming world. Back in the day of brick-and-mortar stores, if the box had been opened, you couldn't return it.

BlackMastodon likes this.
  13. Mathemagician

Good deal. I wasn’t really knocking them as apparently I was off in the number of days but not hours played. Either way that should be the gold standard for digital distribution in the US.

14. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Maybe I'm biased 'cause I see it from the dev side, but I'm not sure I'd blanket-ly call it the right direction. Refund systems are an easy target to be exploited. And I wouldn't find it any more reasonable to get a refund for a game you don't like than to get a refund for a movie you didn't like. If it doesn't function at all, then sure - maybe you don't have a compatible PC or something. Maybe a build gets rushed out that doesn't actually launch. I could see the value in being able to refund for those who get offended by surprise objectionable content, but at the same time in the age of lets-plays and such, that one's a bit of a stretch. I imagine that most of the time, a person buying a game knows more-or-less what they're getting into when they commit to purchasing a game.

15. wankerness

They almost never do when it comes to the indie crap on steam. There are thousands of broken-ass games for sale on there for as much as, if not more, than professionally published ones. Some of them are good, most are terrible, and some are just asset flips and broken crap that is more likely to crash than allow you to successfully finish them. There's a fair amount of stuff like that on the PS4 store, too. No idea on the Xbox store or whatever it's called.

I think refunds are more than fair when it comes to something truly terrible considering demos are basically a thing of the past. They used to have them for almost all AAA games, now they don't seem to have them for much of anything, and if they do, it's usually hard to find it (buried on the publisher's website or something). I think in a perfect world that you'd be able to get a refund as long as you only played the game for an hour or two (assuming standard game length of ~10+ hours). But yeah, if someone plays all the way through a single player game they should have to at least pay something. Since game rentals are also mostly a thing of the past (except with like, Gamefly, which only works for consoles and even then is a huge hassle considering so many games require you to download many gigs of data even if you have a disc) there's no way to test anything anymore without dropping the full price.

16. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I don't think I agree with that. If you're going around steam picking up little indie games with no reputation, no reviews, no recommendations, etc., then you're well aware of the level of risk involved in doing so. It's not like there's not enough selection of games out there, or enough review Youtube channels, enough retro games, enough information out there about what asset flips are etc. Nobody is going in blind. Nobody goes "ah man, I bought Borderlands 3 and totally got blindsided by the unity asset flip". Or, you could flip through the "latest releases" on Steam tagged with "indie" - nobody is exactly going to be surprised by the impressive quality of "Lesbian Breakout" for $0.71. Or the weird game I just found about getting revenge for being fired by shooting up an office building. Stay classy, indie devs.

17. NotDonVito

NotDonVito ouch!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    Kaura, wankerness and Mathemagician like this.
  18. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Don't get me wrong, I get the "games aren't serious business" angle, but they're a bigger industry than film right now (in some ways).

19. NotDonVito

NotDonVito ouch!

I think that's more of an argument to pirate than anything else. :lol:

20. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I honestly don't know what the point of the image was supposed to be. Seemed like it was just putting down people who put any value in games. I mean, that's not a great argument for piracy either.

StevenC likes this.