What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

The Outer Worlds rules, yeah, although I don't think it's all that much like New Vegas, aside from being a first-person RPG that's heavier on dialogue and stat-checks than a Bethesda game. The way it's structured reminds me more of Fallout 1 or Arcanum (which the directors of TOW previously worked on) than it does New Vegas; side-quests are structured in such a way to point you towards the main quest and help advance it, it's not open world so much as lots of smaller locations that you can hop between, non-linearity is frequently subtle and in the "what methods you use to accomplish your goals" sense than the New Vegas "choose your own adventure" sense.

TBH, even though I like certain aspects of New Vegas a lot, on the whole, I think it's really overrated. The Outer Worlds is fantastic (aside from the combat, which is kind of shitty, but it was also shitty in New Vegas, so whatever).

2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

How bad is the combat? I enjoyed gameplay in Skyrim and Mass Effect (especially 2/3), for examples of other story-driven RPG shooter thingies that I like, but I really did not like it in Fallout 3 at all.

BlackMastodon likes this.
  3. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

I'd say it's probably worse than Fallout 3 or New Vegas combat. It's really quite bad. It's an Obsidian game, you're playing it (and probably enjoying it) in spite of its combat, not because of it.

4. NotDonVito

NotDonVito ouch!

I played Outer Worlds for about 30 minutes before I got annoyed by the characters. I would pick the dialog option that would piss them off the most, until I realized I was wasting my time playing a game arguing with virtual people.

5. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Finished Indivisible. Huh, first Platinum Trophy I've got too. Not something I care for, but here I am.

That final platform area really was utterly hellish but ultimately doable. Going through it and going through all the countless pit falls and instadeath spikes, it clicked to me that the developers being versed in fighting games were applying the same kind of precision to platforming. A concept that works great in theory but can really mess you up in practice. I won't be going through that part again in a long time.

6. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

As mentioned in the other thread, Death Stranding. But more importantly, did you know they ported Castle Crashers to modern consoles? Because HELL YES I downloaded it after finding out last night.!

7. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

They have Aladdin and Lion King SNES/genesis era games as a double pack on PS4 (and I’m guessing xbox) and I remember how hard I had to work to beat those on SNES. Man I’m debating whether a nostalgia trip is worth $30.....

8. Kaura

Kaura communism is alive

Needed something to keep me busy during the No Nut November so I decided to try Ring of Elysium again. Still fun, that is if you're willing to wait for 5-10 minutes in the queue to find a match and even then you only get like 10 people in the match. :squint:

NotDonVito likes this.
  9. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

They're probably busy jerking off.

Kaura likes this.
  10. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Photobucket=shit

or playing a less shit game

11. NotDonVito

NotDonVito ouch!

;_; same thing happened to me last time I tried playing

Rip ring of saturnus

12. Kaura

Kaura communism is alive

What exactly makes it shit? Are you against BR games in general or do you really think PUBG is better, let alone Fortnite?

13. KnightBrolaire

It had some neat ideas, I just think their execution of said ideas (snowboard/zipline) made the game janky. I'll give it credit for having some good quality of life tidbits like automatically putting attachments on weapons/not taking forever to pick shit up though. *cough* PUBG*cough* That being said, I think Apex is about the best option out there right now.

Kaura likes this.
  14. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Made it to the last dungeon (I think?) of Links Awakening. Took long enough to get there. Not a lot of time for games lately.

StevenC likes this.
  15. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Unpopular opinion time! Battle-royale games are all the worst parts of gaming rolled together. (In terms of my old-man video game tastes, at least.)

16. Kaura

Kaura communism is alive

Ok, boomer. :lol:

I gotta admit, though. I hated the trend too until RoE came out.

17. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I had to google what RoE is.

I'm perfectly ok with being out of touch with whatever appeals to teens these days.

XPT707FX, Bloody_Inferno and StevenC like this.
  18. Choop

Choop n______n

I stopped following BR stuff, but there for a while they were more just ripoffs of the Day Z mod, right? They felt like games stuck in alpha that were being sold as full releases. Maybe they're better now. Apex kind of looks like a cross between several titles really.

19. ImNotAhab

ImNotAhab ChronicUnderachiever

Hoping to jump into Jedi Fallen Order when it comes out. The review embargo does not lift until release so I won't be pre ordering. Guess I will have to try my best to enjoy the game without those extra lightsaber hilts (if I even buy it at all).

In the meantime I have been playing Bioshock 2. Decent fun if a little grindy.

Mathemagician likes this.
  20. KnightBrolaire

nah, PUBG was the only one that really directly aped Day Z's mod (and the creator that made that mod had a big hand in making PUBG, so it makes sense). All the others do their own thing mechanically. They may have similar concepts (shrinking battlefield zones and gathering weapons) but that's basically where the similarities end for most of the BRs.