What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

I love Metro. Metro Last Light is awesome as well, i like it even more than 2033. Metro Exodus will give you even bigger Stalker vibes in that it has open-world areas.

Brutal08 likes this.
  2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

The game was horribly balanced for single-player compared to 1. If you have the absorb shield that drops off the BUNK3R boss, it's more than playable. If not, it's neverending frustration of getting literally one-shot by half the enemies you see and constantly being in fight for your life mode. And with the way the respawn fees scale with your money so you can lose billions each death until you're very rapidly back to no money, it's like money might as well not exist in that game except to make you rage when you die to one of those unwinnable, completely not-fun situations where some dude snipes you and then hides in cover for the entire duration of FFYL so you can't possibly do anything except die.

I played to max level with zero, salvador, maya and the commando guy. It wasn't horrible as any of them, I think the start of the game before you have any weapons or abilities that aren't worthless is the hardest part. But, at some point at max level if you turn the difficulty up it becomes obvious that you are not supposed to be able to play solo. It's outright stupid how damage scales relative to shield capacity (you might as well not HAVE a shield if it's not that absorb one since every enemy will take the entire shield and all your health with a single shot).

Man, thinking about this has just pissed me off enough that I'm not buying BL3. Haha. I'll wait for it to get a lot cheaper unless there's confirmation that it plays in 1 player more like the first game (everything apart from vehicle scaling was more than balanced and you could solo anything except the raid bosses without infinite frustration).

EDIT: I started Yakuza 3. The graphics are definitely a lot worse and the combat is definitely clunkier (the enemies block way too much). Also, holy shit, the fishing is the worst thing ever. You have to use bait for EVERY CAST even if nothing bites. And, actually catching the fish is quite tedious, it reminds me of Nier 1 or something but with like 4x the time required per fish. BUT, I instantly was sucked into the story and I love, love, love orphan dad hawaiian shirt version of Uncle Kaz. Plus, Majima is like the first fight in the game!

3. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Man that explains so much! I didn’t know about that BNKR shield. I’ll have to drop back down to TVHM to fight that boss a few more times assuming I can even solo it.

Every time I play with 2-3 people the enemies seem way easier than solo (because of all the damage) but once a 4th joins the seem super hard to kill again. But solo is just not fun: Crit headshot on a bandit = 20% of their life bar. Body shot? May as well have not happened.

And playing as Krieg means that unless I can pop his special 2 shots will absolutely kill me without cover.

I’m going to hold off on BL3 until the super mega edition comes out next summer. Starting to study for an exam and don’t need any more distractions from new games.

Also someone dropped me a shiny OP10 machine gun that seems to do a half million+ per shot. Am I realistically ever going to get to use it? “OP” comes after the UVHM right?

4. StrmRidr

StrmRidr Hide your Jacksons

I'm actually looking forward to this year's COD. I haven't really played any of them since MW3 but the new one looks very promising and a proper return to form. I'll be giving the Beta a go on PS4.

5. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I'm waiting for my son to go to bed so I can play Final Fantasy VIII remastered. I'm actually surprised as how excited I am to play it. Haven't played it since I beat it back in the day and basically 100% it.

6. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

I just wanted to come in here and say that as a console player that bought a gaming PC just so I could play PUBG, I’m REALLY EXCITED that I just found out about the Splitfish FragFX.

I’m going to order this thing RIGHT THE FUCK NOW and then dominate for exactly 3 months and then quit this piece of shit game.

/rant

7. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Played Link to the Past over the weekend with the news SNES app on Switch. Pretty good game, better than my other experiences with top down Zelda.

Bloody_Inferno likes this.
  8. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Still one of my favorite SNES titles, or even Zelda titles. Tightly designed with very little flaws, it was a large world of it's time that openly encouraged exploration while still being cohesive. I need to replay this again soon and see how much I still remember from the game.

Mathemagician, TedEH and StevenC like this.
  9. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I completely lost interest in LTTP somewhere around the time the dungeon items starting feeling like they were just random padding crap designed to lengthen the game (ex, CANE THAT MAKES BLOCKS APPEAR!!!). I still haven't finished it!

10. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I didn't so much mind that cane, I liked how it was used in the last dungeon. The ice rod was dumb, being that it's only purpose is to beat one boss that you can't beat otherwise and you don't even get it in that dungeon. Magic Cape only has one use, too, an optional heart piece. I kept forgetting the hookshot existed because I'm so used to big "hookshot here" targets in other games. Medallions are pointless, too. And in a game with such clunky item switching the Book was just annoying.

Cane of Bryna and Bombos Medallion were really cool items though, but basically worthless. Cane is good for Blind, but otherwise they're a bit overpowered for an action game.

Couple other things. The bosses were all basically trivial except for Moldorm because of the falling off the stage, Ganon because of the falling off the stage, and that moth dickhead. I hate that moth. Worst boss ever. Gives moths a bad name. In fact, screw that whole dungeon.

Item drops were way too low. Not enough magic to make it worth using or even trying your fancy items until you get to the section that requires it. And there aren't enough rupees in the game to make it worth buying magic potions to use those items. And between those two things you end up just running past every enemy in the game because it's not worth the magic or risking the hearts. On the other hand, I had more arrows and bombs than I knew what to do with.

Now, I'm happy to admit some of these criticisms are from playing the game in 2019 and all that comes with it. It's a SNES game and it shows in a lot of ways. But I have the same issue with this as the original Zelda, my main weapon is a sword and I never want to fight people with my sword. I played Oracle of Ages when it came out and enjoyed it, but my child brain couldn't get very far and if I wanted to play Zelda, Majora's Mask was right there...

All that said, I'm super excited for Link's Awakening remake next week and really hope they do Oracles in the same style soon.

I'm going to play F Zero for the next while, because it's the best game on SNES.

EDIT: I should probably say what I actually liked about the game. Being more or less the start of the series, certainly the lore, it really has that Zelda sense of magic. The "legend" bit. It makes me want to know more about the Imprisoning War and makes me think about the Master Sword sitting there untouched for so long (poor Fi). And all that is only enhanced with later games in the series. I'm sitting here wondering what happened to the Master Sword between ALBW and Botw that Zelda I link never found it.

Also, while some dungeons just felt meandering and random, others felt really tight and fun. I don't really mean the linear vs non linear dungeons either. Just the loops you had to go through in some dungeons were fun and some were annoying.

Finally, it does that other Zelda thing. You start the game off very vulnerable and scared and by the end you're running through dungeons with all the experience and equipment you've gained along your journey.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  11. Bloody_Inferno

In fairness, that was released at a time where Nintendo were beginning their formula of remixing and refining the original game.

ALTTP was their first attempt, and yes there were a ton of superfluous and redundant items. Especially all the obvious padding items like Titan's Mitt, the Book Of Mudora, Moon Pearl or that bloody Shovel. Then the overabundance of upgrades, but then again having the red boomerang is sweet and so are 2 Master sword upgrades.

I certainly preferred the Cane of Somaria over whatever that top business in Twilight Princess was. There were some puzzles that required cool usage of it and superseded bombs for others. And yeah it was pretty much the most important part of Turtle Rock.

The Cape IIRC is good to pass through certain bumper obstacles and in terms of invulnerability, I used it much more than the Cane of Byrna (which I always found useless). Medallions for the most part are useless aside from contrived but elaborate ways to open paths. The Bombos I only used once against the Ice palace boss and that's it. Ice Rod definitely had much less use than the awesome fire rod, and that's against 2 bosses. The hookshot game usage was still in it's infantile stages, but I thought it was great at the time.

I didn't have that rupee issue since the secret caves were always chock full of them. There was one near Lake Hylia on the way to the Ice Rod that gave an easy 500 of them. I always raced for that quickly since after that I never ran out of money again.

ALTTP has certainly aged at this point, but I still think it's one of the top tier games in the Zelda canon. Perhaps on par with Ocarina both just below Majora's Mask and maybe Wind Waker.

StevenC likes this.
  12. The906

The906 lifetime novice Contributor

So BL3 anyone?

Edit: it's not out for a few more days. Thought it was today.

13. Mathemagician

Purposely burned myself out on BL2 this past month. I’ll see you next year for the $40 collectors edition! Flak looks super fun.

The906 likes this.
  14. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I think I got too many upgrades at the shrine of happiness, money wise. I definitely didn't need 70 arrows. I think all the later games, particularly the 3D ones, just got the balance right for a lot of things. That comes with experience, so it's hard to fault ALTTP too much for it. I only got all the arrow upgrades because they're so useful in other Zeldas, same for bombs. And those games are usually happy to give you bombs and arrows if you need them, but still reward economizing and getting the upgrades. Here, the one enemy that required bombs alway dropped bombs and were in rooms filled with bombs, same for bomb puzzles. Arrows were in seemingly ever pot and blade of grass. But after dying to that bastard moth I just kept letting the Wallmaster get me so the 2 hearts in one room would respawn, because it was such a hassle to get out of the dungeon and back in to heal.

I know this is still the era of Nintendo hard, but this isn't a difficult game. It's just frustrating in a bunch of places.

15. Bloody_Inferno

Finally finished Noctis: Some Day His Prince Will Come, and all the extra DLC episodes.

Where to start? For a Final Fantasy game it has traits that could lead to FF6 or 9 levels of greatness, but it trips over itself and falls hard face first way too many times to reach those heights. The fact that the game is incomplete thanks to 10 years of development hell, even with the Royal edition and all the DLCs, feels so obvious, seriously harms the game's story. It's so clumsily put together.

There's a big bruhaha about how utterly crap the entire Chapter 13 part of the game was, and I'd like to report that all these critics are completely right. I will defend it's tone and feel; it's supposed to be bleak, dark and uncomfortable yes, and it does that well at least. But it goes on for far too long, a lot of repetitive running about, and takes away a ton of story and screen time for some characters (coughRAVUSunconvincingcough) and the Ring of Lucii isn't exactly as worth using as the lore implies. Adding the extra verse (where you control Gladiolus and Ignis) highlights the chapter's story flow even more. I was swapping between the 2 and ended up spoiling major plot points because of it. Seriously screw you Square Enix.

Also, when it comes to modern gaming, it's usually against my playing style to do side stuff post game and will try to do as much if not all before seeing the main ending, but to lock parts of the post game stuff like the Airship equivalent is a small pet peeve of mine. I didn't like it in XIII vanilla, and I don't like it any better here. Speaking of side stuff, most of it (non hunts) is crappy fetch quests, so there's even less incentive for me to do them. I don't mind inane side quests if they're interesting like the Yakuza series. But FFXV doesn't have anything more than get stuff or take photo for some dudes we don't really care for.

I do appreciate that the final boss is just a regular built dude and not some overbloated deity like every JRPG ever. And also that the game allows you to troll the ending sequence with a photo of your choice. :lol:

As for the DLC stuff:

Episode Prompto: I've spent a lot of time making fun of this guy, though I respect that he's the game's Edgar equivalent and having a drill and buzzsaw weapons and being the sensible person of bring a gun to a knife fight deserves respect. That said, his episode made me actively angry. I'm not one for cover based shooter mechanics, and I don't like them here. :lol: I appreciate the change of genre, but I guess I'm not a fan.

Episode Ignis: I had to play this post game since apparently it was spoiler galore, but turns out it wasn't really that much. Again the clumsy story telling doesn't help. The supposed ninja class where his lighting dash attacks are janky as hell and you're given a hookshot for a few minutes only to have it taken away. The alternate ending is a neat touch though.

Comrades: Perhaps my first ever attempt in playing a MuMorPerGer. Being an old school nerd I made a character named Clyde Arrowny armed with shurikens and daggers. I was actually looking forward to this one. But it turns out it's just The Hunts from the main game with a hub and a waiting lobby. And it got grindtastic real quick. I didn't bother going further, and had I known that bandit Clyde was going to show up in Chapter 15, only to be underlevelled and frequently died as I tried to figure out what Noctis and co were doing under the Behemoth King's legs... I still wouldn't've played Comrades more.

Episode Ardyn: Ok this was actually fun. Everyone likes the story, which is pretty much a chapter from Live A Live, but I digress. I liked this one because the game suddenly turns to Saints Row 4 meets Prototype. You get to wreak havoc and carnage over a small Tokyo-esque city and the game rewards every destruction caused. Come to think of it, the Live A Live comparison wasn't done lightly. Difference is that LAL was an actual shock twist, while this was more of a character backstory study. It's not bad but I thought it could've worked better if the whole story was, well... you know...told properly.

Apparently the cancelled Episodes for Noctis and Luna will be released as novels, so a big buggernuts to them.

I guess who am I to complain that this isn't the FFs of yore. But there are moments that show it's name heritage that I like. For instances the small moments spend with Noctis's boyfriends after camping or sleeping hark back to Shadow's dreams. The open world may be a ton of picturesque bugger all but the exploration is classic JPRG gaming. All the little references especially to FF6 (yes perhaps I should just marry that game), are aimed square at my direction.

All in all, the Charcoal Clad Chippendale Club is a good game, but with too many birth defects to make it great. A shame because I remember when the XIII Versus trailer dropped, I'd thought it was a game changer for the franchise. Oh well.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 5:51 AM
  16. Bloody_Inferno

Scratch that. I just read the Wiki for FFXV Dawn Of The Future because screw it.

Huh, it actually sounds pretty epic. It's a more of an elaborate mulligan of Chapter 14-15, there's a ton of fanservice pandering and it turns more into another slapdash JRPG ending, but it would actually make a pretty cool full game, well at least by latter day Square Enix FF standards anyway.

But alas, we may never know...

17. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Not sure how to feel that the game I've been playing most lately is... Pokemon Go.

stevexc likes this.
  18. The906

The906 lifetime novice Contributor

You mean you are going to do a Me and wait until the price drops over time and buy it then?

Mathemagician likes this.
  19. Mathemagician

Yep. Have a giant exam in June and need to begin studying now due to my hectic work schedule. So no way am I adding an addictive brightly colored loot game to my rotation. But NEXT year? Oh bby heck ya. Lol.

The906 likes this.
  20. Empryrean

Empryrean Plucks strings

finally cracked open Sekiro after buying it like 2 months ago and not touching it for no good reason. Very fun game if you can get into the combat mechanics

Leviathus likes this.