What FX’s sound better analog, rather than digital?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Tortellini, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Tortellini

Tortellini SS.org Regular

Just thought I’d be fun to see everyone’s thoughts and opinions on this!
    Personally, I am not a fan of digital OD/Distortion or digital pitch shift FX (for drop tuning.) In my opinion, I feel like everything else is done perfectly fine by digital/multiFX pedals and processors.

What do you guys think?

2. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

The only effect I do like digital is delay, and that's only for some things. Play around with all the fun stuff a Chase Bliss delay can do, but if it's going to be metal solo time, Boss DD-3 is fine.

wakjob and Tortellini like this.
  3. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

I think with enough processing power digital is always better. What turns me off to digital is usually the interface. I don’t like screens, just knobs with labels.

I know a lot of guys, myself included, that hate tweaking. It’s probably why the dark terror is one of my favorite amps. 3 knobs and an overdrive set to boost gets you where you want to be in like 30 seconds

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    wakjob and Tortellini like this.
  4. Tortellini

I understand that. I hate my millions of choices on my Vyper 30w. It’s taken me 7 years to figure out how to properly work the fucking thing! (I’m a registered dipshit)

I think the Boss ME-80 got the digital design right with the lack of screens, but it’s a lower end-ish multiFX pedal. Not at all compatible to a Kemper, AxeFX or anything else “pro level.”

5. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Digital isn't one thing. Putting some old digital pedals on the same line as modern units from say Strymon or what is found in Axe-Fx or Helix is just unfair because processing power has gone up a lot and so has algorithm and I/O quality.

Digital overdrive pedals can sound exactly like their real world counterparts in my experience. I'd say the only thing that is not the same are fuzz pedals. Those can be very picky about how they work with real amps too and digital reproductions don't tend to react in the exact same way but still sound very good.

Flappydoodle likes this.
  6. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

I can live with just about any digital counterpart.
    Especially Delays. I actually prefer them.

But once you hear a full stereo rig with good analog effects including 'Stereo-Tri-Chorus' your brain won't be the same.

7. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Even with my Axe FX, I've found that I still prefer the sound of analog overdrive and compressor pedals :2c: maybe I'm not deep-editing enough, but I can only ever get "close" or "good enough" settings for those effect types.

I'm usually just as happy with a digital counterpart for most other effects, though I do prefer pedals and amps for jamming to avoid too much tweaking

8. Blasphemer

Blasphemer Bird Law expert

Compressor, Fuzz, Chorus

Tortellini likes this.
  9. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

After using my Axe, I have no issues with analog vs digital. I only have some analog effects on my board because I'm too lazy to make a patch for them in the Axe. :lol:

I guess technically I'd prefer analog delays. Not because of the sound, but because of the osculation effects. One of the main reasons I wish I still had a Carbon Copy.

10. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

spring reverb . there is no pedal that sounds like a real spring reverb in a nice amp

11. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

I can't tell the difference

Kaura likes this.
  12. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

I can’t say there’s no pedal that sounds like a spring reverb tank but, my favorite reverb ever is the spring reverb built into the rockerverb mkii. Some people say it gets too wet and I strongly disagree

13. pearl_07

pearl_07 SS.org Regular

I used to think the same thing, until I heard demos of the Source Audio Ventris. Their spring reverb engines are the best I've heard.

14. Tortellini

I just can’t imagine being able to drop $1000+ on an FX Processor. I could build a HUGE ass pedalboard for that price..

15. sylcfh

sylcfh SS.org Regular

I can't stand digital modulation. Nothing comes close to a real Phase 90.

16. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Only if you stick to cheaper pedals. The cost of a Helix, AX8 or even a used Axe-Fx 2 won't buy you that many pedals if you go for the more expensive units, which IMO are the direct comparison to what is in the afore-mentioned multifx boxes.

HeHasTheJazzHands likes this.
  17. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

But it'll only get you a timeline, bigsky, and power supply for them (no physical board) - used. ;)

18. LeoLmX

LeoLmX I like turtles.

A nice Analog Man chorus pedal will sound more luxurious than any digital counterpart.

19. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Seriously, who cares? Unless you want to build your own pedals, why does it matter "how" the pedal makes the effects sound? Truthfully, some analogue pedals sound great and others sound like trash, and exactly the same thing can be said about digital pedals. Even with delay pedals, it depends on how you want to use them, but the same thing goes.

20. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Yup exactly. I had a pretty sizable pedalboard I just finished selling (except for one pedal), and it pretty much covered the cost I spent on the AX8. On top of that, I have more effects than I would if I just stuck with my pedalboard.