What do you think about this HP laptop?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by BigPhi84, Jul 8, 2011.

1. BigPhi84

BigPhi84 Pronounced "FEE"

What do you guys think about this laptop's specs?

HP Pavilion dv7-6163us 17.3" Laptop | StaplesĀ®

This particular model is going to be on sale next week for $699.99 at Staples. My primary needs... recording/composing music using Komplete 7 and a DAW (still trying to figure out which one), Photoshop, AutoCAD/Inventor work, and surfing the net. One issue I'm not sure about is the firewire chip (although, I'm assuming that we're gonna see a lot of USB 3.0 Interfaces at this upcoming NAMM.) Also, I'm not sure if the BEATS audio is any good.

I don't use my computers for gaming (I got out of the "build race" after Crysis came out), so integrated graphics should work for me.

If I get this, I'll probably switch the hard drive out for a solid state drive.

Does anyone know if the current DV7 has a extended battery option? Would 16 of DDR3 RAM be overkill? Any heat problems or any other problems with this Gen of DV7? (I'm glad that they added dedicated left and right mouse buttons)

Any pros/cons that you could use to help me would be much appreciated.

2. toiletstand

toiletstand /\'...'/\

Ive heard a lot of complaints about the bluray drives when it comes to HP laptops. i dont know if thats a deciding factor for you but ive had issues with it myself.

3. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Seems good to me. Good processor, good memory size and it seems it's correctly a triple channel set of 3x2gb (unless they somehow got two 3gb chips but I've never personally seen those made). Only thing, I bet the hard drive is 5200rpm and it would be best at 7200rpm. Doesn't seem to say on the specs page. Even so, you could always swap out the drive for $60 if you wanted. If you're not recording a shitload of tracks at once it's a non issue anyway, 5200 should be just fine. Only other thing is it appears the video card uses system ram, not too big a deal for audio use, just allocate like 512mb, you could even do 256mb for that matter - never had a problem with that size myself for a DAW.

Remember though, if this is just going to be a DAW and not also your internet laptop, to remove all the bullshit that HP includes and starts up automatically as well as the antivirus software. Of course, if you're using it as a general use machine and will be on the net you'll want to keep the AV software installed. Personally, my DAW is off the net and the NIC is disabled. I only turn it on to do updates then it goes back off.

Rev.

4. dacimvrl

dacimvrl ss.org irRegular

for that price, it definitely looks great, only complaint is that it lacks a discrete gfx card.

just saying, autocad, photoshop would benefit a lot from a discrete gfx solution. (at the expense of battery power and heat of course.)

5. Sicarius

Sicarius Reggie J Worthington

You really don't want to try and do AutoCAD on a laptop.

6. BigPhi84

Yeah, the HD is 5400RPM. That's why I'd probably switch to the Solid State Drive as soon as I could afford to.

I've read about other people doing it, but I never got the memo on why they keep their studio computer off the internet grid, so to speak. Can you explain?

Thanks.

7. BigPhi84

How so?

8. BigPhi84

Why not? (Genuinely wanting to know... not trying to sound like a dick)

9. toiletstand

toiletstand /\'...'/\

It wont read most blu ray discs. it says it needs to update the codec and the software dudes never updated it. alot of people were forced to pay for the paid bluray software.

10. Sicarius

AutoCAD, to get the most of it, you need a good Video Card. Either a higher end gaming one or one of the Professional ones.

There's a lot of processing that goes on with the program, causing the video card and other involved components are going to put out a lot of heat.

Laptops + lots of Heat = bad.

people tend to keep their studio comps off line because of some jerk coming through and leaking everything, maybe?

11. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

It's just a matter of avoiding the risk of getting malware/virus infections. As an IT Technician I only got a virus once using Windows, as I'm very careful, and easily cleaned it out manually. But, I've been a Linux fan/user for years so my general use PC is Ubuntu Linux. My DAW is my only machine running Windows.

Rev.

12. Sicarius

Ubuntu <3