What do you think about the BBE sonic stomp?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Nick6505djent, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Nick6505djent

Nick6505djent dj0nt

I've been checking out the BBE sonic stomp on youtube lately and I've been really digging it. I hear it adds a lot of clarity to your tone which is what I really like because sometimes my 6505 sounds a bit over saturated when I add to much gain. The only problem I've heard on the videos I've watched is that it adds a lot of midrange to it, and with my tubescreamer I feel it may be overkill on the mids. What are your thoughts on the pedal?

2. Chris_H87

Chris_H87 Gear Whore

I use mine with a 6505+ among others. It doesn't add a mid range that I could really speak of, not like a Tubescreamer. It really helps, as you said, bring clarity to the amp. I keep the lo contour at about 11 o'clock to enhance the lows and sub lows, and the process at about 10 as this is a little like a presence function and can get a bit ice picky if up too far. With conservative settings, it doesn't sound like your signal is processed but adds clarity and punch without really affecting your tone.
    It isn't actually adding any extra frequencies, just enhancing them by re-ordering before hitting the power stage of your amp. With the pedal on and both knobs at 0 there is very little, to no, difference.

3. noUser01

noUser01 Still can't play.

Your name is Nick6505djent and you're worried about too much midrange? :D

I've got the BBE Stinger (older version of the Sonic Maximizer) and yeah, when used conservatively it can be really helpful, but it's very hit and miss. It depends on your rig.

4. Nick6505djent

Nick6505djent dj0nt

Hahaha, yeah I was about to write in parenthesis (contradicting my username) lol, I like djent bands but some of the tones are obnoxious and give me headaches if theres no bottom end and all midrange. With my tone I like a good tight punchy bottom end with a clear and defined midrange that doesn't sound super honky.

5. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Try a different OD like the Boss SD-1.

6. SlaveUnit

SlaveUnit SS.org Regular

It can add some dynamics on the top or bottom end...not really midrange though.

7. op1e

op1e Spirit Taker

I like it way better than the rackmount, when bypassed I see no tonal difference, unlike the 462. I run mine after my rack pre or peavey head and it adds a nice kick to the signal plus clarity. I run process at noon and low contour at 1 o'clock.

8. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

I'm getting some decent low end boost from it in the loop of my 6505+. It helps slightly with the mid-heavy voice of the PV.

9. AngstRiddenDreams

AngstRiddenDreams Filthy Casual

Just food for thought, but maybe try turning your gain down? There isn't much you can do when you already have a tube screamer boosting that's gonna add clarity. Sounds to me like less distortion is what you need.

10. GizmoGardens

GizmoGardens ECE/MetalHead

it won't add mid range. its a variable state filter that boosts at 50Hz and 5kHz, so as you raise both you're scooping mids out. and don't buy into any of that phase correction stuff they like to throw out. Im inclined to believe that those claims are marketing BS

Posted from Sevenstring.org App for Android

11. Quitty

Quitty Hates 'mojo'

Ok, wat?..
    I'm assuming you tested this?

The BBE process, AFAIK, is a registered patent. It's a crossover with pre-set latencies and a variable mix control.
    I'd be quite shocked if that isn't the case.

EDIT: It would appear it's uncertain whether it's a fancy EQ or a multiband compressor. Oh my.

12. GizmoGardens

tested what exactly? the manual says "+12dBu at 50Hz" and "+12dBu at 5kHz" and if you look at the data sheet for the NJM2150AD chip it more or less says what it is (a couple filters). I think what did was describe the phase response of their unit and called it a benefit

13. GizmoGardens

I've never heard anyone call it a compressor

14. whatupitsjoe

whatupitsjoe SS.org Regular

I want to add a question, with the 6505+ would you throw it through the FX loop away from any other pedals you're running, or does it work best in front of the amp?

15. GizmoGardens

When I had my JSX, I put it in the effects loop... But I don't see any reason why you couldn't put it out front. When in doubt, try both.

16. noUser01

That's a bit of a narrow-minded way of looking at it...

Basically the BBE is a two-band EQ. If you raise both knobs, obviously it will be sort of like scooping your mids. But you can also use the device to put your bass and treble in places you might want it but can't normally get it from other parts of your rig. You may be able to get the kind of treble you want from the BBE, because your amp controls aren't voiced quite the way you want for example.

The other thing to keep in mind is that while raising either knob will even out your tone, and in reality be scooping the mids out, that doesn't mean: BBE = Scooped Mids = Bad. In moderation you can still have a great mid-heavy tone, but it should not be used with the assumption that you're just getting more clarity and that the rest of your tone is left the same (which seems to be the way it is presented by much of its users).

Again, just because it boosts your bass and middle, doesn't mean using the device will give you a scooped mid tone. It's the same thing with using your bass and treble knob on your amp, you won't get a scooped tone by using them on anything other than zero, but if you know what to do you can set them so you have all the mids you want with all the bite and low end you need as well.

17. GizmoGardens

Is that really different than what I said? I didnt make any judgments on quality and I made no subjective claims. the OP asked if it would boost mid range, I answered ans quoted the spec sheet. The entire sonic maximizer is exactly that simple: one knob to boost 50Hz and one knob to boost 5kHz. Use them both and you're effectively scooping you're EQ.

18. noUser01

That wasn't my point, my point was that as soon as people hear the word "scooped" they go "This product is bad because it scoops my mids." It's not quite that simple. I wasn't attacking you or your understanding of the product, just wanted to clarify this for other people.

19. Quitty

Quitty Hates 'mojo'

Putting it out front will compress the highs. Putting it in the loop will not.
    There will be a difference. Try it out.

As for the compressor thing, that's what the original BBE patents stand for. I guess i'm having trouble getting used to the idea of it being just a shelving EQ. That's a terrible marketing con.

20. GizmoGardens

I'm trying to learn about patents because a friend and I may be filing one in the near future. From what I understand, you can basically patent anything that is unique, regardless of whether or not it even works. That could be completely wrong though, so don't take it as law... Just what it seems like to me at the moment. Expensive process though.