What do you play besides Guitar and Bass?

AMOS

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I own and play all of these, as time permits :)
I haven't seen a thread like this, thought I'd start one. I have:
7 Electric guitars
4 Acoustic guitars
7 Electric basses
1 Acoustic bass
1 Irish Bouzouki
1 Electric cello
1 Electric violin
1 Acoustic viola
1 Flute
1 Lap steel guitar (8 string)
1 Irish whistle
1 Digital piano
2 Synth's

mikernaut

pixel pusher
Reaction score
I got into Eurorack stuff over the quarantine. Also bought a couple plug ins/Vsti's and have been working on a ambient Ep. for fun.

Attachments

• IMG_5222.JPG
    IMG_5222.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5222_b.jpg
    IMG_5222_b.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8

KnightBrolaire

OnlyPointies™
Reaction score
kazoo
banjotar
guitalele
ukulele (poorly)
mandolin (also poorly)
I have like 20+ electrics, 1 acoustic and 1 nylon string flamenco guitar, 1 bass
i dabble with piano but mostly for making beats/ambient stuff

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I bought an Alesis Nitro Mesh kit on Black Friday, I've played it all of two times because it's my first new hobby in several years, and between my gym/work schedule I hate the idea of being a beginner at something at 32 so it collects dust.

Reaction score
... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
I used to play "door bells" when a kid, I had a song with the buddies like this (I think you can guess the melody, it's cheerful an proper to an end of the year celebration):

Ring the bell, ring the bell, ring and run away!
Oh what fun it is to run,, ringing all the day!...
(repeat)
... And if they'll surprise us,
and don't let us run away...
and ask us "what 'u doin'?"
"Fuck Off" we will say!...

(Ok, it's the "Jingle Bells" song)

Now, for a bit more serious reply, I started at the piano from 6 to 12 (I cans till do up and down scales and find my way around some chords, but that's it), by 14 (early 90's) picked up the guitar and case closed. By late 90's/early 00's I did some 6 string Bass but quickly set myself to guitar only with my first 7 stringer by 2002. From then, only guitars in my hands, either electric, acoustic or fretless, most are 7 stringers (the acoustic and fretless included). I can also play pretty well (I think) hand held percussion, like Djambés, Darboukas and that sort of world/traditional African style drums.

... so mostly door bells... it's pretty hard to find an appealing and unmistakable ring of yourself, so when you ring, everyone knows it's you... that's hard... 😁 .. to make it pleasantly!

Last edited:

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
I play guitar, bass and Piano. I also eventually want to pick up the Drums, Violin, Cello, and possibly even sing.

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I can play "Wipeout" on drums. It's the one song I can play front-to-black.

Other than that, I can make it sound like I play bass, uke and banjo, but I don't. If I don't have to play within a key, like...if I just get to play and hold a single random note, would that count? If so, add cello.

Oh, and kazoo.

BenjaminW

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Drums for about 7 years or so. I used to play a lot of prog like Rush, Yes, ELP, Dream Theater, Genesis, and King Crimson but I went from that into 80s stuff like The Police, Michael Jackson, Toto, and Journey.

Learning the prog stuff was great for learning how to play complicated drum parts, but the 80s stuff was great for really locking into grooves and building my time-keeping skills.

I also did band in high school which helped me improve a lot too, but I ended up spending more time practicing my music for football games rather than sit behind my drums, so my drums ended up collecting a lot of dust unfortunately. Now they're finally getting some TLC that they've been needing for a while.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Piano okay-ly. Took lessons as a kid, and last winter with my music minor. I enjoy it a lot, getting to play the full size grand for my recital was a treat. Hard to practice now because wrist issues.

Sing okay-ly. Had choir and sight singing as part of my music minor. Something I would like to get better at, as it is a non-wrist-involved instrument, and I enjoy it when I am practicing regularly and "putting in the work."

Amplifier. All guitarists interact with their amplifiers to some extent, but I have always really leaned into it. There are a lot of ways to interact, it is its own instrument with its own delicate intricacies to explore.

I like the idea of being good at drums and cello, but have never taken either seriously.

A drummer I used to play with gave me a didgeridoo, but it was more of a didgeridon't in my hands.

I am very proficient at bouncing knives balanced on my forefinger off of surfaces during slow dining service. I did some of my best work with a bread knife and one of those dense white plastic industrial cutting boards at Myle's pizza in Bowling Green, Ohio. Ah, youth and glory.

I did this just to pass the time, but later found an 8 inch nail at the dump and discovered that these skills translated quite well to bouncing an 8 inch nail off of a guitar string in rhythmically interesting ways. A screwdriver works too, but the nail balances in a way that delivers much more satisfying bounces.

Dayn

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Piano/keyboard, keytar, mandolin, ukulele, violin (7-string electric), various tin whistles, some ocarinas, and I can sing.

Singing, and the mandolin and ukulele are really the only things I can do reasonably well other than guitar. The rest, I dabble purely for fun and am by no means good at all. I also wish I could add shakuhachi to my list, but I struggle with my embouchure that I often can't even pretend that I can play it. I suck at wind instruments so much that I don't even blow at playing them.

mongey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Dabble in drums. Have an electric kit but don’t enjoy playing it that much , so don’t set it up often. If I had an acoustic kit I’d play drums allot more. But don’t have the space for it at the moment. We are planning a house renovation , and it will include a good music space.

So I usually just end up jumping on drums
For a bit at jams.

Vres

Surgical
Reaction score
Player of fifteen instruments and expert of none. :)
Nah, besides guitar and bass guitar I can play the drums and piano. In fact I started out with the latter two.

TheBloodstained

Casual music entusiast
Reaction score
I played the drums for a couple of years before I got serious with guitar and bass, and I can also play a very limited amount of piano stuff. Also used to sing in a choir. I guess I'm pretty well-rounded as an average amateur musician? :)

Serves me well when writing my own stuff. Having a drumming background makes programming realistic drums so much easier.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Beside guitars, I've played drums on and off since I was 15, but I'm definitely not good at it and never learned any proper technique or anything. When I was 15 I had access to my band's drummer's kit and played on that a lot, his double pedals also were great and I got pretty good with those. The hardest song I could play was The Faded Line by Lamb of God, which I guess is pretty hard now that I think of it.
Now my band's rehearsal place is in my basement, and we traded our acoustic kit for an e-kit when we moved here, so in theory I could play that anytime I want. But I rarely do. Also I need to buy better double pedals, as the ones I have are shit, and one more pad for an extra cymbal (the kit has a spare cable for it hanging around).

I guess I don't play anything else! I have a banjo, but I never learned to play that, and I also have some keyboards, but those just don't really interest me.

Choop

n______n
Reaction score
Don't currently play, but I'd really like to learn how to play mandolin and viola/violin. I used to play drums very poorly, but never developed any real technique and would love to have a go at that again as well.

AMOS

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Don't currently play, but I'd really like to learn how to play mandolin and viola/violin. I used to play drums very poorly, but never developed any real technique and would love to have a go at that again as well.
Violin was very hard for me starting as an adult. The bowing part is easy, what's difficult is the position your left hand has to be in to hold it and play the notes.