What Do You Guys Do With Extra Amps?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by BenjaminW, Feb 4, 2021.

1. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

That's what I had been doing for the last year. Now I just moved my Fender into my room to use if I wanna sit at my desk and play.

2. groverj3

groverj3 Bioinformagician

Honestly, after moving around so many times over the past 8 years I only have a single modeling unit that I run through studio monitors. Everything else has been sold. Not that I had anything suuuuper special, but 5150 does make good chuggs.

BenjaminW likes this.
  3. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I mean, I generally sell them too, but I'm currently doing this with a Roadster that I just haven't wanted to put the trouble into selling - even the head alone is fucking heavy. :lol:

But yeah, historically I've always been big on selling gear I don't play routinely. I'm just being lazy and don't desperately need the money.

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

I only sell amps that I don't think offer a different tone from my current selection, or if the sound of the amp isn't my thing. I recently cut my selection down a bit (only 7 heads vs 10) but I'm already eyeballing replacements for the ones I sold :lol:

5. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

And here I thought owning 3 amps was a lot. :lol:

6. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I might, but honestly my Mark V can get within like 99% of anything my Roadster can do, and most of the areas it differs, I like the Mark more. :lol: When I get around to tracking my next album in earnest, I'll probably use the Roadster for a lot of rhythm tracks just to change it up a little and help the leads sit a hair better, but the primary motivation is going to be simply because it's there, and not because I really NEED the different setup. Honestly, switching from triode to pentode just for the way it seems to "blur" the sustain a little in triode (which rules for leads) and makes everything a hair more open and clear (which is probably a little better for rhythm) would get me most of the way there, but...

Right now, though, my Roadster isn't even hooked up to anything. I keep thinking about buying one of the Mesa amp switchers, but I don't really feel like I need it...

7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

Hah there are a bunch of guys in the HMAP fb group with like 10+ boutique amps. And a few truly insane guys with like 20+ like @DudeManBrother

8. BornToLooze

BornToLooze SS.org Regular

I have mine stacked up since all mine are combos.

9. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

Geez! High rollers!

10. Choop

Choop n______n

I'd just make a point to play on it off and on at different times, maybe it'll inspire you to play/write differently.

budda and BenjaminW like this.
  11. BornToLooze

BornToLooze SS.org Regular

That's what I like about my main 2 amps. One is a Peavey Deuce, which gets into old school Marshall territory with an OD in front of it, and it has enough bite to sound good, but to keep it at bedroom levels it's still clean enough that if I make a mistake everybody and there brother will hear it, where as my Katana, I can bury the flaws in my playing in gain, but my fingering and muting has to be on point.

Choop likes this.
  12. Mprinsje

Mprinsje st. anger ain't bad!

Hoard them. As long as I dont immediately need the money (and I can't see when that will happen tbh, but one never knows) I'll keep them and stack them.