What do you ask for of a Youtuber?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Guthrielicious, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Guthrielicious

Guthrielicious SS.org Regular

Hey fellows!

I hope most of you who watch/are subscribed to other youtube-channels (musicians) will respond to this as it would mean a lot!

Two questions.

To keep it short: What are searching for on youtube and subscribing for? Theory teaching? General guitar teaching (Which include licks, phrasing etc. etc.? Gear reviews? Composition classes?

What do you think there is a need of? More in-depth teaching or maybe less?

I'm starting a youtube channel soon (or beginning to frequently upload other stuff than just covers) and I want it to hopefully be a more community-based channel where YOU have more options between what you want to learn and what-not.

I'll just close it here and see what you guys think of it. You rock :hbang:

2. Xardoniak

Xardoniak SS.org Regular

Personally I stay away from things like "play this lick" sorta stuff.

Something like working with odd time signatures, abstract scales or uncommon chords (like AAL stuff) would be pretty sweet.

Make sure your videos aren't boring, give them something to stand out amongst other YTers.

3. mr_rainmaker

mr_rainmaker Resident Cherokee

original music,everything else has been covered...

4. Leveebreaks

Leveebreaks Dooooooooom

Something with multicam angles so you can see what the picking hand is doing at the same time would be a massive bonus.

5. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn Play more music

High picture and sound quality. Viewable in 1080p if possible, 720p minimum. Use a good microphone, sound quality must be impeccable!

I subscribe to Rick Graham on Youtube because he is a great personality in front of the camera, a great player, an excellent teacher and his picture and sound quality is top notch.

6. Murmel

Murmel SS.org Regular

^
    This basically. You can't compete with everyone else if your audio and video isn't top notch.

Also, unless you're comfortable talking in front of a camera, don't force yourself to do this. Not meaning to discourage you, just being realistic.

Good luck dude.

7. Nats

Nats SS.org Regular

I love "how to use a certain software" videos. Some of the stuff I've learned about Reason from youtube has been invaluable. Actually all of the stuff I've learned about it has been invaluable. I went from looking at the software and initially shaking in my boots from all the options and buttons and stuff, to knowing how to set up a sound setup to get exactly the sound I was looking for.

8. MoshJosh

MoshJosh SS.org Regular

If your going to do lessons tabs on scream and multiple camera angels are nice. I would avoid making your videos too long, viewers can always rewind if needed and as long as they aren't rewind for lack of information (that's where the tabs and multiple camera angels come in) there shouldn't be a problem

9. Guthrielicious

Guthrielicious SS.org Regular

Many good suggestions so far! I didn't actually know that the multi-angle thing was that big of a deal, but I'm just glad that it gets mentioned then!

Rick definitely does it well! I've also talked with him about this stuff and it seems that some of you are mentioning similar stuff.

Please keep it comming! I appreciate it.

Side note: The original music part will definitely take a part as well.

10. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

Minimum of flashy edits, cuts everywhere and stupid shit like camera shakes. We're there to watch you play a guitar, not see how 1337 you are at Aftereffects or Vegas

[​IMG]

11. Path

Path SS.org Regular

oh god camera shakes.....

12. Jason2112

Jason2112 I'm old school

I think a practical approach to music theory would be awesome. Even after 25+ years of playing I look at those theory wheel things and my head starts spinning. I think theory gets pushed aside with newer/younger players and if most people learned a little theory along with chords and scales, the planets would align a little easier for them. I follow Dave Wallimann because he explains theory in terms that are easier to understand, but his approach is not for everybody and his videos aren't structured like a course per se. Watching the pros like Paul Gilbert and Petrucci talk theory goes over a lot of peoples heads too. I think if you can do a series of 10-15 minute videos that build off of each other in succession, and are fun and interesting to watch, you'd be on to something...

13. coreysMonster

coreysMonster So long, Germany!

Here are things I detest:

1. Recording any instrument with an iPhone mic
    2. Recording any playing through a webcam that runs at 5fps - if you don't have a camera, just screen-cap the DAW, it's perfectly legitimate
    3. Sound clipping
    4. 7 minute intros of talking - if the video advertises music or playing, get to the playing
    5. In reviews of gear, the same thing. I've seen dozens of videos demoing effects pedals where some guy plays two chords and then monologues for 5 minutes on what everybody just heard and why it's good
    6. Drumkit from Hell in videos from 2013. Guys, cmon.
    7. When teaching a lick or a solo, not putting a shot of a tab over the video or in the description. For instructional videos, this is a cardinal sin.

This is why people like guys like Ola and Keith Merrow so much: Impeccable playing, video and audio quality, interesting gear, they let the instruments speak for themselves.

14. Metaldestroyerdennis

Metaldestroyerdennis Heavens Football Bat

Original music, with video of you playing it. Professional-sounding, as in not recorded with your computer or iPhone's mic. Keep dialogue to text boxes and don't talk forever.