What do I do now?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by bautista, Nov 13, 2014.

1. bautista

bautista hi :)

Hello guys! Well, I'm trying to mix some of my project's songs but I really suck at it. How can I improve it? I just compressed it and some eq was added. Also EZmix for guitars.
    Ezdrummer, 4Front bass, guitars thru line in
    [SC]https://soundcloud.com/bautistabaraybar/explorer-artificial-planet-salida-stereo-out[/SC]
    Sorry for my bad english

2. Jax_X

Jax_X SS.org Regular

The production has a certain charme and character to it, so much that I would just leave it at that, I really like it.
    Move on to your next song, try different production techniques, different plugins, different software, different everything. That way you learn as you go and it doesn't get stale or boring so quickly^^

I think moving on and trying out something new and collecting new experience will do more for you than stubbornly working on one project for too long :D

3. bautista

Alright mayn, I'll try with another songs I have! thanks :)

4. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

The biggest thing that I can hear is that your guitars don't sound very "full". Are you double tracking guitars and hard panning L and R? For the lead guitar parts that are by themselves in the mix, double track them to stand out more. Your losing the fullness of the guitar. Make sure you're recording to a click track.

The overall composition of the songs seems nice though.

5. bautista

Yes, I did what you said, except those lead guitar parts you are mentioning, to have more "CHON" style. But if I double track them, where do I put the rhythm guitar? I mean:
    hard Left: lead
    hard Right: lead
    Center: rhythm?
    Or double track rhythm guitars too?
    Thanks for the compliment! I appreciate that

6. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

No problem man, we are all learning!

I always trouble track rhythm tracks. Sometimes I even quad track them. When I double track, its hard L and hard R. When I quad track, I set the 2 tracks that have boosted mids to hard L and hard R, then for the other 2 tracks that sit on the higher and lower end of the frequency spectrum, I will pan those L65 and R65. The only time I will center pan a track is if it's a lead track that's complex,that I know I'm not going to double track. Hope that helps.

7. bautista

Yeah man, it helps a lot! Thanks, I'll do that later
    By the way, any advice on distorted guitars? They don't sound huge as I'd like to, should I add some reverb or delay?

8. Fretless

Fretless Knob Fiddler

A lot of people compensate for this with bass. They feel the need to use a distorted bass line that fits right under the guitars in order to beef them up. However, you could always try different EQing techniques, such as compressor placement. You may find your guitars feel more full bodied with your signal path being comp>EQ or EQ>comp. It always helps to try different things in different places. Also don't feel afraid to quad track your rhythm sections. I've found that really helps a lot when I do songs that require a lot of beef.

Completely different genre, but in this song I am doing mixing and mastering on https://soundcloud.com/fretless-1/falling-down-3/s-mo2ik there are 4 tracks of distorted guitar on the left side, and 4 on the right side. They are blends between an ax fx II and tube amps that the band owns. It works very well especially since the bass tone is relatively clean, and does not always follow the main rhythm parts. Even the clean guitars are quad tracked. Two clean guitars on each side, and two acoustic tracks.

9. bautista

Alright, I'll quad track them then! Thanks guys

10. bautista

If you have something more to say, feel free to do it :)