What cables do you guys use? Need a reliable brand.

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by kylendm, Jun 7, 2014.

1. kylendm

kylendm Electrical Mercenary

So I've had my run of cables. Monster never really worked out for me. I understand that you can bring them back to GC or whatever and get a new one but I'm looking for something that will last. Anyway, I found Lava cables a few years back. At the time they seemed very nice, lasted a while, and weren't too crazy priced but this is the 2nd one that's broken now.

Going back to their site Lava cables seem kinda gimmicky now. They have a wireless cable that goes for about $60 and an "ultimate" AC power cord. :nuts: So I'm not really sure if I'm going to go that route again.

I used to just make my own cables using Mogami cable and neutrik plugs so I might go that route again. :shrug:

What do you guys use?

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Make your own, it's super easy and it'll be SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper, even using Mogami and Canare cable with Planet Waves and Neutrik ends. As long as you can solder, you're good to go.

3. decreebass

decreebass ...Mulva?

My main guitar cable is one of those Plantet Waves circuit breaker cables. It's nice and doesn't get tangled easily.

Honestly, all of my other cables are just random cables, whatever I've acquired along the way. I know some people swear by one brand or another, but it's honestly never made that much of a difference to me. I've been playing for 16+ years, several of those professional, and I can honestly attest that there is SO much more that goes into your sound than the cable (though many will argue that some cables diminish or boost cerrtain frequencies and whatnot) but as long as I can't hear the radio when I plug in, I'm good.

As long as you've got a decent shielded cable that isn't too long (if you've got passive pups) you'll be good. The main things to look for are plugs that can be replaced if need be and durability - though one of my cables is beat to all hell with the rubber coming off the ends and it sounds fine.

But you can't trust my opinions - I'm the guy that doesn't care if the back of the neck is painted, satin, tung oiled, finished with Africanized bees, or sandpaper. I also don't believe in tone woods :)

4. Guitarmiester

Guitarmiester Awesome-O

Planet Waves & Livewire. Monster is great and all, I don't know about anyone else, but I get tired of hearing the lame GC employee stories while I'm trying to pick up some cables and leave. "Hey bro, check out these gold plated Monster cables with a lifetime warranty. My buddy mistakenly ran mine over with a lawnmower and, bro, let me tell you this... brought the two halves right back in here for an immediate exchange no questions asked, bro."

Maybe I don't cut the lawn and practice at the same time enough, but their stories are annoying when you know all they want is you to spend the extra money for their own profit.

5. Promit

Promit SS.org Regular

6. decreebass

decreebass ...Mulva?

I Lol'd :)

7. MikeyLawless

MikeyLawless SS.org Regular

Make em man. Monster split ways with gc i believe, they dont swap cables anymore? But yeah, four solder joints and your good. Most of my old cables went bad due to breaking of the factory solder joints. Luckily they werent sealed :D

8. Metaldestroyerdennis

Metaldestroyerdennis Heavens Football Bat

Make them. You get some mogami cable and stick some neutriks on the end and you have one of those $120 Mogami Platinum cables for 25 bucks.

9. Galius

Galius Mentally Guitarded

Live Wire Advantage cables. Affordable, reliable, and sound great. Even have a replacement policy.

10. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

The important thing to understand with instrument cables in capacitance, and how it affects & integrates with your personal rig.

I had a Whirlwind cable that allowed incredible amounts of high end to come through, and made it unusable with my Marshall 2204 which is a very bright amp.

A cheap locally made CBI cable of the same length balanced the sound right out.

Capacitance in cables is measured the pF range. Very small, but also strikingly apparent in comparison testing.

11. JordanStGodard

JordanStGodard SS.org Regular

12. Rook

Rook Electrifying

I bought a set of DiMarzio cables about 6 years ago and haven't thought about it since.

I could make my own but I don't have time or save enough money to care haha, I bought the DiMarzios because they have the safe lifetime warranty everyone else does, uses switchcraft jacks - which I'd chose if I were making my own - and just seem incredibly tough and don't get all wound up.

I have orange and red cables too, the neon ones don't get picked up 'by accident' like my black whirlwind ones used to.

13. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Another home-made mogami cables + neutrick plugs user here. :yesway:

14. 7stg

7stg SS.org Regular

The best are the ones you build yourself. I use Gepco x20ub it has double braided shielding, low capacitance, low resistance, and it's also reasonably priced. Gepco® Brand -- Audio and Video Cable Products --

I use Neutrik NP2X-B plugs. Some like switchcraft, I have not tried those.
    Kester 44 - 62/36/2 solder. Radio Shack has the same composition in their brand. A diameter of 1mm or .04" or smaller is a good size to work with.
    Kester 186 flux pen. Electronic flux helps the solder flow well.
    Heat shrink tubing

Cables with a low capacitance include

Van-Damme Silver Series Session Grade instrument cable Lo-Cap55 - with a capacitance of 16.8pF/Ft Resistance 36Ohm/Km
    Gotham GAC-1 ultra Pro Guitar - with a capacitance of 21.3pF/Ft Resistance 85Ohm/Km
    Klotz AC110SW - with a capacitance of 21.3pF/Ft
    Gepco XB20UB - with a capacitance of 22.3pF/Ft Resistance 34.02Ohm/Km
    Cardas Golden Chord Musician's Cable - with a capacitance of 22.8pF/Ft
    Sommer Stratos - with a capacitance of 23.8pF/Ft Resistance 39Ohm/Km
    Lava Cable ELC - with a capacitance of 21pF/Ft or 28pF/Ft depending on the page on their web site
    Elixir
    George L

Cables with a higher capacitance include

Van-Damme - Silver Series Session Grade instrument cable Hi-Cap 125: with a capacitance of 38.1 pF/Ft
    Belden - 8410 with a capacitance of 33pF/Ft, 9778 with a capacitance of 45pF/Ft
    Redco - TGS-HD with a capacitance of 44pF/Ft
    Mogami - W2319 with a capacitance of 47.3pF/Ft
    Canare - GS-6 with a capacitance of 49.0pF/Ft

Learning to solder is a good skill to learn as a guitarist. To learn, I recommend practicing tinning 20 or so snips of 22 AWG stranded wire which is what is used for wiring guitars.. Use electronic flux, it helps things flow nicely. For solder, 62/36/2 tin, lead, silver is what I use, and 63/37 or 60/40 will work too, lead free solder typically melts at hotter temperatures which requires a more skillful touch to not melt the shielding on the wire.

Here is the first video of a good tutorial. It's older but good.

here is the playlist
    Basic Soldering Lessons 1 - 9 - YouTube

15. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I've built a few cables from parts found here: Audiopile Products, EWI Cables and Cases with great results.

I'll be buying another 20-25 feet of cable from them and a bunch of Neutrik ends to rewire the bulk of my rig soon :)

16. oniduder

oniduder HONKEY DONKEY

even though this has been done, i'll chime in and say i really like analysis plus,

not the super duper ones that cost 300-20k or some other absurdity but just the black ovals

love em

probably still too expensive but idk i like em so whatev

thnaks

17. ZeroS1gnol

ZeroS1gnol SS.org Regular

I swear by the cheaper Planet Waves cables, because they sound very bright and at that price it doesn't hurt to have a set of backups. I've had only two break on me in five years, but kind of depends on how abusive you are on your cables. You get lifetime warranty, so basically I'm set for life with the four I have now ;p. Also, I see lots of guitarists roll up their cables incorrectly, just asking for breaks.

18. NinjaRaf

NinjaRaf SS.org Regular

Been using planet waves cables for like 10 years, now. Ive had 3 break on me in that amount of time, and I just take them back to GC and get a new one, no questions asked. I keep buying them. I probably have like 20 PW cables.

19. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

I'm one of those people that seem to really like Monster Rock cables. However, since I never seem to have the money to afford a 20' one, I usually shill out for a cheapie livewire. They're affordable and get the job done. They do crap out after a while, but they're cheap enough to where I can replace them quickly and without hassle.

I'm starting to consider wanting to make my own though. George L's cable with Neutrik ends seems to be the best way to go there. It would certainly save me some hassle in getting the proper cable length and I could make me some nice angled patch cables as well.

20. Haunted Cereal

Haunted Cereal I am Sammy Jankis

I love my Mogami platinums. I'll never use anything else. Also, guys almost every brand gc carries will do a swap if it doesn't work. I worked there for three years and am still a customer and I've swapped plenty of cables over the years, both mine and customers. The only ones they usually don't do are the suuuuuuuuuuper cheap ones that they keep in spools and stuff in front of the counter. But also, as suggested by many others, just buy bulk cable and solder your own neutrik tips onto them. It's cheap and easy and you can get whatever length you want.