What cab should i get for my first tube amp?

wakjob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you're not shy about your playing, and have some decent music stores in a reasonable driving distance, my recommendation is to take that amp out and try some different speaker/cabs in person.

mechanyx

Some Kind of Munster
Reaction score
Not all V30 cabs are created equal. The actual cabinet matters a lot. I would get an Orange PPC112.

guitar_player4_2_0

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have an EVH 112 for sale in the gear section. Just sayin lol. I also have a Mesa 112 with a V30. I’d say the Mesa sounds a bit more scooped with a bit more treble. The EVH has a more mid pronounced sound to me. Both sound great.

WarMachine

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not much to add other than congrats on taking the plunge, fuck thy neighbors and get a 4x12 with some Greenback 20s or V30s and profit.

John

New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh
Reaction score
Nissan Frontier crew cab.

Not all V30 cabs are created equal. The actual cabinet matters a lot.
On a mere serious note, absolutely agree with this. Case in point, MESA has an oversized and a more traditional sized variant of their Rectifier cab. The former has more low end, in comparison.

GreatGreen

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Okay, so now i spotted a used EVH 1x12 with a Celestion G12H in it. This is a bit more expensive, but it would be really cool with a matching cab to the EVH LBX-S. :cool:
I read that this one isn't as bright as the V30, so maybe it could work well to balance out the tone of a 1x12 cab? Anyone tried it?

I love EVH amps and their 4x12 cabs, but I'd stay away from their 1x12 cabs. They put the logo directly in the center of the cab, right on the speaker's axis, and because of that it sounds strange to me.

If you are going to get the EVH 1x12, I'd see if there was a way you could remove the front EVH badge, then get in there and cut out that strip of wood that crosses in front of the speaker. It won't be great for resale value but it will improve the sound of the cab by a ton.

Flamedmaple

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thank everyone for the input. Right now i'm mostly thorn between if i should aim for a cheaper 212 or a more expensive 112. Currently it's leaning more towards the later alternative, since space also is needs to be taken in to account

ATRguitar91

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thank everyone for the input. Right now i'm mostly thorn between if i should aim for a cheaper 212 or a more expensive 112. Currently it's leaning more towards the later alternative, since space also is needs to be taken in to account
Flip a 212 on its side and the footprint is the same as a 112. That's how I have mine oriented.

Dr. Caligari

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I would look at used cabs personally. A decently made 2x12 if you can't swing a 4x12. A bunch of the current production speakers that are popular I just don't like. For example v30. I would not want to jam at home with a Harley Benton v30 cab. It doesn't sound good to me. But tastes vary, which is why the best thing is to try stuff.

Flamedmaple

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I would look at used cabs personally. A decently made 2x12 if you can't swing a 4x12. A bunch of the current production speakers that are popular I just don't like. For example v30. I would not want to jam at home with a Harley Benton v30 cab. It doesn't sound good to me. But tastes vary, which is why the best thing is to try stuff.
Sure i'm always having a look on the used market as well. My philosophy has always been to not go for the cheapest alternative, that's why i'm quite skeptical of getting a Harley Benton. However from them i can get a 2x12 for less than what i can get an Orange 1x12 for. Now both of these include V30's which i think i would be happy with. In the videos and reviews i've checked, i always thought the HB was lacking low end punch and sounded kinda fizzy. I guess the Orange 1x12 would be lacking in the low end department as well because of it's smaller size. I'm really curious to know which one would do better...

ATRguitar91

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sure i'm always having a look on the used market as well. My philosophy has always been to not go for the cheapest alternative, that's why i'm quite skeptical of getting a Harley Benton. However from them i can get a 2x12 for less than what i can get an Orange 1x12 for. Now both of these include V30's which i think i would be happy with. In the videos and reviews i've checked, i always thought the HB was lacking low end punch and sounded kinda fizzy. I guess the Orange 1x12 would be lacking in the low end department as well because of it's smaller size. I'm really curious to know which one would do better...
Best thing to compare is the dimensions of the cabs. Those Oranges are oversized I believe. Bigger, deeper cabs are gonna have more thump to em. For example, my 112 is basically a cube, quite deep. I had a pretty small 212 at one point, and the 112 sounded better to me because its added size gave it more low end response.

Flamedmaple

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Best thing to compare is the dimensions of the cabs. Those Oranges are oversized I believe. Bigger, deeper cabs are gonna have more thump to em. For example, my 112 is basically a cube, quite deep. I had a pretty small 212 at one point, and the 112 sounded better to me because its added size gave it more low end response.
Interesting. I finally pulled the trigger now on a 112 Orange. I realize that's i just need to go for something at this point and try. It feels good however that i did not go for the absolue cheap budget Harley Benton.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
Love my Harley Benton 2x12. The V30s in it were super bright when I got it, but after opening it up, I realized the baffle had a pretty big gap around the edges of it, so I sealed them up with some caulk and put it back together and it's a whole new beast. For the price, I'm very surprised how well they're built. FWIW, I sold a Soldano SLO 2x12 I owned for 8+ years in favor of it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the 1x12 and now that I've owned the HB, would have a really hard time buying anything more expensive.