What Bands Have Been Able to Grow Their Style Without "Selling Out"

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by tedtan, Jun 19, 2019.

1. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I mean, to be a musician of that level is to be part of a business. That's the purpose of a business: to grab cash.

I get this as a definition, but it's so subjective as far as what "at the expense of the art" really means, that at the end of the day I still think the term is mostly a way of saying "I don't like this anymore". A lot of the bands mentioned in this thread are ones where, if anything, it looks like it really happened the other way around -> they made something commercially successful then used the freedom granted by that success to create whatever they wanted. Opeth is a great example of that. To me, to "sell out", by the definition given here, would be for them to just keep re-making the same albums they already made.

budda and USMarine75 like this.
  2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Build the Wall of Sound™

I can't edit my earlier post, but here's another:
    Celtic Frost. They went from thrash tinged with some artsy folsky influences to proto-black metal to atmospheric doomy stuff on Monotheist. No matter what it's blatantly obvious that it's Celtic Frost.

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    works0fheart and MAJ Meadows SF like this.
  3. ADADAD

ADADAD SS.org Regular

Death - 7 albums, no two albums are alike, all perfect or near-perfect, never sold out
    Gojira - record not as spotless as death, but same principle applies

4. MFB

MFB ExBendable

HORSE the Band - every album is definitely the same brand of "what the fuck are they on?"

5. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Dread it, run from it....

It's funny to me how people expect bands to rerelease the same albums over and over. Especially bands with 20+ yr careers.

I get it. In Flames have a more accessible, catchy sound now but so what? People evolve, tastes change. I can't imagine only listening to screams and growls over non stop bludgeoning death metal riffs like I did in my teens and 20's let alone being a professional musician and wanting to stick to that style for decades. If bands choose to do that fine, their choice but it usually gets boring.

*Golf clap*

MAJ Meadows SF and USMarine75 like this.
  6. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

7. fps

fps Kit

Just back from Metallica + Ghost at Twickenham Stadium. In every single way, performance, charisma, presence, songs, impact, vid/tech, Metallica made Ghost look like complete fucking amateurs. We were at the back of the stadium, after Ghost I was livid, after Metallica I was blown away in the best possible sense.

lewis and setsuna7 like this.
  8. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I'm not sure what the fuck happened, but Metallica's been killing it this passed tour. James vocal's are the best they've been in years.

lewis, setsuna7 and fps like this.
  9. fps

fps Kit

Just incredible. And the video screens and visuals and lighting made the whole thing come alive wherever you were, it was unbelievable. James was brilliant, the sound was massive. Also, frankly, there were points where the band was playing so fast and chaotically that it was really, really heavy, it came across almost as a white noise of heaviness. James sounds brilliant.

lewis and setsuna7 like this.
  10. gunch

gunch chungus

Car bomb is only getting weirder and more crush and kill WHILE bringing in influence from their old band Neck and Deftones

11. youngthrasher9

youngthrasher9 SS.org Regular

I do applaud him for facing and being open about his demons, but he smells horribly of virtue-signaling. Definitely the right virtue to signal though.

If you’re insinuating that I’m in the latter group you’re horribly mistaken.

A huge part of why I enjoy metal is because it’s so inclusive at its grandest scale.

MerlinTKD likes this.
  12. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

ARCHITECTS are the obvious one to me if we are talking modern times

MikeH likes this.
  13. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Not at all, just commenting on the black metal fedora gang that shows up hard in the MetalSucks comment section any time a metal musician's shitty behavior is visible.

zappatton2 and youngthrasher9 like this.
  14. MAJ Meadows SF

MAJ Meadows SF on a tone quest

your front yard, staring into your window
    Well, that's how the pop music world works. Most of the bigger pop artists of (insert genre here) are most famous or highly famous for covers someone else wrote. Or sampling. Fuck I hate sampling. Come up with your own fucking melody. When MOST metal bands do covers, it's true homage to something, or a novelty. If you remember a band because of a cover, that says a lot about that band's actual material...

15. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

The metal bands doing covers I'm talking about are the local/regional bands trying to make a name for themselves but instead releasing a solid single they blow a music video's worth of budget doing some crap-ass "NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC" pop diva cover where they pretty much play the chorus as-is and add some chugs during the verse or something.

MAJ Meadows SF likes this.
  16. MAJ Meadows SF

YES. Though with Gojira I'm missing the grittier amp tone and production from their first two records. But very true for Gojira. Death obviously yes, but also to note the spin off bands that aren't doing anything that much different and still kick ass. Redundant to some, but I love Gruesome and CIST.

I actually kinda like the latest In Flames. It;s almost a guilty pleasure, but it's still fucking In Flames, so what of it.

Cannibal Corpse will not change or sell out. At all. And they will be in their 50s and 60s still raping everyone's ears. That is my hope. There's also a good chunk of older bands that disappeared for decades and popped back up with comebacks, many noted here, and there wasn't much of a change for many of them. They didn't really evolve their sound, so it falls out of the OP post, but it does show sticking to a style no matter what. I like it both ways if either is done right.

17. MAJ Meadows SF

Yup, understood. Spot on.

18. Pietjepieter

Pietjepieter SS.org Regular

Ulver.... from black to 80s synth pop and everything in between (and always good)
    The cartortionist
    Pain of salvation (i think they tried to sell out but failt..)
    did i mentioned ulver?
    Ihsahn
    Leprous
    Night Verses
    Steven Wilson
    Devin townsend

efiltsohg and KnightBrolaire like this.
  19. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time

[​IMG]

nyxzz, vilk, Pietjepieter and 4 others like this.
  20. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I was at the manchester date just prior to that and completely agreed.

Boy did i pick a great time to see Metallica for the 1st time. Holy crap what a performance. Set was immense and the production and firework display was outstanding

P.s ghost were utter shite in comparison and i would have happily had no support bands and 3 hours of Metallica instead

BenjaminW and fps like this.