What are your favorite 7 string guitar scales?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by orion, Jun 8, 2021.

What are your favorite 7 string guitar scales?

1. 25.5"

47.9%
  2. 26.5"

39.7%
  3. 27"

23.3%
  4. 27.5"

5.5%
  5. 28"

5.5%
  6. 28.625

5.5%
  7. 29.5"

4.1%
  8. 30"

5.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. orion

orion SS.org Regular

I searched the forum but didn't find a poll with this question.

My favorite 7 string guitar scale length is 27" and I use it for standard tuning. 30" is my second favorite scale and I used it for lower tunings such as A standard (A D G C F A D).

I didn't include fan fret scales in this poll because it would make the list of options too long.

Acaciastrain360 likes this.
  2. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

25.5". I thought I wanted 26.5", but after getting one it's just not quite as comfortable. The difference is small, but sometimes the stretches are just that tiny bit more uncomfortable that it becomes the straw that broke the camel's back sort of thing.

Tbh, after finally trying a 6 with a 24.75", I think I'm a fan. It's a damn shame that practically no one makes 24.75" superstrats. I really want to try a PRS because of that - Custom 24 is 25" and it has 24 frets as well as (what seems to be) sane upper fret access. The ergonomics should be better too. I think PRS used to make a 25" seven string too, but everyone screamed at them that 26.5" is the way to go, as if nobody plays in standard anymore.

3. chipchappy

chipchappy thudmaster

silly me, I thought you meant musical scales. I'll see myself out

r33per, Hollowway, stretcher7 and 2 others like this.
  4. orion

orion SS.org Regular

My bad, I should have written scale *lengths instead of just scales.
    Unfortunately it has been over 60 minutes and I'm not allowed to edit the topic.

chipchappy likes this.
  5. Hoss632

Hoss632 SS.org Regular

The PRS 25 inch scale is very comfortable to play. It's really a matter of figuring out which neck profile of theirs you like most and getting a guitar with it. But I've played a custom 24, holcomb SE, McCarty, tremonti and a 245. I can say all the neck profiles are comfortable I just lean towards the pattern thin or wide thin. I've not tried a wide fat yet.

nickgray likes this.
  6. Taylord

Taylord SS.org Regular

It seems 26.5 will be the standard going forward on most production guitars. I have a 27" and I don't think it's very comfortable on the higher register, but of course the low end is great. Lots of great sounding records made with 25.5 downtuned 7 strings though. Haven't gotten to try 26.5 yet but I imagine it's a good middle ground.

orion likes this.
  7. Calibix

Calibix 16.666% more string

I read it this way as well lol. Voted 26.5" while I was here though. Just don't like my 25.75" as much. I honestly can't think of why because of the scale length, but it does only have 22 frets which I think is the real culprit.

chipchappy likes this.
  8. Marked Man

Marked Man SS.org Regular

I've got 25.5" and 26.5". For the style of Prog Metal I like to play, 26.5" is it. MUCH better clarity and feel for chugging riffs, but still manageable for everything else if you have at least moderately large hands. Much longer than that, and you start to compromise playability for certain things. I probably won't buy another 25.5" 7-string in the future after this experience, although I can't rule it out.

I also have a multi-scale 5-string bass with 37" on the low side, and that makes an even bigger difference where it is needed!

9. CanserDYI

CanserDYI Beauty can't be seen through the eyes

26.5 hurts my hands doing runs on the lower part of the neck, and I don't like the metallic "tinniness" of the timbre of the low strings transposed up the neck, so I much prefer my 25.5s, although I'm starting to hate thick strings. My kiesel coming soon will be 25.5 with a 62 on the bottom tuned to drop A, hoping I won't have to beef up the guage any higher as I'm finding higher than like 64 on a 25.5 starts to seriously mud up the sound.

10. Dayn

Dayn SS.org Regular

Difficult decision. I have a straight scale and a multiscale. The seventh string is respectively 27" and 26.25".

I chose 27", but only for the low B. These days for me it's multiscale or bust. Those higher strings need to be a shorter scale so I can make large stretches and wide chord voicings without effort.

Though I should say that 26.25" has been fine for me, tone-wise.

SymmetricScars likes this.
  11. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I don't have one. I'll take anything between 25.5 and 27". I do lean a little more toward the longer side, though. But I don't like shorter than 25.5 or longer than 27 (for a 7 string).

12. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

I like 25.5 for Eb with 9s, 24.75 for standard tuning with 9s—but not many options there when it comes to 7s.

13. orion

orion SS.org Regular

Do you have pictures of your 26.25-27 multi-scale?
    That sounds like a pretty good choice. I recently tried a 25.5-28.625 and it's not for me at all. The fan frets are too pronounced and It's harder to play than my 30" 7 string.

14. Dayn

Dayn SS.org Regular

Sorry, the scale lengths I mentioned are only for the 7th string. My multiscale is 25.5-26.25", Strandberg length.

15. olejason

olejason SS.org Regular

26.5" for standard B works great for me. I use the Slinky Hybrid set which keeps the high strings from feeling too tight.

16. onefingersweep

onefingersweep SS.org Regular

Completely depends on tuning. 26.5" for standard tuning. 27" for half step down. 28.625" if I'm tuning lower than A. I think that gives the best tension for the low string without being too extreme on the higher strings.

17. CanserDYI

CanserDYI Beauty can't be seen through the eyes

Man does any company make a 7 string with a 26.5 to 25.5 multiscale? That's what I want. I feel like that is perfect, as my 26.5 inchers are great for lows but the high strings feel taut, and my 25.5 inchers I have to use at least a .068 on the bottom to get the tension I like and I hate the mud that comes from that string guage. Max I really enjoy the sound of is like a 62 to 64, after that at shorter scales it just sounds weird.

EDIT: NO strandbergs lol

orion likes this.
  18. luca9583

luca9583 SS.org Regular

I would say that it's always a compromise and it depends on tuning and fretted note clarity but here are my favourite scale lengths for individual open string pitches:

24.75" for E2 to C2 tuning
    25.5" for B1 to Ab1 tuning
    26 or 27" for G1 tuning
    28" ,29.4" or 30" for F#1 to E1 tuning
    32 to 34" for B0 to A0 tuning.

Gibson scale length, if you can make it work with the right string gauge, works really well for going down to C2 as the shorter scale gives those notes a rounder midrange than a baritone.

Fender scale works really well for typical standard 7 string tunings and it all depends if you prefer the midrange of 25.5" or the more piano like quality of longer scale lengths.

I find that 28" is a sweet spot scale length that has enough guitar-like midrange but also enough low end clarity to get down to around E1.

30" is perfect for E1 down to D1, but i find that standard 6 string tuning and B1 sound brittle and raspy at that length.

Bass scale lengths beyond 30" are totally worth exploring for going even lower.

Another thing that gets overlooked is that every time you fret a note, you've changed the scale length, so an open string scale length will have a big impact on how fretted notes sound.

19. Soya

Soya Poor person

25.5 for me, I don't detune 7 strings so it's fine for me. I have a 26.5 also and don't like it nearly as much.

20. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

Depend :lol:

27.5" is what I've spent most of my time on. Personally I think multiple scales are required. I'll track leads on a 25.5" and rhythm on 27" or 27.5". Live I'll play around 26.5 to split the difference. I could go multiscale and I do with the hardtail stuff, however I'm not satisfied with any of the trem designs yet (I use too much trem bullshit atm).