What are you currently reading?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Nicki, Oct 29, 2020.

1. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

I prefer real, physical books - I haven't even tried an e-reader, and not planning to, because to me reading a book is something to do to escape the online world, so reading on a device kind of defeats the purpose.
    I guess if I read a lot though, it might be more convenient...

Nicki likes this.
  2. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

Though I understand the sentiment of disconnecting from technology when wanting to read a book, I don't really consider an e-reader a "screen". The "screen" is an e-ink display that mimics the colour of paper and ink that you would find in a book. It's quite neat. Not only that, but e-readers internet capability are limited to access a few sources of data, such as the built in book stores, digital public libraries and newspaper articles. You don't get the distraction of access to the whole of the internet. Just sources where there's something in a print format to read.

Another advantage of e-readers is the form factor. If you're commuting and reading a gigantic tome, having it in a small size on an e-reader is much easier to carry around than a 1000+ page trade paperback. I personally prefer trade paperback because they're just easier on the eyes, but I don't want to carry one with me on the train to work. Often, I'll buy a physical book, then find an .epub version of it and put it on my Kobo with Calibre.

3. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Yep, that's what I hinted at at the end - if I did indeed read a lot (especially on the go), I might consider an e-reader for the convenience. But that's the thing though, I basically never commute. Whenever I read, I do it at home, so having a "1000 page tome" is no problem. I'm also sort of into collections, so physical books tick that box as well (though I have very few books, tbh).
    Also, having a device only for reading kind of clashes with my software engineer mindset - I always want everything to do everything :lol: But that's of course my own problem. I've been looking at those paper tablet devices though, and could definitely see myself having one where writing and drawing feels close to what real pen and paper feels like. Then I might also read on it.

4. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

That's a super interesting mindset. As a software engineer myself, I prefer compartmentalization and modularity. So having one device that does one thing very well is one less thing I need to rely on in my already over used phone.

I totally get the collection building though. My brain is going absolutely bonkers over the fact that 4 of my collections are incomplete (Legend of Drizzt, Black Company, Wheel of Time & Legends of the Dragonrealm).

I guess you're lucky that you don't really commute, or not since it doesn't give you time to read when you're not at home :p.

Though I will also give one final tick for e-readers over physicals is that you can get pretty much any book that's out of print in an ebook format.

As a general update, I'm almost done Fellowship. I'm averaging 3 chapters a night and I have 6 chapters left. So, I'm expecting to finish this tomorrow night and then move on to the Two Towers. Though I'm now kind of in a hurry because after inventorying my To-Read collection and picking up those Brandon Sanderson books, I'm really excited to get back to The Faithful and the Fallen and even more excited to start The Stormlight Archive series.

5. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

Wheel of Time. Getting close to finishing it. It's one hell of a commitment, I have to say. No more big series for me for a good while after that, though I've said this lie to myself before, haha...

Nicki likes this.
  6. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Yep, I just prefer to have one "master device" that does everything. Back in the day I used to dream of having a phone that would replace my camera and mp3-player (actually I never had an mp3-player, I was in the minidisc camp :lol: ), so I imagine the same would happen with an e-reader... Maybe an external e-reading screen would do the trick though.

Either way, I can't really justify having an e-reader because like I said, I don't read much and especially never on the go, but I could justify a paper-like tablet that's mostly for reading but also does other stuff (but then it would defeat the purpose of reading a book like I said in my first reply).

Yeah, I'm lucky that my workplace is a 15-20 min walk away from home, and I can work from home too whenever I want to / need to. I prefer to come to the office though, because here I have much less distractions and it's easier to separate work from free time that way.

Nicki likes this.
  7. myrtorp

myrtorp Jiggywiggy

Haha I hear you, took me several years to get trough that series. however it did pick up the pace at the end and I finished the last book in just a week. Overall I liked it alot.

Right now im reading Alan Watts "The Wisdom of Insecurity" and its a great read so far.
    Audiobook wise its all sci fi for me, currently "The Silver Ships" by SH Jucha and its quite alright. Maybe a bit long, entire series is 170 hours something, and I will probably take several breaks with other audiobooks in between. I never stay far away from WH40k books :)

Nicki likes this.
  8. ImNotAhab

ImNotAhab ChronicUnderachiever

Just finished the LA quartet series by James Ellroy. Really enjoyable, he has a very odd writing style but it works.

The level of racism from the characters is consistently shocking though, at least to my soft sensibilities.

Nicki likes this.
  9. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

I finished Fellowship of the Ring last night and went into the first chapter of The Two Towers. Fellowship took me just over a week to read through and Towers is a little bit shorter so I'm expecting to take the same or slightly less time to read. Hoping to finish the trilogy by the 20th at the latest so I can FINALLY get back to The Faithful and the Fallen, then move on to Stormlight Archive #1 because I'm really excited for it.

p0ke likes this.
  10. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Any of you fantasy nerds ever read the Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson?

Hands down my favorite fantasy books. The whole magic system and history of the world weaves together amazingly and by the end, all the loose ends tie up into a neat, satisfying package, even loose ends you didn't notice needed tying. It's brilliant.

myrtorp and ImNotAhab like this.
  11. MFB

MFB Banned

I read the first book of it, largely on the bus to and from NY one weekend, and then finished it up over the next few nights for the remaining chapters; as much as I enjoyed it, for some reason I can't bring myself to get books two and three under my belt. I should go back and finish it to at least say I did, but I've got more stuff to go through then I can count so who knows when it will happen.

12. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Stage IV GAS

I've heard nothing but good things about it, I just haven't gotten around to reading it.

13. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

The first book kind of stands well on its own, but the last two really bring things together. It's wild.

14. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

I was flip flopping on Mistborn vs Stormlight for my first venture with Sanderson outside of Legion. Went with Stormlight because the summaries appealed to me more. Probably will check out Mistborn at some point, but not until after I've gone through the 20ish books I have to read over the winter.

15. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Stormlight isn't done yet is it?

I mean to read that one too but I want to wait until the series is done.

16. Furtive Glance

Furtive Glance "Millhouse, lower those eyebrows!"

Just finished The Velvet Rope Economy about inequality. Good read.

Currently on The Hype Machine about social media. Terrifying but very well written. Will probably add it permanently to my shelf if it stays good to the end.

17. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

No, it's not done yet but I have more faith in Sanderson than George R.R. Martin. Sanderson is extremely good about hitting the deadlines he sets. He writes a total of 8 hours per day; from 12am to 4am and 1pm to 5pm. He's consistently released a book in the series every 3 to 4 years so far starting in 2010. He was also able to have The Gathering Storm from WoT out in 2009, then The Way of Kings out in 2010 and he alternated between the two until WoT was finished. He's a very consistent. I have faith that Stormlight will be completed while he's still alive.

18. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

I mean he finished Wheel of Time and it wasn't even his series. I have faith in him too.

Just so many of my friends I've talked to have decided to read storm light before Mistborn, and I just dont understand why someone wouldn't read the complete one first. But I guess if the description sounds more interesting that's a pretty good reason haha.

19. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

I think it's mroe because Stormlight is a true epic fantasy, where as Mistborn is a cross between a heist and fantasy. That being said, if someone really enjoyed Sanderson's style of storytelling and read Stormlight first, then Mistborn inbetween Stormlight releases, win-win?

LiveOVErdrive likes this.
  20. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

The real takeaway is I need to read storm light