What are you currently learning?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Mboogie7, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Mboogie7

Mboogie7 SS.org Regular

What’s everybody currently working on learning? I’ve been getting really inspired again as of late and while I figure out what music I’d like to start studying, I figured I’d see what everyone else is currently working on.

2. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

I'm trying to learn how to shred because I want my songs to have cool solos!

Omzig and Wildebeest like this.
  3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Stage IV GAS

Jerry Reed's The Claw
    Clair De Lune- Debussy

I've been less motivated to play electric lately so I'm trying to augment it with more classical/bluegrass stuff.

4. Choop

Choop n______n

Falling to Pieces - Firewind

I made a list of solos that I would like to learn, and this song has a pretty cool one that is short and sweet.

5. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time

Currently trying to learn how to play bass "for real" instead of the hack way most guitarists do by playing root notes with the kick.

The barrage of advertising got to me and signed up for Scott's Bass Lessons. They are actually really good and worth the money, imo.

Chris Bowsman and Flemmigan like this.
  6. mastapimp

mastapimp SS.org Regular

For electric - been relearning some Dream Theater songs from Evan's recent transcriptions, also been transcribing some stuff by Marty Friedman, James Murphy, Kevin Hufnagel.

For acoustic - I picked up some Laurence Juber fingerstyle books of Beatles and pop songs that are fun to play and half are in alternate tunings. I also have a Pierre Bensusan book that i've just started checking out that's all in DADGAG.

7. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

Working on my lead playing and running through the CAGED sequence in D with minor scales. I really need to work on playing in minor keys on a standard tuned guitar since I always seem to gravitate towards major tonalities on anything that isn't on a Drop C guitar or lower.

sirbuh likes this.
  8. Wc707

Wc707 SS.org Regular

Been in a rut, so decided to challenge myself with learning Jake's solo in Luck as a Constant. Been going well and almost got all the parts up to 85%. Still gotta piece it all together. Been finding by practicing each section for 10 to 20 mins every day or every other day allows better improvement for me.
    Also started learning Opeth's The Leper Affinity for something out of the ordinary for me. Some chord shapes im not used to so that's fun.
    I like to learn 1 "hard" song or solo, and an 'easier' one to keep my motivation up so i dont get bored and frustrated.

Mboogie7, sirbuh and Choop like this.
  9. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

I started learning Drop Dead Legs on Monday. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to pick up my guitar since Monday because I've just been busy with school work, but I look forward to learning the rest of the song (basically just the solo).

sirbuh likes this.
  10. Wildebeest

Wildebeest SS.org Regular

Working on the unison bit in "In The Name Of God" by Dream Theater, very slowly.

sirbuh likes this.
  11. Frostbite

Frostbite Periphery Shill

Animal By Humanity's Last Breath. Self titled by them is still a top 5 album of all time for me. Some of the riffs are impossible to listen to without a stank face

12. Chris Bowsman

Chris Bowsman Nu-Metal Apologist Contributor

I just found an old copy of John Petrucci's Rock Discipline. When I got into playing mandolin, I did the book thing and it worked out very well. I've played guitar for much longer, but never really worked through a method book.

I do remember JP's Six Minute Trill-Drill from Guitar World in the 90s, where you did a minute each of index-middle trilling, then index-ring, index-pinky, middle-ring, middle-pinky, ring-pinky. The last one was brutal.

watson503 and sirbuh like this.
  13. Soya

Soya Poor person

Working on learning fusion 360 to model parts for my 3d printer.

14. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

Basic speed techniques from uncle Ben on YouTube. I can’t shred, haven’t wanted to since I first started playing guitar but I decided to revisit it. Really for the show off factor if I’m being honest. I’m making far quicker progress as an adult with years of playing under my belt than when I was starting out as a kid. I like Ben Ellers videos and I still have my Paul Gilbert DVD I bought back when. I’m going to work up to that after I get the basics.

Lots of Bobby Torres Frightbox studio lessons in anticipation of getting my home studio back up and running. Nearing the end of a long arduous move and I can’t wait to get back into that hobby. Jordan Valeriote is now on my radar from the interview I watched from Bobby. Learning lots of tricks but it’s their processes and procedures I’m finding most interesting. There’s so much I don’t know.

Choop likes this.
  15. RevDrucifer

RevDrucifer SS.org Regular

Motivating myself to finish my album. I’ll go a few weeks without getting anything done, then blast through a couple weeks of nonstop progress.
    Work tends to take the wind out of my sails.

16. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

writing new songs.

we are going to cover whitechapels when a demon defiles a witch. i'm super pumped about learning that one.

17. 7Mic7

7Mic7 SS.org Regular

Rick Graham legato workout 2 / meshuggah songs with my first 8 string! (woot) Also I really force myself to play in classical position to keep my back and wrist as healthy as possible since I deal with lots of pain and want to get rid of that.
    I should write more but hey, as long as I play, I'm happy!

18. Wildebeest

Wildebeest SS.org Regular

Yeah this ain't happening any time soon.

19. BusinessMan

BusinessMan SS.org Regular

Working on incorporating some theory into my riffing. Mostly some simple scales